Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Terrible fun thoughts

Terrible fun thoughts Husky fs450

So lately I've been itching to get something a bit more fun to ride then my Harley. I'm not interested in sport bikes for the street. I raced too long and I know I would have a problem riding them in an appropriate manner on the road. I've been eyeing the Yamaha MT09 and I'm still considering that. I need the more upright position if I'm going to ride for any length of time. However what I've been really jonesing for is a bit of a hooligan mobile. Some of the most fun I've had on two wheels was racing my supermoto. It's a bike I wish I kept but the time was right and it was sold. I've been eyeing the new huskys. Specifically the FS450. Not really interested in the 701 it just seems a bit bulky for a supermoto..

I guess what I'm wondering is how reliable are the new motors? I would want to make this my around town toy. I don't mind doing more then normal maintenance but I'm not interested in the upkeep I had to do on my past race bikes. Does anyone have experience with streeting these bikes?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by union; 05-23-19 at 11:21 PM.
    James

Lifer

Re: Terrible fun thoughts

FS450 is closed circuit only. Not sure how easy/hard it would be to get on the road even in NH, never mind MA.

Maybe easier to start with a CRF450L and make it hotter than to start with a FS450 and make it legal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

I wonder if KTM/Husqvarna does the same thing with the FS450 MSO that they do with their dirtbike ones where they do not put for off-road use only on it anywhere and that opens a loop hole that can be exploited for this purpose.

There is always the back door route of buying the street legal enduro version of the FS and converting it to a motard. Pretty sure it is the FE450.

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    I wonder if KTM/Husqvarna does the same thing with the FS450 MSO that they do with their dirtbike ones where they do not put for off-road use only on it anywhere and that opens a loop hole that can be exploited for this.
    That's what I'm hoping for but I'm not in the know.

James

Lifer

You know, now that I think of it I swear I've seen plated FS450's for sale on the CL. One from NYS... so maybe it isn't as hard as I think. Tusk marker & horn kit and you're in.

I just picked up a '19 FS450. Came with a Certificate of Origin.

Can't find "offroad use" anywhere on it. In fact, it even states "notice: this vehicle is designed and manufactured for use on public highways and complies with all state and federal laws"

It's 100% a race bike, though... Holds a teacup full of oil, gas tank smaller than a big gulp. No keys, no rad fans, no cush drive, non-o ring chain, etc...

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I think the 450L is a great option. If you want something Austrian, You could go with an Husky FE450 or FE501 and do a supermoto conversion. Unlike their orange parent company, Husky uses a linkage rear suspension which I'm sure you know will be more suited for street and track days.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

The Off-road bikes can be registered, even though they are not equipped from the street. I think thats half the reason they are so popular in the enduro racing scene. Im not sure about proper lighting circuit and stuff on the new FS, it might be up to it. I can't recall any of the FS motors blowing up at Loudon, but I don't know everyones rebuild schedule.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Mike View Post
    I just picked up a '19 FS450. Came with a Certificate of Origin.

Can't find "offroad use" anywhere on it. In fact, it even states "notice: this vehicle is designed and manufactured for use on public highways and complies with all state and federal laws"

It's 100% a race bike, though... Holds a teacup full of oil, gas tank smaller than a big gulp. No keys, no rad fans, no cush drive, non-o ring chain, etc...
    Sweet. I'm not worried about the small stuff like keys and the final drive. As I said it would just be a short distance hooligan bike. I figure it can't be any worse the the SMR I had for that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by maxim_X View Post
    The Off-road bikes can be registered, even though they are not equipped from the street. I think thats half the reason they are so popular in the enduro racing scene. Im not sure about proper lighting circuit and stuff on the new FS, it might be up to it. I can't recall any of the FS motors blowing up at Loudon, but I don't know everyones rebuild schedule.
    I know my rebuild schedule was every season on the race bike. Or course I'm not going to be bouncing it off the rev limiter riding around town at least not often. I don't have an issue with figuring out how to get lights on it or making parts. Done it to all my bikes to get them where I want them. If you're running triples from PK you can thank me for them. My KTM was the test bed for gen1 and gen2 and now you get gen3 for the Huskys. If you're not running them then why not?

So far it looks like a go for me if I can get some cash saved up. Probably for next riding season.

James

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    I think the 450L is a great option. If you want something Austrian, You could go with an Husky FE450 or FE501 and do a supermoto conversion. Unlike their orange parent company, Husky uses a linkage rear suspension which I'm sure you know will be more suited for street and track days.
    I could do the FE450 I suppose. I do have a set of SM forks that I could hopefully install given the tubes are still the same diameter. KTM does use a linkage shock on bikes. The MX stuff has it. I think it's just the enduros and maybe just the 2 strokes that still run the pds shock. I also have a shock from my SMR in the garage. Not sure if that will work with the newer stuff or not though.

The big win with buying the FS is the wheels.

Last edited by union; 05-24-19 at 05:00 PM.
    James

Quote Originally Posted by union View Post

16.5" front, though, but you know that.

I could do the FE450 I suppose. I do have a set of SM forks that I could hopefully install given the tubes are still the same diameter. KTM does use a linkage shock on bikes. The MX stuff has it. I think it's just the enduros and maybe just the 2 strokes that still run the pds shock. I also have a shock from my SMR in the garage. Not sure if that will work with the newer stuff or not though.

The thought behind an enduro bike is it is ready to plate, comes with a wide ratio 6 speed, has a decent sized fuel tank, and has a reasonable service interval. All KTM enduro bikes are PDS rear. An MX bike is going to require substantially more work to make street ready and even after that it comes with quite a few penalties (service interval, gallon-o-gas, etc) that make it prohibitive for something you want to ride a decent amount. That last part is the main thing here; you said you want something to get out an romp around town on, an enduro with an SM conversion is where it's at for that. I'd honestly opt for the 501 myself, more torque and a longer service interval.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Mike View Post
    16.5" front, though, but you know that.
    I do wish they would stop doing that. Doubt I could score a set of marcheinis for the money I did last time. I suppose if that were the route I was to take the FE is just as good.

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    The thought behind an enduro bike is it is ready to plate, comes with a wide ratio 6 speed, has a decent sized fuel tank, and has a reasonable service interval. All KTM enduro bikes are PDS rear. An MX bike is going to require substantially more work to make street ready and even after that it comes with quite a few penalties (service interval, gallon-o-gas, etc) that make it prohibitive for something you want to ride a decent amount. That last part is the main thing here; you said you want something to get out an romp around town on, an enduro with an SM conversion is where it's at for that. I'd honestly opt for the 501 myself, more torque and a longer service interval.
    Ok something to think about. I guess in the end it will come down to what I have for cash and whats available. I do have a ton of parts left over I think I could use.

James

My KTM was the test bed for gen1 and gen2 and now you get gen3 for the Huskys. If you're not running them then why not?

So far it looks like a go for me if I can get some cash saved up. Probably for next riding season.
    I hope it all works out. I drool over the FS450 whenever I see one. Does PK (or anyone) make offset triples for the 701 or does no one bother because it doesn't fit well into any race classes where it'd be competitive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

I do wish they would stop doing that. Doubt I could score a set of marcheinis for the money I did last time. I suppose if that were the route I was to take the FE is just as good.
    I'm surprised they aren't shipping 16" fronts at this point based on what's popular in Europe. That said, it's a KTM, finding a 17 to swap in shouldn't be difficult.

Are there 16.5 street tires? I LOVE the 16.5 front for racing, you wouldn't think it makes that much of a difference, but it does. I would love to try a 16" but I've never seen a wheel or tire for sale in that size.

Unrelated, but I think the top tier supermoto racers are on the husky/ KTM MX bike converted to SM instead of the FS. I assume it's just for the extra suspension travel.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube