Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

textile vs leather

Question textile vs leather

is there a major difference in safety between textile and leather? This will be my first year so i won't be doing much, if any highway riding. the textile looks more comforatable and it wouldn't be so tight on my flabby ass. it would also be cheaper to get textile. since i'm not done growing, i'd prefer to not spend the extra couple hundred for leather.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

textile vs leather

An advantage of the textile is all weather capability. Vents for when it's hot, liners for when it's not and waterproof for when you get caught in the shit storms. Look for "armour" a.k.a padding.

Chris J.
    "You're going the wrong way!!!"
    "How does he know where we're going?"
    03 Aprilia Tuono, 06 Yamaha R6, 16 Yamaha XSR900, 13 VW Touareg

textile vs leather

for most street applications, textile will be more than adequate. Joe Rocket has had quality control problems in the past, but i think their stuff is up to snuff nowadays...
    love my Meteor jacket & Ballistic pants.

check out http://www.newenough.com for really good prices on new & used gear.
    -t

The only "intuitive" interface is the nipple.

Lifer

textile vs leather

Count another vote for Textile.

It's way better than most leather right now. I have the same stuff as Taylor, it's quite comfy in the hot weather right now.

I'll get leathers if/when I get to the point where I'm going to the track often.

Ben

textile vs leather

I'm a HUGE fan of leathers. Although I'll be getting some textiles in the near future, I'm a strong believer that nothing'll protect ya like some animal hide...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

textile vs leather

true, leather is king.
    but if you're on a budget, the price/performance ratio of textile just rawks.

crash tested, taylor approved.
    -t

The only "intuitive" interface is the nipple.

Lightbulb textile vs leather

hey dude i started with textiles and now i got a nice leather coat too.
    The leather i think will protect better. Not to say textiles wont protect, i just think the leather will do *better*. My friend has the exact same leather jacket as me adn went down at 70 mph and the jacket held up REALLY well. i was quite impressed and felt very happy about my choice in jacket.
    it is a little warmer than the textiles, but we got perforated so it breathes when moving. I also have a wick-away shirt i weear with it to help deal with the heat... and it does help!
    On the flip side... i still use my textile coat all the time as well... its waterproof!!!!!
    And i can fit layers of warmer clothes underneath, which i cant do with the tight sleeves on the leather coat.

all in all theres good reasons for both, the textiles will be cheaper to get started with. then branch up to leather stuff when you establish your skillz and have a wallet that just wont fit in your pants anymore.

p.s. leathers have great poser qualities too.

p.p.s. i didn't get the dinero together yet for teh leather pants that match my jacket, but i do have the textiles still... that just looks goofy. be aware, mixing gear will get you some strange looks!

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

textile vs leather

haha yea i was thinking of getting textile pants and a leather jacket, but i figured that would look really gay. i want a leather jacket, but i'm not to keen on guys and leather pants....they look much better on girls

Uppercrust Euro Rider SilverSurfer's Avatar

textile vs leather

Homophobia aside, leather is the BEST way to go, imo. Textile simply does not have the abrasion resistance that leather does. In a slide, you want the gear to hold up and scuff, not tear or wear away.

With that said, Dainese has just come out with a new material called "Stone". I tried on the Dainese Invader jacket at MotoMarket and I REALLY want one. It's a warm weather jacket only with the ability to pass a lot of air through it, but it's much more substantial than the mesh jackets that seem to be in fashion these days. Also the Invader jacket uses GP style armor, which is better, again imo, than the CE throwaway foam padding armor.

When it comes right down to it, though, leather is your best bet. This is a picture of me in my new Vanson gear; an EXO jacket (first one in the country ) and Technical pants (already sent back for more alterations). THIS is serious gear.

<table border=0 cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 width=100%><tr><td background="http://www.nestreetriders.com/images/fill1.gif"><font color=white size=1 face="Trebuchet MS, Arial"><b>SEAN
    01 DAYTONA 955i | 00 DAYTONA 955i | 89 KATANA 600</b></font></td></tr></table>

textile vs leather

yep its confirmed.... man in leather pants...

looks gay!

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

textile vs leather

YA BASTID!!

<table border=0 cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 width=100%><tr><td background="http://www.nestreetriders.com/images/fill1.gif"><font color=white size=1 face="Trebuchet MS, Arial"><b>SEAN

textile vs leather

Originally posted by DreamAngel
    funny how I have yet to see this first hand though - even so - I'd much rather Josh or Cameron for that matter

JK JEEEEZ!
    I'm sorry, my first hand was busy. My second hand is free though!

textile vs leather

what happened to my thread?

:cry:

textile vs leather

dam, i like that jacket. a price would have bee nice though

textile vs leather

Check with www.dainese.be and go right to their price list under textile jackets. The Invader jacket (full Stone material with only leather trim) is $203 + shipping from Belgium, or you could support a local shop and pick it up at MotoMarket for roughly $400 including tax.

textile vs leather

local shops can support my nuts

just kidding, but i don't have that kinda extra money laying around cuz i'm only 15 right now

textile vs leather

15?! What the hell.... shouldn't you be in bed asleep or something?

textile vs leather

its summer numbnuts. besides, i don't go to bed till about 12 or 1 on school nights. and thats why i'm so smart

textile vs leather

Skill level? He's 15, he doesn't even have a driver's license yet, and won't for a year to a year and a half.

Ian, are you riding dirt bikes at this point? Do you have any 2 wheeled experience other than bicycles? If you are going to get into motorcycles, I do think it's a good idea to gather information, but I wouldn't start buying gear just yet.

Lifer

textile vs leather

Ian,

Whatever you do, prepare to be raped.

My brother is 18 and just passed MSF yesterday, he's got maybe 600 miles experience on my dad's bike + dirt bike experience.

He's got a lot of money saved up cause he works like a maniac as a bicycle mechanic, he wants a 2002 Ninja 250. (Likes the paint job on the new one, hates the older ones for some reason)

I punched his data in on Progressive's website with the same levels I have, the quote was $1700, and I didn't put in speeding tickets, and he has two since he got his license.

Ben

Lifer

textile vs leather

He doesn't want to be the typical rider that gets a 600 to start (like me) and learns more slowly as a result.

I guess he wants to be the guy on the 250 who embarasses everyone else in the twisties.

He's about the same size as me but heavier cause he doesn't bicycle as much. He's probably 190 or something.

Ben

textile vs leather

The way around the insurance hit IMO is to buy an older, cheaper bike and skip getting collision insurance.

textile vs leather

i'm not buying gear, just asking questions and looking into stuff. i know i'm gonna really get hit with insurance. its really gonna blow but i guess i will have to deal with it.

textile vs leather

you HAVE to have collision unless your bike is completely paid off
    Right, that's one reason I tell beginners to buy an old cheap bike with cash, instead of a new expensive bike on credit..

textile vs leather

so is there a theft thing for insurance? i could sure as shit skip that. i live in the middle of nowhere. i don't think i have to worry about it being stolen.