Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

texting while riding

Re: texting while riding

Quote Originally Posted by Loun View Post
    Id hate to bring this up but... riding a motorcycle in general is not safe. If you think you are safe because you have 2 hands on the bars then you are lying to yourself. After we commit to getting on the bike and riding, we then make choices that either increases or someone decreases the odds of getting hurt but none of it makes riding safe. Hence the "Not if, its when and how bad." theory. As for riding in a tshirt, shorts, or sandals; for the most part that just heightens the risk of injury IF something happens. Either way though, what I or someone else does when they ride really doesn't have a lot of effect on anyone else here.

Hit the nail on the head.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Hm, I propose that texting takes more of your attention than any of those things (except maybe bee in helmet), but whatever. I generally wait until I'm at a light or pull over if there's some adjustment that needs to be made. Just don't be riding anywhere near me and I guess I don't care.

Yeah, obviously riding is not the safest thing in the world, so why would you do something so stupid to increase your risk? Wait until you're at a light, or if your texts are really that important just pull over. It's one thing to increase your own risk, but you're also increasing the risk of other riders and pedestrians (and to a probably less fatal extent, cages) and that's not a choice they're making, it's a choice you're making. Have some regard for others.

Last edited by Spooler; 09-10-10 at 08:47 AM.

Hawk Is Respectable Now WordTooYoMamma's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (Tilt: HTC-ST7377/1.59.502.3 (67150) Opera/9.50 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en))

Saw a girl on a scooter today with a halfshell helmet on. She had her cell phone pressed to her face with her left hand and was chatting away at about 30mph...

That's dumb, but at least she could (potentially) have her eyes on the road....

Quote Originally Posted by Spooler955 View Post
    Hm, I propose that texting takes more of your attention than any of those things (except maybe bee in helmet), but whatever. I generally wait until I'm at a light or pull over if there's some adjustment that needs to be made. Just don't be riding anywhere near me and I guess I don't care.

Yeah, obviously riding is not the safest thing in the world, so why would you do something so stupid to increase your risk? Wait until you're at a light, or if your texts are really that important just pull over. It's one thing to increase your own risk, but you're also increasing the risk of other riders and pedestrians (and to a probably less fatal extent, cages) and that's not a choice they're making, it's a choice you're making. Have some regard for others.
    I agree with you completely. It's nothing more than a straw man argument.

Mirrors - How often do you really adjust your mirrors? I set mine once and they haven't moved. And do you really think checking your mirrors is the same level of distraction as texting? I can still see the road because I don't just stare into my mirror, I scan back and forth.

Fiddling with clothes - I do this before I take off. My shirt doesn't come untucked because my jacket keeps everything in place. I hardly ever need to adjust my gloves or zip my jacket because I make sure everything is in place before I start moving.

Bugs - how often do you get bugs in your helmet that don't go away with a simple head turn or visor flip up? If I got a bee I would pull over immediately since I'm kind of allergic.

Checking out the hot girl - guilty, but my hands are still on the bars.

Hand signals - they're called blinkers, I use them. I put the stock blinkers back on because people couldn't see the ones in the integrated tail very well (previous owner installed it)

Texting combines two bad things: taking your hand off of the controls, which isn't horrible by itself but when combined with the mental and visual distraction of the phone becomes far more dangerous. Distractions in the car are bad, yes, but I always have one foot near the clutch, one on the gas (near the brakes) and one hand on the wheel (I drive a stick so I'm pretty adept at using one hand in most situations). I also have steering wheel audio controls, a dedicated spot for change, and I don't usually use my phone while driving, unless I get a phone call, which I usually end as quickly as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by EJLemo View Post
    You beat me to it. I saw that about a year ago. Crazy Indians. LOL

If staying in touch while you're riding is that important to you, why not buy a Bluetooth setup and just call the people you're staying in touch with? The more I think about it, the more I feel that texting while riding is one of the most irresponsible things I can think of. I can honestly say that the idea of texting while riding is so absurd that it never even occurred to me until I saw someone doing it.

I'm not trying to make this personal at all, I'm not trying to single anyone out or anything, but the more I think about this the more genuinely concerned I become, both for my safety and for my loved ones

Mirrors - This happen to me the other day. my right mirror slid out of position. I turned my head to check that there was no traffic. take my right hand off the throttle to adjust it. bam pothole. I didnt drop it but it only take one dumb mistake.

Fiddling with clothes - happens to me also hot summer day stuck in traffic i can guarantee i unzip my jacket. and i cant always zip it back up before traffic starts moving.

Bugs - sure its rare but being allergic to something thats pissed off in you helmet is major distraction.

Checking out the hot girl - so guilty, matter of fact ridin in boston that is my most common distraction.

Hand signal- blinkers do go out but idk texting way worse

Really i agree with Loun 100%
    You can be the safest, most highly trained, ride for 30 yrs without an accident, and not make it to the end of the street. Im not arguing that texting wont make ur ride more dangerous. But I feel it shouldn't be illegal. I dont think cutting tickets will change anyone. showing them fucked up shit like that link will. order my first bluetooth buyin a talk 2 txt app.

FYI ive never, not even at a light, looked or used a phone while on a bike. I know its not smart
    thats my rant

Last edited by repsol_kid; 09-10-10 at 09:38 AM.

Like I said, none of that is as bad as texting, and those are also things you don't have complete control over. Texting you have 100% control over.

Texting: you have to get your phone out, hold onto it, read what is written and then type something back. That's a lot of things to be concentrating on.

And it's not all about you. Think of others. Do you want someone else's death or serious injury on your conscience because you couldn't wait a few minutes to say "OMG LOL?"

I don't care whether it is legal or not, it's just stupid. Grow some impulse control and wait until you're off the bike.

Edit: like I said, this isn't directed at anyone in particular. Just anyone who thinks texting and riding isn't such a bad idea.

Last edited by Spooler; 09-10-10 at 09:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooler955 View Post
    I don't care whether it is legal or not, it's just stupid. Grow some impulse control and wait until you're off the bike.
    But I need to respond RIGHT NOW!!

I Dance With Will

i thought this was done deal. so 10 more days to go?

i think there is going to be a lot of traffic stop initially at least. i fuckin hate this.

"fuckit!"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12