Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

MA insurance

MA insurance

this is a quote from another forum

I live in Mass., and we're right next door to NH, which does not require motor vehicle liability insurance. The rule in MA is that if you live out of state and drive on MA roads more than 30 days in a year, your'e required to have MV liability insurance. They have no real way of checking but if you work in MA that's probably a dead giveaway.

Also, if you live in MA and have only statutory minimum liability insurance here, your coverage is not valid outside the state. Drive/ride into NH and you're not covered. Fortunately bumping up your coverage limits a little so that you're carrying more than statutory minimums is not expensive.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

MA insurance

I'd like to see proof of this.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

MA insurance

Originally posted by TheIglu
    I'd like to see proof of this.
    I posted it cause it kinda concerened me, I am hoping somene with a minimum MA insurance policy reads their fine print and posts up. maybe it's not true, maybe it's just certain companies

My insurance is good anywhere in US & Canada, but I have far from minimum (1m/5m/1m)

RandyO
    IBA#9560

MA insurance

Ok here is the scoop.... If you buy a minimum compulsory coverage policy in Mass, you will be covered for $5k in property damages to someone elses car, you will get $20 k in Uninsured motorist protection. The part that is most important is Bodily injury coverage (when people sue you for whiplash and shit). Compulsory Bodily Injury coverage does not apply if loss happens outside of Mass, ALSO, compulsory BI cov DOES NOT cover passengers in YOUR OWN CAR, EVEN IN MASS. Meaning if you fuck up, people in your car will go after your assets in the vent your at fault and they are hurt. Believe me, your friends will fuck u for a $.

You need to make sure you get Optional BI coverage, that will protect your passengers and will cover you out of Mass.

I have worked in Masshole insurance for many years, hope this helps.

All I want for Christmas is another rear tire.....

http://www.ratemythong.com/indexhome.php

MA insurance

I found this over on a site for Listers Insurance. It outlines the whole 2005 motorcycle Massachusetts insurance situation. Very informative.....

Somewhere between here and the Division of Insurance lie the 2005 Motorcycle Insurance rates. I've been informed they've been set, but not yet released. Some rating information has been released, together with some rates, but not all!

As information makes its way to me, I'll pass it along!

Before I get into the major changes to motorcycle insurance this year, I'd like to touch upon my usual "soapbox" preaching about choosing proper limits of liability.

We all own "stuff" and need to protect it! We don't want to lose our homes, our businesses, our bikes, our cars, jewelry, our retirement, etc. due to an accident, now do we? And we certainly don't want to burden ourselves or our families with walloping medical bills now, either, right?

We don't!

That's why I recommend selecting limits of liability no less than $250,000 per person, $500,000 per accident on #3,#5, and #12, ALL THREE liability coverages! That's right, uninsured #3, underinsured #12 , and optional bodily injury #5!

And don't forget medical payments #6 here either! We can now purchase up to $100,000 I believe, although the rate for it has not yet been set, or recognized by all carriers. Check with yours to see what limits they'll allow!

The first four coverages on the Massachusetts auto policy are compulsory, which means mandatory, and you have to have them to insure a vehicles. Part #2 is PIP (Personal Injury Protection) coverage. Remember, unlike your auto PIP, there is no PIP in place for you, once you've mounted your bike! Even if you're not riding it! You're on it? PIP is out the window! So, you think to yourself, well, I have great health coverage, I'll be all set!

Will you? You may not! And trust me folks; after an accident, is not when you want to hear the words "sorry, we're not going to cover you because….."

That "because" is that little phrase contained in HIPPA (Health Insurance Practices Portability Act of 1996) which states "we will not cover you while you are participating in a hazardous sport!" And guess what health insurers think motorcycling is?

That's right….. A HAZARDOUS SPORT!

So, stock up on that medical coverage on the motorcycle policy. Incidentally, it's one of the only no fault coverages we have left; meaning, you just send the bills to the company, and they pay up to the limit you've chosen, no questions asked! SUCH A DEAL! Incidentally medical insurance will assist you to pick up and pay any co-pays and insurance deductibles, should your health carrier respond. I remind you though, if you carry a passenger the limit will be shared!

Let's not forget about property damage to others, #4. The compulsory limit is only $5,000! That's a bit archaic to say the least, especially seeing as there isn't a dependable vehicle out there that can be bought for that price. However, one of the best buys in the industry is the premium amount to increase property damage. That's right; to jump from $5,000 to $100,000 costs a mere $14.00 or so! Now that my friends IS a deal, and one I recommend everyone take advantage of.

I still, believe it or not, see policies every once in a while, with $25,000 or $50,000 property damage on them. Believe me, this is not sufficient, and for $20.00 or less to purchase up to $95,000 more coverage; almost seems like a steal!

If you're looking to save money, try opting for a higher deductible on comprehensive # 9 and collision #7. In some cases, especially higher valued bikes, it will save you the "out of pocket" amount you'd have to pay in the event of a loss anyway! For a good driver it really pays off!

And speaking of the value of your bike, that's now how insurers will calculate the comprehensive and collision premiums, by the value of the bike, not the "CC"! That's one of the major changes in place this year. Again, if you have customized your bike and feel it's worth way more than the ACV (Actual Cash Value) of the formula that insurers would use to calculate the value of your bike, get an appraisal! A list of appraisers are here: listerins.com/appraisers.htm
    One of the most important changes this year is that the Division of Insurance has acknowledged rate classes, similar to the automobile rate classes.

Now when you got your motorcycle license will affect your premium! If it's less than 6 years, you'll see a premium difference; but you'll still be able to receive your 10% safety course discount each year.

There will be some riders who've had their regular driver's license for years, but have only had their motorcycle license a short time, that will see a change in their rating. I'm still waiting to hear how they're going to classify those who are not licensed to drive a motorcycle, but that are riding on a permit!

My understanding is that you will be able to keep your SDIP (Safe Driver Insurance Plan) step!

That's another change! The SDIP (safe Driver Insurance Plan) program is being totally revamped! The six year experience period has been changed, and your driving "incidents" for the past three years will affect your driving step and premium. It's a bit confusing, and will take time to digest, but I believe some of you will see a remarked difference in your SDIP.

For those of you that don't know what that is; each driver in the State of Massachusetts is assigned a "step" with which their rates are calculated. Everyone enters the SDIP at Step 15 which is neutral. (Why the number 15? Who knows, but that's what they chose.)

Previously your driving record was calculated on the past 6 years of your driving experience. If you had a spotless driving record, then you get 6 credit points, and became a "step 9"; that's the lowest, and the best a person can be. For 2005, that will equal a 45% discount on liability coverages, (Parts 1,2, and 4) and a 42% discount on collision coverage (part7).

However, if you had incidents and violations against you, your step would go up from the neutral number of "15" to whatever number of points you accumulated. The worst a driver in Massachusetts could be, is a step 35! For 2005, parts 1,2 and 4 will now equal 7% per point (or step), and 7.5% on collision coverage (part 7), so you can see where a bad driver could pay much more than a good driver.

Another major change is territories. Previously there were only two for the calculation of your fire and theft (comprehensive) and collision charges; that's now been changed to be more in line with the way automobile rates are set. Those who live in high territories will see a remarkable difference in their premium this year. It is, however, a lot fairer than how rates were calculated before.

Another change this year; is that, we're actually going to be able to get the anti-theft devise discount!

Yes finally, Lo Jack has come out with a version of their "retrieve" system for bikes; as of this month actually. My understanding is that only two dealerships in the state will be designated to install the devices (sorry don't know which ones at this point in time) initially, and the cost will be $499.00! The savings will be 20% off the comprehensive portion of the policy! The discount has been in place for the past year or so, only, previously there wasn't any device out there in the marketplace that qualified for it!

A couple of other optional coverage items that bear mentioning here are rental and towing.

Rental works as such; if your bike is in the shop due to a collision or comprehensive loss, and you need to rent one, you'll be covered! Sounds great, right? Don't jump up and down too quickly; because there's a hitch! The hitch is; the allowable limit and the price to purchase these limits!

The limits are: $15.00, $30.00, and $45.00 per day and I've heard this year they're allowing up to $100.00 @ day; but I don't know of any dealership, rental business, etc., that will rent to you at those prices. The $45.00 a day limit costs about $167.00 a year to purchase the coverage; and I've yet to see rates for the $100.00 a day option! I've been told that only some companies are offering up to $100.00 a day rental reimbursement, but again, check with your carrier, as this is an optional coverage, they don't have to offer it! Some don't!

Our bikes can now have towing coverage on them as well. We can get reimbursed up to $100.00 just like we can in our automobiles for a legal tow or roadside breakdown service! Now the problem is; who will respond? If you can find a company to respond you're in luck! And again, because this is an optional coverage, some companies may not offer it to their insured's!

Remember those of you who take the safety course will receive a 10% discount on your motorcycle insurance EVERY year, and not only that; you'll save your life! The course is called a safety course because that's what it teaches you; how to be safe out there! If you haven't yet taken it, I strongly suggest that you do!

This tutorial is basically for Massachusetts; however the coverage limits are recommended would suffice for other states as well!

So, that's about it in a nutshell; and as more information becomes available, I'll get it out to everyone.

listerins.com/

Roy B
    Yankee Beemers, Prez
    Dartmouth, Ma

2007 Suzuki V-Strom (ABS)
    2007 BMW X Challenge (ABS)
    1987 BMW K100RS M-Sport
    2004 Honda VFR (ABS)
    2001 Moto Guzzi V-11 Sport

MA insurance

Excellent post! My mother writes policies for an insurance agency and she has told me about the changes coming for 2006. So far though she hasn't received the details about the new SDIP changes and how "law enforcement interactions" are held against you.

The biggest thing that will bite a number of people in the ass is the experienced operator designation. Previously if you had your license for 6 years or more, you were considered experienced and your premiums were cut nearly in half. While that is still in effect, the biggest difference will be the state considering your motorcycle and car license in two separate time frames. For instance, you have had your license for 20 years and decide it's time for a motorcycle. You get your motorcycle license and are now considered an inexperienced operator (just for motorcycles). You then assume the bent over position when you go to insure your ride.

PIP is still an ass raping. You have to pay for it because it is compulsory but you will never collect a dime of it while on a motorcycle.

MA insurance

Originally posted by Cue Ball
    Ok here is the scoop.... If you buy a minimum compulsory coverage policy in Mass, you will be covered for $5k in property damages to someone elses car, you will get $20 k in Uninsured motorist protection. The part that is most important is Bodily injury coverage (when people sue you for whiplash and shit). Compulsory Bodily Injury coverage does not apply if loss happens outside of Mass, ALSO, compulsory BI cov DOES NOT cover passengers in YOUR OWN CAR, EVEN IN MASS. Meaning if you fuck up, people in your car will go after your assets in the vent your at fault and they are hurt. Believe me, your friends will fuck u for a $.

You need to make sure you get Optional BI coverage, that will protect your passengers and will cover you out of Mass.

thanks verymuch, cueball. can you elaborate about what type and minimum coverage limits you recommend? also, some of us do not own property so we would (i assume) be much less of a target than a big-ass real estate mogul who hits you from behind and is 100% at-fault.

sounds like you know the ropes - drop some knowledge! (and more PIP info would not hurt, either)

MA insurance

Originally posted by ZX-12R
    Excellent post! My mother writes policies for an insurance agency and she has told me about the changes coming for 2006. So far though she hasn't received the details about the new SDIP changes and how "law enforcement interactions" are held against you.

The biggest thing that will bite a number of people in the ass is the experienced operator designation. Previously if you had your license for 6 years or more, you were considered experienced and your premiums were cut nearly in half. While that is still in effect, the biggest difference will be the state considering your motorcycle and car license in two separate time frames. For instance, you have had your license for 20 years and decide it's time for a motorcycle. You get your motorcycle license and are now considered an inexperienced operator (just for motorcycles). You then assume the bent over position when you go to insure your ride.

PIP is still an ass raping. You have to pay for it because it is compulsory but you will never collect a dime of it while on a motorcycle.
    I'm glad I've had my M license 6 months longer than my car license....

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

MA insurance

What a freeking joke mandatory minimum Masshole insurance is, you don't have much better coverage than none at all, sounds like none at all in a lot of crash situations

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Freestyle Street Rider Brian_C6's Avatar

MA insurance

I got a quick question...

I lived in MA my whole life. I insured my Acura TL-S with Commerce Insurance Co. I had "full coverage" or at least "required coverage" when financing a motor vehicle. I'm pretty sure the coverage was 20/40 (typical coverage from what I understand). I paid roughly $1000/yr and I'm a step 10.

I moved to NH this year and my insurance actually went up. I pay $1200/yr and my coverage is 100/300.

Am I over covered? I figure less people actually have coverage in NH and I own my own home. My agent suggested the 100/300 but I'm not sure I'm in the best situation. Anyone have input?

Brian

MA insurance

Compulsory Bodily Injury coverage does not apply if loss happens outside of Mass
    That is the most important line right there. If you carry minimum insurance on your bike (or car for that matter), consider yourself uninsured when you leave the state.

If you are looking to increase your coverage on parts 3, 5, and 12 (Bodily Injury by uninsured, optional bodily injury to others, and bodily injury caused by an underinsured auto respectively) take note that most insurance companies want the lines to be equal. Some will let line 5 be different but most often 3 and 12 are kept the same. The good news is bumping up line 3 from 50/100 to 250/500 is a neglidgeable amount of money. On the other hand when you have to raise line 12 to 250/500 from 50/100 there was nearly a $200 increase in my premium. The jump is substantially higher than a car policy and is prohibitively high for a lot of riders.

For those interested in the experienced rider qualification, here is the new rule copied right out of the manual. This rule took effect in 2005 meaning this past riding season:

Rule 44. Motorcycles, Motorscooters, Mopeds and Similar Motor Vehicles. Experienced or inexperienced operator classifications apply to coverage parts 1, 2, 4, 5, 7 and 8. The experienced operator classification is applied when all operators of the motorcycle have been licensed to operate a motorcycle for at least six years. The inexperienced operator class is applied when any operator of the motorcycle has been licensed to operate a motorcycle for less than six years, or holds a motorcycle permit. When an inexperienced operator classification is applied to a motorcycle, the rates for parts 1, 2, 4, 5, 7 and 8 must be multiplied by a factor of 1.50. The Safe Driver Insurance Plan step assigned to an operator on a private passenger automobile insurance policy, if available, shall be applied to the motorcycle policy in accordance with Safe Driver Insurance Plan administrative procedures.

MA insurance

Originally posted by Brian_C6
    I moved to NH this year and my insurance actually went up. I pay $1200/yr and my coverage is 100/300.

Am I over covered? I figure less people actually have coverage in NH and I own my own home. My agent suggested the 100/300 but I'm not sure I'm in the best situation. Anyone have input?

Brian
    Consider it this way. With 20/40 coverage, if you were at fault in an accident and say you caused 3 people $100,000 each in injuries, your insurance would have split $40k among the three of them leaving you responsible for the remaining $260K. They would then go after your assets which needs no further explanation.

With 100/300 coverage it would have been 100% covered by your policy. They could however go after you for pain and suffering, lost wages, etc. which is why lots of people, get a personal umbrella policy which increases your liability coverage of your home and auto insurance to much higher levels.

MA insurance

Originally posted by sanfelice
    thanks verymuch, cueball. can you elaborate about what type and minimum coverage limits you recommend? also, some of us do not own property so we would (i assume) be much less of a target than a big-ass real estate mogul who hits you from behind and is 100% at-fault.

sounds like you know the ropes - drop some knowledge! (and more PIP info would not hurt, either)
    As far as limits for Bodily Injury coverage (known as Part 5 in Mass), you need to figure what your exposure is God forbid you criple or kill somebody in an accident. If you live in an apartment and make $10/hr, you don't need $250k in coverage.

As far as Uninsured (Part 3) and Underinsured (Part 12), you need to figure out for how much you want to be covered for if some loser with no insurance or with minimal limits injures you, kicker is, CommonWealth of Mass states that you can not carry higher limits for parts 3 & 12, unless you carry that much in Part 5 limits, catch 22 I guess.

Like I said before PIP coverage absolutely does not apply to anyone occupying a motorcycle, the only reason it is even listed on a motorcycle policy is to give you coverage if you are struck as a pedestrian or if you are in a car that does not have PIP coverage. This is why you need to make sure you have Part 6 (Med Payments), Med Pay is great to have and is relatively cheaper than the other optional coverages. It is for taking care of your med bills not for pain and suffering type claims. Pain and suffering always goes through the at fault parties policy, unless the at fault arty is uninsured or under insured.

You should get Med Pay even if you have private health insurance (blue cross etc) as it was lessen the lien the private health insurer puts on your Bodily injury claim. For instance say you had $25k in medical bills due to someone rear ending you on the bike, w/o med pay, the at fault insurance companies evaluates your injuries, the length of recovery, whether there was any permanent damage to you etc, then they come up with an offer of say $50k.

Lets say you except the $50 offer, the health insurer automatically gets there $25k back, you end up with $25k. If say you got $20k in Med Pay coverage, with the same $50k offer, You would get the $25k from the other guy, plus your own insurance company cuts you a check for $20k too, now your net is $45k.

If anyone needs more specific help, shoot me a PM and I'll send you my work #. I am not a licensed insurance agent, only a Senior Casualty Adjuster willing to share my knowledge of the MAss Auto Policy, (ok, disclaimer is over).

All I want for Christmas is another rear tire.....

http://www.ratemythong.com/indexhome.php