Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Thinking of a used Dirt bike

Hey did you see that cop RevHappy's Avatar

I see plenty of YZ 250F in the want ads these days all about 4K give or take. When time comes would anyone be interested in helping me test ride it, I know street bikes but I wouldnt know a thing as far as sound and what not comign from a 4-stroke dirtbike. I know to check the same things as on a streetbike plus some but could someone just by riding it might be able to tell if its down on power? Thanks guys & gals

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Hee hee...I'd be happy to ride one for ya. (Shut up, Rich! I mean the bike!)

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Well, i'm not to good on a dirtbike but have had 2 and they were both a new generation yamaha thumper. I'd help you out ( i think i told you that last time you asked about dirtbikes) when you're ready. A few simple details can tell alot of history with dirtbikes.

Yamaha

Sweet! Like I said If I go to see one I'll let you know in about a month I'll have enough to buy one, that or I'll put a deposit down on a Honda SL 2000....Yea its a Cage but a roadster 240hp cage....

Hey Doug let me know how ya make out. I'm thinking of getting Jen a used Yz250f either this coming season or at the end of it and if yamaha does change the yz426 to a yz450 with electric start and the 15 pounds lighter the rumors have it as I'm gonna pick up a new one for myself next season.

Chip

Chip I havent heard of this yz426 makes me want to wait for it No wait its perfect I'll get a wr250 or Yz250f and tell christine its hers after next season and fork over some money so i canget the yz426
    Yea thats it! I'll let you both know how it goes If I do get into one....
    ~Doug

The Feb 02 issue of Dirt Rider has the article on the 03 Yz450f and it also has an article on the 02 Yz250f vs the Yz125. Let me know how it goes... Brockton cycles has a used 00 Yz426f and a 01 Yz250f but I don't think I'd buy either.. the 426 looks stock (mostly) but kinda beat (from looking at it quickly) and the 250 is mod'd up... (pipe etc) but the front rim has some serious imperfections in it... (run through a river bed full of rocks?) so unless the price was REAL sweet I wouldn't bother.. but hey ya can give em a call ya never know.... keep me informed

Doug, if used, you'd probably be better off with something other than a YZxxxF for your first bike. The 250Fs (especially the '01s with weaker ignition) can be much more of a chore to start at times than the 426F. Just ask 125SX rider Kelly Smith. :o The F's definitely require a non-spastic approach to starting, whereas a typical 2-stroke will usually boot over w/o drama. The less things to worry about for your first time in the dirt the better. After you've become more accomplished off road, you'll be more prepared for the next generation '03 Yamathumpers.

If you're willing to spend $4K on used, would you consider a leftover '01 YZ426F selling in the very low $5K range, new? The 426s are much easier to start than the 250Fs, but the power is extremely more snappy. You could get used to it, but stick to the more open areas at first.

A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill

I'll check on the local inventory and prices later this week.

A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill

schweeeT

Went to drop of the tires and saw that the dealer has a Wr426 I didnt know there was such a beast? The also had a YZ426 the Wr was priced at 6,300 & the YZ at 6,000...Because the Wr has a headlight and tail light if you were to add signals could you make it street legal??? I really like the Wr426. Chris have you heard anything about this? Easier to kick start?

R7 gave me a deal on his '01 WR426F. I subesquently traded/sold that for a used '01 WR250F, then traded that towards the '02 YZ250P I have now. The WR can be streetafied easier than the YZ only because it's already got a lighting coil. They both would need DOT legal lighting setups and a battery system installed. The WR also has a much taller top gear (WR = wide ratio tranny), an o-ring chain, side stand, larger (and a bit more cumbersome) fuel tank, larger radiators, and an 18" rear wheel. The 426 and 250 were both easy enough to start if you pay attention to the motor's requirements, a.k.a. "the drill", but the 250 could be much more finicky at times. The '02 250Fs have revised ignitions and jetting, reportedly to help improve starting.

Check www.thumpertalk.com for WR/YZF info.

Doug-

'01 YZ426F for $5299 @ Baer's.