Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112131424 ... LastLast

Thinking about dual sport/ ADV bike

Re: Thinking about dual sport/ ADV bike

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    Not the best looking thing out there but there is this

https://www.husqvarna-motorcycles.co...o-lr-2020.html

Another 701 variant would be something like this

https://www.701rally.com/

There is a video floating around out there someplace of a guy on a big KTM riding the River Loop at Hop-Ev Multi use trails in Dunbarton but my 5 min of searching couldn't find it
    EnduroSpec out in CO just posted this 701 build

Thinking about dual sport/ ADV bike-131293877_10113375494049601_6773285557561863824_o-jpg

there are some sweet Beta 500RR-S rally builds floating around as well. CycleWorld put the 2020 version in their Top 10 ... but we're talking $cake$ with both these bikes

Cycle World Ten Best Bikes 2020 - Our top picks of 2020 in ten categories

"The dual-sport spectrum is wide these days. Over there on the mellow side, you can get yourself a soft-suspension, air-cooled couch that will reliably soldier on through most terrain, if you’re into that sort of thing. And then waaaaaay over there on the other end is this red-and-white flamethrower of pure, explosive racebike—and, oh, here are some lights hung on it. Leave it to the Italians to deliver a bike like this Beta 500 RR-S with so much corsa and just casually throw some street gear at the bike to see if it will stick like so much spaghetti. It’s this Italian manufacturer’s first appearance on Cycle World’s Ten Best list, and it comes thanks to a major overhaul that included a new engine, a redesigned frame, and updated suspension."

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
    I find the tipping point between the 690/701 to the 790 sized bike very interesting and telling. The 690/701 will encourage you to ride stuff that will soon have you regretting your decision. While on the 790ADV-R I take one look at a trail section and say NOPE!!!

For real off road I'm choosing a small 2t. For hucking side by side hero trails I'll do it on my 790ADV-R. Everything in between is a lie. LOL
    Sounds like where I am at. Not looking to do real trails on the thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post

Thinking about dual sport/ ADV bike-131293877_10113375494049601_6773285557561863824_o-jpg

there are some sweet Beta 500RR-S rally builds floating around as well. CycleWorld put the 2020 version in their Top 10 ... but we're talking $cake$ with both these bikes

"The dual-sport spectrum is wide these days. Over there on the mellow side, you can get yourself a soft-suspension, air-cooled couch that will reliably soldier on through most terrain, if you’re into that sort of thing. And then waaaaaay over there on the other end is this red-and-white flamethrower of pure, explosive racebike—and, oh, here are some lights hung on it. Leave it to the Italians to deliver a bike like this Beta 500 RR-S with so much corsa and just casually throw some street gear at the bike to see if it will stick like so much spaghetti. It’s this Italian manufacturer’s first appearance on Cycle World’s Ten Best list, and it comes thanks to a major overhaul that included a new engine, a redesigned frame, and updated suspension."
    So hot....so expensive

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Jewcati View Post
    Sounds like where I am at. Not looking to do real trails on the thing.

Well then, why not consider a Ducati scrambler? Would fit your username. :-)
    It does trails quite well and is quite a bit of fun. I have one with a skid plate and upgraded forks. Fun, 400 lbs and does trails well

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

Quote Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
    Well then, why not consider a Ducati scrambler? Would fit your username. :-)
    It does trails quite well and is quite a bit of fun. I have one with a skid plate and upgraded forks. Fun, 400 lbs and does trails well
    The moto guzzi v85 is beautiful, but only 6 inches of travel and I would hate to drop it.

Lifer

The moto guzzi v85 is beautiful, but only 6 inches of travel and I would hate to drop it.

Yes, my friend has one. But, they are heavier than I initially thought. The original f800gs was nice at something like 456 lbs wet but has since put on weight (like all of us).

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

That balance of long street ride comfort vs on trail agility at opposing sides of a Quadrant Chart with overall cost including maintenance burden (which includes soft cost of worrying about dropping it or it blowing up) being the other axis. Aiming to the middle is the perfect bike for you.

For me the 790ADV-R is that bike. The next up is the Yamaha T7. I'd probably would have bought the T7 if it was available at the time due to its cost being more in step with a bike I don't want to worry about. I have done group rides with newbs on dirt roads with my 790 that turned into a day of extremely boring residential dirt roads of New England. I could have taken my Goldwing DCT on those roads and had more fun. Yet I never felt like I had to get off the 790 and stretch. I did ride some long balance point wheelies to entertain myself. That is why the 790 or soon 890 is such a great motorcycle. Super fun machine with a dynamic SuperMoto like quality if you enjoy such things.

Used bikes like a KLR or DRZ are legendary for their cheap post apocalyptic survivability. I'd steer toward the DRZ for more of an off road bias. I like to step off my machines when they chose to not obey my command. I hate to litter so the KLR is out. I've seen it shed layers at it gets treated like a fat guy in gym class. Surprisingly my 790's low tanks have taken the hit of a few step offs without any long term damage. Also much like a BMW's jugs help you lever the bike onto its wheels before becoming dead weight the 790 does much the same with the tank. It rolls up onto its wheels for an easy deadlift compared to slab sided bikes.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Send cash... I need a track day

Quote Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
    That balance of long street ride comfort vs on trail agility at opposing sides of a Quadrant Chart with overall cost including maintenance burden (which includes soft cost of worrying about dropping it or it blowing up) being the other axis. Aiming to the middle is the perfect bike for you.

For me the 790ADV-R is that bike. The next up is the Yamaha T7. I'd probably would have bought the T7 if it was available at the time due to its cost being more in step with a bike I don't want to worry about. I have done group rides with newbs on dirt roads with my 790 that turned into a day of extremely boring residential dirt roads of New England. I could have taken my Goldwing DCT on those roads and had more fun. Yet I never felt like I had to get off the 790 and stretch. I did ride some long balance point wheelies to entertain myself. That is why the 790 or soon 890 is such a great motorcycle. Super fun machine with a dynamic SuperMoto like quality if you enjoy such things.

Used bikes like a KLR or DRZ are legendary for their cheap post apocalyptic survivability. I'd steer toward the DRZ for more of an off road bias. I like to step off my machines when they chose to not obey my command. I hate to litter so the KLR is out. I've seen it shed layers at it gets treated like a fat guy in gym class. Surprisingly my 790's low tanks have taken the hit of a few step offs without any long term damage. Also much like a BMW's jugs help you lever the bike onto its wheels before becoming dead weight the 790 does much the same with the tank. It rolls up onto its wheels for an easy deadlift compared to slab sided bikes.
    I was thinking the same about the tanks. I think the 690 or the 790 are the key.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Great article, the T7 sounds really appealing with some suspension. That Husqvarna Norden looks amazing....Wonder if that will come in 2021.

Maybe I'll just trade the indian and get something like one of those that has decent street manners as well, and still have the TE150 for the tight trails.

Will still be fun on the road and if i have to ride a few hours to decent dirt at least it will be enjoyable

Lifer

"We spooned on a set of Shinko MX 216 knobby tires"

Curious if tire life is still similar to what most 250's see? Because I'd imagine it plummets on a bike that weighs nearly twice as much riding the stuff they've got in the photos. And they don't exactly last long on a 250.

edit:
    SERVICE INTERVALS: 24,000 miles (38,600km) 9,320 miles (15,000km)
    That's quite the delta. I know it comes with a trade-off that's probably at least partly related to the ~20hp difference. Still though.

I'm not terribly knowagable about the Austrian stuff, but I want to say there's a lot of fuss over one of the KTM damper offerings. I thought it was the XPLOR. Don't think KYB has really put out anything too novel in recent times, but seems to be the least talked about. I'd say no news is usually good news.

Last edited by aldend123; 12-16-20 at 06:24 PM.
    nedirtriders.com

No idea. For sure you gotta run em at way higher psi though.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    "We spooned on a set of Shinko MX 216 knobby tires"

Curious if tire life is still similar to what most 250's see? Because I'd imagine it plummets on a bike that weighs nearly twice as much riding the stuff they've got in the photos. And they don't exactly last long on a 250.
    Not a direct comparison, but I got 5k out knobbies on a Tiger. They were spent and the profile on the front was whack. They did the Cabot Trail towards the end of the ride.

The front was an IRC TR8 which I also ran on my WR. Wore like iron on that bike.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post

Gold wheels and that thing would be pimp.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Not a direct comparison, but I got 5k out knobbies on a Tiger. They were spent and the profile on the front was whack. They did the Cabot Trail towards the end of the ride.

The front was an IRC TR8 which I also ran on my WR. Wore like iron on that bike.
    Interesting, sounds like they might last longer. For comparison, 100hrs on a front tire for me is optimistic, and 50-60hr is probably closer to typical. Average day's speeds are 12-18mph. Call it 15mph average and that's 750-1500 miles on the high side. Granted maybe 5% of that is paved. And I think the 90/90 of the MX216 has bracing between the side knobs that the other sizes don't have to help combat tearing them off.

nedirtriders.com

You got 5000 miles on a set of knobbies on an adventure bike?

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

You got 5000 miles on a set of knobbies on an adventure bike?
    Yup. The whole trip was right around 5k and they were all I had. Most of the miles were "easy" riding except for shredding 389 and the Cabot Trail.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Yup. The whole trip was right around 5k and they were all I had. Most of the miles were "easy" riding except for shredding 389 and the Cabot Trail.
    Interesting.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Interesting.
    Just double checked. A hair under 5k. Mark did 4547 and I'm 180 miles from him.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

I see it’s a standard square knob pattern...but with a stiffer carcass/compound than a tkc?

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

What is the lowdown for less pricy used bikes to try some of these ADV rides and see if I would like it?

KLR? DR? Years to look for?

I see it’s a standard square knob pattern...but with a stiffer carcass/compound than a tkc?
    That was my understanding. The rear was an actual TKC 80.

Front pic is roughly halfway through the trip, rear pic is a few days later. Maybe another 7-800 miles on it then.

Thinking about dual sport/ ADV bike-14232483_10210602821617537_5715679175083311478_n-jpg
    Thinking about dual sport/ ADV bike-14211927_10210624132510296_7345256789368075318_n-jpg

2012 Tiger 800 XC

What is the lowdown for less pricy used bikes to try some of these ADV rides and see if I would like it?

KLR? DR? Years to look for?

I don’t fb marketplace, but I think that’s where people sell stuff these days.
    But advrider is full of well set up bikes, and enough information and innuendo to make your head spin.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

I don’t fb marketplace, but I think that’s where people sell stuff these days.
    But advrider is full of well set up bikes, and enough information and innuendo to make your head spin.
    Ugggghh....yeah my FB account got hacked and I can’t get back into it and FB support doesn’t respond. So I am using this as a sign to get off FB which has made me surprisingly happier. Downside is...no more FB marketplace.

You’re better off, I think. Humanity would be as a whole.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet