Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thinking about dual sport/ ADV bike

Lifer

Re: Thinking about dual sport/ ADV bike

Can you not surf FB marketplace without logging in. This may or may not have happened now and then with a corporate computer I am aquainted with

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

you don't need facebook to buy a new bike from the dealer

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Can you not surf FB marketplace without logging in. This may or may not have happened now and then with a corporate computer I am aquainted with
    I don’t think so, but regardless there would be no way to contact the other party unless they posted their info, which most don’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m sure if you found something you liked, and linked the ad, some intrepid nesrian might reach out on your behalf, :dunno

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewcati View Post
    What is the lowdown for less pricy used bikes to try some of these ADV rides and see if I would like it?

KLR? DR? Years to look for?
    DR650 has been the same from 1996 up until now. They had a couple little niggles that were fixed over the years but NBD.
    XR650L has been basically the same since 1993 until present, I think some minor fixes like the DR.
    KLR650 was the same from 1987 to 2007. In 2008 it got a facelift and some improvements, but bigger sportbike-like fairings, steered it a little more towards the street side of the spectrum.

Post up on ADV Rider in the flea market “WTB budget ADV bike in New England” and you should get a big response.

Lifer

Even if you can, I think you'll eventually need to contact the seller. Some put a phone number, but not all.

I agree that unfortunately a big portion of items that would have ended up on craigslist or a forum back in the day goes to FB marketplace. It's the worst. Although seems like it might be improving a little. There's also FB groups centered around specific hobbby's where a lot of stuff gets sold. And some of them aren't visible unless you join. But the KLR/DR is a weird one. I think you're less likely to find a strong pattern there.

nedirtriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
    DR650 has been the same from 1996 up until now. They had a couple little niggles that were fixed over the years but NBD.
    XR650L has been basically the same since 1993 until present, I think some minor fixes like the DR.
    KLR650 was the same from 1987 to 2007. In 2008 it got a facelift and some improvements, but bigger sportbike-like fairings, steered it a little more towards the street side of the spectrum.

Post up on ADV Rider in the flea market “WTB budget ADV bike in New England” and you should get a big response.
    Which of the 3 is the “best”?

Which of the 3 is the “best”?

Best for what is the question?
    If I were forced to buy one of the 3, personally, it would be the dr. It’s easily as well rounded as the other 2, without the total heft of the klr, and the sheer magnificent height of the xrl. The dr seems to be the sweetheart of the internet too, fwiw.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Lifer

I believe the currently accepted consensus is the XR is the best in the dirt. The KLR is the best on the street. And the DR is somewhere in the middle.
    Realize, again, this is a spectrum and we are talking about a narrow part of that spectrum. The XR is not a lightweight woods bike and the KLR is no goldwing.

I rode the (1st gen) KLR briefly on some mild double track and liked it way more than I expected to.

What is the lowdown for less pricy used bikes to try some of these ADV rides and see if I would like it?

KLR? DR? Years to look for?

If I were to do it over I’d replace my 09 KLR with a DR. More so because I intend to do more off road riding.

The KLR is OK but not great. I would lean towards a Gen 1 (sub 08 bikes) as they have longer travel, cheaper and 90% come tricked out by a guy in his mid 50’s dreaming to drive from Boston to Alaska only to have his ex wife suck the funds away and he has to sell.

If you buy a stock KLR and are heavier than 150# you’ll want to upgrade suspension, the seat is trash if you ride more than 50 miles, brakes are meh but for $150 you can mount a 320 rotor and a Sv caliper for some stoping. There is an absolute cult on these things from my brief period of ownership and anything that can go wrong on these has a fix for it.

But they are equivalent to plain oatmeal and a glass of warm water. Bland and not exciting

If that's the type of bike you can't go wrong with anyone of them really. It's like a Ford/Chevy thing. I've owned a DR650 and ridden a XR650 for a day ride. Happy on both, but it's clear the XR is the better trail option. It's a tall motherfucker for a short guy like me with a 30" inseam. I "may" have tipped it over at a gas station once.

I never had a problem with the seat height on the DR or the WR250, though I was also willing to hop off on them and let them hit the ground.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by Crconnor18 View Post
    But they are equivalent to plain oatmeal and a glass of warm water. Bland and not exciting
    Much like the sv is to track riding, there’s a certain charm in that.
    Each of them really has that same thing going for it; easily built to suit.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Much like the sv is to track riding, there’s a certain charm in that.
    Each of them really has that same thing going for it; easily built to suit.
    The KLR has cheap initial and reoccurring costs and I expect the other two models to be the same.

If you plan on seeing the world on a budget as a true adventure bike I’d recommend one of these. That’s the main reason I am keeping my KLR while I’m still single without kids. It’ll bring me across the country on an oil change and a set of 705’s basically.

Lifer

I happen to have SV calipers! Did not know that was an upgrade for that. Stunning that the SV brakes are considered an upgrade for anything!

Ironically the 40mm carb off the KLR was a low-buck upgrade for the DRZ400. I put one on mine.

I found the DR uninspiring. Nothing about the DR650 was exciting in my opinion. It wasn't exactly low and easy to handle either. The DR650 is one of those bikes that made my DRZ400 feel modern and advanced.

My personal observation is that the DR650 seems very popular with the older crowd that are getting "back into dirt" after decades of riding nothing but pavement. This crowd seems to be a no-replacement-for-displacement mindset and walks past the 250cc dual-sports they probably should be riding for the DR. Same people who buy R1200RTs or K1600s and complain about the weight. I don't get it. I think I'd rather have either the WR250R or the CRF250L over the DR650. At least they are EFI.

Like everything else, YMMV.

I happen to have SV calipers! Did not know that was an upgrade for that. Stunning that the SV brakes are considered an upgrade for anything!

Ironically the 40mm carb off the KLR was a low-buck upgrade for the DRZ400. I put one on mine.

I found the DR uninspiring. Nothing about the DR650 was exciting in my opinion. It wasn't exactly low and easy to handle either. The DR650 is one of those bikes that made my DRZ400 feel modern and advanced.

My personal observation is that the DR650 seems very popular with the older crowd that are getting "back into dirt" after decades of riding nothing but pavement. This crowd seems to be a no-replacement-for-displacement mindset and walks past the 250cc dual-sports they probably should be riding for the DR. Same people who buy R1200RTs or K1600s and complain about the weight. I don't get it. I think I'd rather have either the WR250R or the CRF250L over the DR650. At least they are EFI.

Like everything else, YMMV.
    I only rode a dr for a hot second or three some time ago...and I recall smashing the throttle in 3rd gear in the dirt. The thing threw rocks for a mile or so and I giggled like a giggler. That’s my only recollection, and it’s kinda of a fond one.
    Conversey, the klr I only took around town and out onto the highway real quick to see how it felt at 75. It’s was “adequate”. And I’ve seen plenty of them with foot peg mounts broken off from getting too sendy in the woods.
    I don’t know if I have a real point with these anecdotes.
    I stand by my earlier statement though, that if’n I had to buy one, today, this morning, it would be a dr.
    Ymmv and all that.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

How is the 690 on the highway?
    I'll answer from my 701 Enduro experience; basically a blue/white clone of the same bike. Plenty of power for the highway, but vibey as hell (even after pillow grips and bar risers with maybe-vibe-isolating bushings) and literally the worst possible wind situation. I full-tucked it for about an hour at a time, but would usually prefer to drop 20mph and deal with side roads. Road feel improved a ton once I put on SM wheels/tires, but the wind situation is the same.

Anytime I have more than 50 miles of highway ahead of me, I leave the single at home and take the twin.

[Edit: Read further down the thread. Mine is a 2017, before the apparent counterbalanced motor change. My previous CRF250L's all had counterbalancers and were *astonishingly* smooth. Still a tough wind scene but the new 300's from Kawi and Honda should be worth a look.]

Last edited by feralchimp; 12-17-20 at 10:58 AM.
    -Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by feralchimp View Post
    I'll answer from my 701 Enduro experience; basically a blue/white clone of the same bike.
    Out of curiosity, what year is your 701?

Quote Originally Posted by feralchimp View Post
    I'll answer from my 701 Enduro experience; basically a blue/white clone of the same bike. Plenty of power for the highway, but vibey as hell (even after pillow grips and bar risers with maybe-vibe-isolating bushings) and literally the worst possible wind situation. I full-tucked it for about an hour at a time, but would usually prefer to drop 20mph and deal with side roads. Road feel improved a ton once I put on SM wheels/tires, but the wind situation is the same.

Anytime I have more than 50 miles of highway ahead of me, I leave the single at home and take the twin.

[Edit: Read further down the thread. Mine is a 2017, before the apparent counterbalanced motor change. My previous CRF250L's all had counterbalancers and were *astonishingly* smooth. Still a tough wind scene but the new 300's from Kawi and Honda should be worth a look.]
    I guess the new engines have answered that issue, there are a lot of aftermarket wind protection solutions, but at that point and added weight might as well get a 790

Local dealership is willing to make me a pretty good deal on trading the indian for a 890 adventure r. Pretty compelling.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Do it. You won’t regret it.

Cool looking Beta 390 on Providence Craigslist. Original wheels and tires and a Warp 9 SuperMoto. Don't know much about about them but this one looks.

https://providence.craigslist.org/mc...241935173.html

2013 ZX6R-636

Local dealership is willing to make me a pretty good deal on trading the indian for a 890 adventure r. Pretty compelling.
    did ya get it yet?

Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    did ya get it yet?
    Not yet...gonna think on it for a bit.

If I do...definitely not taking it to hvd! I have trouble picking up the 150 that many times!

Not yet...gonna think on it for a bit.

If I do...definitely not taking it to hvd! I have trouble picking up the 150 that many times!
    but you could lead a ride with the Bagger Crew.

Beta 200RR

I'm picking up a T7 on Saturday...for Tony. It's going straight to GMD for upgrades.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D