Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thinking about dual sport/ ADV bike

Lifer

Re: Thinking about dual sport/ ADV bike

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    3 of us are planning on doing an overnighter on the Flatlander in the next few weeks, so this weekend we got out and did ~80 miles of it from Danbury to Dublin. It was a great opportunity to test out packing for an overnight trip on little bikes. It worked absolutely beautifully on the Rally, never had a single problem with anything coming loose, shifting or needing to adjust luggage. Surprisingly the huge ass on the CRF makes dealing with rackless adventure luggage so much easier. All I had to adjust on the bike was to increase compression and rebound (unfortunately I can't adjust preload because the shock body threads are stripped out).

The trails were actually in great shape north of Antrim. Once you get down to that area, they start getting very wet and extremely washed out. There are a few spots where a simple 1 foot rock wall obstacle has suddenly turned into a 2+ foot rock face needing to be scaled, and a typically no problem mud puddle has turned into a bike swallowing hole. My buddy got swamped in one up to his tail light on the WR in Antrim.

I also just realized that I had my camera on Macro mode the entire time I was taking pictures, so they are pretty atrocious.

I also figured out how I can bring my 11 month old daughter and get weight off the CRF.

I got this seat when my Son was 6 for riding with me and strapped it on my VFR
    https://www.amazon.com/GIVI-Scooter-.../dp/B007218SWC

Thinking about dual sport/ ADV bike-10696336_10152528856727404_5797654151953864428_n-jpg

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

Just did a nearly 800 mile weekend motocamping trip. A little over 400 miles of the NEBDR from the start in Hancock NY to the middle of Mass.

Only had 2 casualties; pulled the USB socket right out of my Packtalk Bold headset, and my Tusk tank bag zipper detached from the tank bag.

The bike was wonderful! Even on the infamous CR3 hill, the bike performed flawlessly both up (softball sized loose rocks on a moderately steep climb) and down (football size loose rocks on a stupid steep descent). No drops, thankfully.

Southeastern NY is really beautiful and makes for phenomenal riding. It has a different feel from the quintessential northeast riding. While most of the northeast (i.e. upstate NY, VT, NH, ME) is hills and mountains with gradual inclines\declines, and a much more pragmatic approach to road building and layout, northeastern NY brings to mind the southern US, with very abrupt changes in elevation, extremely curvy and rollercoaster-like paved roads, and a surprising lack of "nanny-like" speed limits the further out you get.

7 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

And this morning marks a special occasion for me. I love this bike.

7 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Damn! I NEED your job!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Hoping to pick up a WR250R to tackle the NEBDR this coming year with a buddy.

Last few rides of the season. The KTM is now in the process of being torn down for maintenance.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Got dual sports on the brain again.

KTM is all buttoned up with a bunch of maintenance completed:
    Valve adjustment
    New fork seals + oil
    Completely new shock (damper, preload motor and 185N spring)
    New wheel bearings all around (sprocket carrier bearings were frozen!)
    Clutch jet cleaned (clogged with debris)
    Replaced fuel filters + left fuel tap + new quick disconnect
    New light bar + rewire with mini relay
    RDL seat!

Now I'm digging into the CRF. Just finished adding my old light bar + wiring, in the middle of a valve adjustment (surprisingly exhausts valves are out by 0.1mm at 13k-ish miles), and waiting to get the repaired Ohlins shock back so I can get my sag set correctly.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by SRTie4k; 02-14-22 at 01:51 PM.
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Can't wait to finally get my WR250R home and do some 'splorin.

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    Seeing quite a bit of sludge accumulated on the camshaft? Pretty sure that motor would run fine with a pound of peastone in the crank case but maybe have a look at the crankcase breather?

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Lifer

How does the 250 Rally do on the Interstate at say 65? Spec wise that bike has grown on me a lot.

I am *really* itching to get back into an ADV machine. If they were available, I think I'd be dumb enough to borrow some money towards a T7 or 890-ADV right now.

Although I really should unload my WR450F first.

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    Seeing quite a bit of sludge accumulated on the camshaft? Pretty sure that motor would run fine with a pound of peastone in the crank case but maybe have a look at the crankcase breather?
    That's just the camshafts. They're pretty rough where they aren't ground.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    How does the 250 Rally do on the Interstate at say 65? Spec wise that bike has grown on me a lot.

I am *really* itching to get back into an ADV machine. If they were available, I think I'd be dumb enough to borrow some money towards a T7 or 890-ADV right now.

Although I really should unload my WR450F first.
    With a lighter rider and stock gearing it can do 65-70, but doesn't do hills very well. As I understand the CRF300L does much better on the interstate (I've seen videos where they hit 80+).

Once you go ADV or dual sport, you'll never want to go back to purely street riding again. It's addicting. The biggest problem is finding the time to go out for a 500 mile ride to the middle of nowhere, or if you live in the city getting out to go find those roads. I'm lucky enough to live where I can build an 80 mile loop around my house of class 6, dirt roads and some pavement, so having a little dual sport and an ADV bike is the perfect combo. I think a T7 or an 890 would bridge that gap pretty well though.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by SRTie4k; 02-15-22 at 12:12 PM.
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Lifer

Wild. I've ridden with a CRF250L at those speeds. He wasn't comfortable though. I was on a DRZ at the time so I wasn't comfortable either.

I was asking about wind protection; how is that fairing/screen. Is the rally worth it over the base 250L?

I'd already spaced and forgotten the 250 was old news and the 300 was out now. A relief as cycletrader shows practically no 250's for sale. (As they are all pushing 300's now.)

Wild. I've ridden with a CRF250L at those speeds. He wasn't comfortable though. I was on a DRZ at the time so I wasn't comfortable either.

I was asking about wind protection; how is that fairing/screen. Is the rally worth it over the base 250L?

I'd already spaced and forgotten the 250 was old news and the 300 was out now. A relief as cycletrader shows practically no 250's for sale. (As they are all pushing 300's now.)
    Flat out it's not that bad. It's not a tourer, but it's better than my buddy's WR. If I was on the interstate...well I wouldn't be. It's not really meant for high speeds and gets out of sorts with enough wind/turbulence.

I personally think the 250L Rally makes a fantastic case for an ADV-lite bike.. Upgrades over the base L include windscreen, 2.7 gal tank, GPS crossbar, 10A switched aux power plug up front, LED headlight, bigger brakes and skid plate (it's pretty beefy for general ADV use). If the 250L Rally is a fantastic ADV-lite, I think the 300L Rally is the ultimate ADV-lite with all of the aforementioned goodies and a 3.4 gal tank (~250 mile range!), -9lb curb weight, +10MPH top speed and more power. It's the bike I'd want to take across the country on the TAT.

It's not all sunshine and rainbows, of course. The suspension sucks (Ohlins completely transformed it, though), it needs a better than OEM seat (Seat Concepts ftw), and overall it's a bit cheap and needs a few other goodies to make it great, like new bars and handguards, a better chain and open front chain guard. But it's plenty powerful enough for dual sport use, fun, low maintenance, easy/cheap to maintain and quite inexpensive overall.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

I recently test rode a buddies CRF300L Rally for a short 5 mile ride. He bought one on a whim when visiting a honda dealer that had one roll out to the sales floor while he was there. It had no deposit on it so he bought it right there. The motor is a huge improvement over a 250 I previously rode a couple years before. It will lift the front wheel with ease compared to the 250. I think they gave it a bit more flywheel weight to help with low end torque. I got it up to 65mph with ease and it was really surprising how much I liked the bike. I confess that I love the Rally styling and could see myself owning one of these when I get tired of the maintenance of a fire breathing KTM.

As a performance driven rider I could see myself buying one of these some day and pouring a bunch of money into it with suspension, tune and beefing up things like handlebars w/steering damper, pegs etc... I was really impressed with it. But then again I also imagine myself building a 500/501 Rally Replica some day. Oh the lack of sense I have around good looking motorcycles.

Send cash... I need a track day

Bubba should grab this
    https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/2...in-ma.1531442/

I’ve got two friends with this bike that love it, rode the MABDR last year with them
    Thinking about dual sport/ ADV bike-0c7d03e9-66c1-4977-a62e-f9ce0db1bfbd

Quote Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
    Bubba should grab this

I’ve got two friends with this bike that love it, rode the MABDR last year with them
    You sure that's the MABDR and not Australia?

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Lifer

I’m kicking myself, I could’ve sworn back in April or May of 2020, the heart of the quarantine, naults had new crf250s for 4 grand.

Your park avenue leads to..

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
    Bubba should grab this

Nice find. Keep those coming my way!
    Not quite ready to move yet, sadly. Also looks like JC may be on it.

I wish we all lived close to each other and could trade wives or girlfriends bikes for a day so we could each fully experience what the bikes are like on the freeway and off road

690 enduro bubba - it can smash on a freeway and far more comfortably than the 400.

I am a little confused how that 300L does…I’ve seen people do 2-300 mile dual sport rides; including freeway. Same with RTWPaul on a 500exc. Sometimes I wonder if a small bike on the freeway and a big bike off road are bikes that “you can do it, but do you want to?”

Last edited by breakdirt916; 03-03-22 at 10:50 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    I wish we all lived close to each other and could trade wives or girlfriends bikes for a day so we could each fully experience what the bikes are like on the freeway and off road
    The rest of us do

Spring 2022 NESR western Mass ADV swap-n-ride day?
    I can contribute a 790cc DR650 with Cogent suspension

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    I am a little confused how that 300L does…I’ve seen people do 2-300 mile dual sport rides; including freeway. Same with RTWPaul on a 500exc. Sometimes I wonder if a small bike on the freeway and a big bike off road are bikes that “you can do it, but do you want to?”
    This has been beaten to death in the DS/ADV community. The simple fact is that there is no unicorn. When I get to the trailhead on my 1290, I wish I was on my CRF. But then when I get back to the road on the CRF, I wish I was on my 1290.

Yes there are bikes that bridge that divide better, like the 500 EXC-F or the 690/701, but if you're like me who uses a bike for everything from tight technical trail work to slabbing 600 miles on the interstate down to NC, no one bike will do everything fantastically. Which is why I own 2 bikes; a big displacement ADV bike, and a little dual sport.

Really if I had to do it again I'd either swing for a 1290R or an 890R, and replace the CRF with a 500 EXC-F. That seems like the "dream team" ADV/DS combo to me. But I wouldn't try to do it all with one bike.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Lifer

790/890 is supposed to be the unicorn, or as close as mankind has gotten so far. Sadly I have no direct experience yet.

I still find myself oscillating on trusting a big KTM twin. My 200 has been a pleasure to own, but then it has an AC electrical system with maybe 5-6 wires on the whole bike.

I am pretty sure I do not want another thumper.

Lifer

Maybe the dual sported KTM390 will be the unicorn. I’m curious to see how the 300 rally is. The stage 1 mods in my 250l transformed it in terms of power. 20% more power would be ideal

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

This was posted in one of the local FB groups. In the comments he says he’s thinking mid/low 5’s for a price.
    Thinking about dual sport/ ADV bike-29133e08-06f4-4b3b-bd24-9433520bf3bd

I've still seen a few of them going for mid $4k mostly stock. If I was interested in that one I'd probably just offer $5k flat.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R