Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thinking about dual sport/ ADV bike

Hypertarded

Re: Thinking about dual sport/ ADV bike

Quote Originally Posted by Crconnor18 View Post
    https://www.advpulse.com/adv-news/kt...enture-coming/

Just something to keep your hopes up for when the world is a better place

490 SMC R......
    Hopefully enough lighter & cheaper than the 690 SMC R to make it a viable alternative

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Did the Dalton to Deadhorse on a KLR 650.
    Did the TransLab on a Multistrada.

Bikes were fine in both cases.

Neither of these roads are near Framingham.

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Happy New Year....T7 for your viewing pleasure...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh5p...ature=emb_logo

let her eat.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Lifer

There are now rumours of a T3 hear in Europe and Asia. That should be interesting. The mt03 is very popular here already. Im surprised they havent done it already to be honest. With Europe starting to kill off the bigger bikes they really need to provide a smaller option.

Lifer

These parallel twins sound pretty badass

Friction spikes are a glorious thing. The T7 sounds good stock. That one is clearly...not stock!

Paul_E_D

Honda just announced the CRF300L/Rally is coming to the US. They are supposed to be in dealers in March. Less weight, more power, more farkles.

https://www.motorcycle.com/mini-feat...ed-for-us.html

I'm very tempted to put a deposit down on a Rally. Seems like you couldn't ask for a better mini/lightweight ADV and TAT bike.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    Honda just announced the CRF300L/Rally is coming to the US. They are supposed to be in dealers in March. Less weight, more power, more farkles.

https://www.motorcycle.com/mini-feat...ed-for-us.html

I'm very tempted to put a deposit down on a Rally. Seems like you couldn't ask for a better mini/lightweight ADV and TAT bike.
    We could "ask" for a slightly bigger engine than the 286cc. I guess they don't want to compete with the 500cc engine they have in their stable, but the CBR300R is way down in power compared to the Ninja 400. They were closer when it was a Ninja 300. But if they took the same 286cc engine and stroked it out to 350cc I think that would be the sweet spot. As in the old DR350SE. But, agree it is a step in the right direction and provide that little bit of extra oomph. What I don't understand is why the CRF300L is different than the one in Thailand. The Thai version has the LED headlight and blinkers and looks to have lost more weight. It looks more like the CRF450L

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

Quote Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
    We could "ask" for a slightly bigger engine than the 286cc. I guess they don't want to compete with the 500cc engine they have in their stable, but the CBR300R is way down in power compared to the Ninja 400. They were closer when it was a Ninja 300. But if they took the same 286cc engine and stroked it out to 350cc I think that would be the sweet spot. As in the old DR350SE. But, agree it is a step in the right direction and provide that little bit of extra oomph. What I don't understand is why the CRF300L is different than the one in Thailand. The Thai version has the LED headlight and blinkers and looks to have lost more weight. It looks more like the CRF450L
    If Honda came out with a 450L Rally with oil change intervals in the thousands of miles rather than 600 miles (which would probably only require a bigger sump), I'd change my tune. But it seems like nobody wants to make a 450 dual sport with reasonable maintenance intervals these days. Which is odd seeing that dual sport and adventure riding is the biggest growing market segment in the US motorcycling industry (and a lot of the rest of the world) today.

Last edited by SRTie4k; 01-06-21 at 08:59 AM.
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

The 300 rally looks pretty compelling. I'd ride that to Chile.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

One thing I have learned about ADV riding is that power and lightness equals exhaustion and discomfort on long days of rough terrain. At the end of a 700 mile week in Guatemala we all agreed that we wanted no part of the MX based bikes for anything other than some short recreational breaks. The heavier, slower, shorter softer latin american market dual sports where what everyone would have chosen if were were to ride another week like that. The 300 Rally is just a slightly upmarket version of those things. May really be a perfect around the world machine.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    If Honda came out with a 450L Rally with oil change intervals in the thousands of miles rather than 600 miles (which would probably only require a bigger sump), I'd change my tune. But it seems like nobody wants to make a 450 dual sport with reasonable maintenance intervals these days.
    I don't think that is true. My guess (and to be clear it is a guess) is that it would take a lot more to convert a "MX" tuned 450 to put-away-wet dual-sport durability. I'm guessing everything from bore and stroke to cooling to oil capacity would all need to be changed. Likely a lot of R&D.

It seems clear with the 450L that Honda just took the 450R/X and put lights on it. Did they even give it its own cam or anything?!

I have a WR450F with a light-kit as my "dual sport" right now and let me tell you it is obnoxious. The bike hates maintaining any speed or direction. It wants to be accelerating or decelerating and changing direction at all times. Probably my age showing here but it is no fun on public roads. (At least while anyone is looking.) All that makes it a straight up hoot in the woods though.

I've always assumed the 450L is kinda like that.

..the mission was to increase power, reduce weight and improve off-road performance..
    Bravo.

I agree with above, the 300 Rally looks nice.

This is totally on brand to compete with the klx300.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I’d be curious to see the OTD price on the Rally. How would they compete with the 390 adventure?

Lifer

I’d be curious to see the OTD price on the Rally. How would they compete with the 390 adventure?
    Pretty close to the 390ADV in many ways, but power way down. That being said, I am not 100% that they will be cross shopped. People who purchase the CRF250L/Rally don't generally cross shop the KTM's and not just because of price. I trust Honda's reliability and workmanship (Thai vs Indian) over the smaller KTM. I think the Honda is simpler in many ways. It's my own bias, but suspect others may share it as well.

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

The CRF/CBR 300 is already stroked, I don't think the design can be safely taken to 350cc without radically compromising reliability/longevity.

It doesn't need power for it's intended use. An around the world bike should be more of a tank than a missile. If you want it to straddle the performance dirtbike world, move along.

Paul_E_D

Lifer

There is wanting performance and then there is wanting at least some performance. When I rode the CBR250L I was underwhelmed. Somehow both heavier and less powerful than my DRZ400. And the DRZ isn't exactly a benchmark of all out performance.

Honda heads will tell me that's because the Honda is over-built and under stressed. Much more durable.
    My counter to that is that the DRZ is one of the poster children for bulletproof motorcycling.

Honda seems really good at adding mass to their motorcycles relative to everyone else.

The 390 Adventure is more of a street bike with dual sport intentions. It's got 19/17 cast wheels, 7 inches of suspension travel (which is probably arguably better than the 10' pogo sticks on the CRF), 8 inches of ground clearance (compared to the CRF's 10+). I'm not so sure that it really competes in the dual sport segment, especially for those of us who already have adventure bikes.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    There is wanting performance and then there is wanting at least some performance. When I rode the CBR250L I was underwhelmed. Somehow both heavier and less powerful than my DRZ400. And the DRZ isn't exactly a benchmark of all out performance.

Honda heads will tell me that's because the Honda is over-built and under stressed. Much more durable.
    My counter to that is that the DRZ is one of the poster children for bulletproof motorcycling.

Honda seems really good at adding mass to their motorcycles relative to everyone else.
    The Honda has since lost some weight and gained some power. I have a 2014 with stage 1 mods which easily added power for not much money (https://dirtbikemagazine.com/dual-sp...-hot-rod-mods/). It can cruise comfortably at 70mph and top out at 85mph. For it's purpose, it's good. The CRF300L should be better. As for weight, you are right about Honda. But, I can tell you that they also know how to hide it. My 2007 VFR800 is a massive pig on the scale. But when ridden, it really sheds it's weight and handles close to a sports bike.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    It seems clear with the 450L that Honda just took the 450R/X and put lights on it. Did they even give it its own cam or anything?!
    The 450R and 450Rx are essentially the same bike; high compression MX motor with close ratio transmission. The Rx is the GNCC variant, 18” rear wheel, woodsier suspension tuning. Think KTM XC line.

The 450X and 450L are essentially the same thing; lower compression thumper with wide ratio transmission. The L has all the street and emissions kit, that’s about the only difference.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Lifer

I guess I was saying I didn't think the difference between the 450R/RX and the 450X/L is that significant. Kind of like my WR450F; too close to a MX motor for street use.

It’s significant unless viewed through the ADV prism.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 Not allowed! Not allowed!