Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast
Results 301 to 325 of 327

Thinking about dual sport/ ADV bike

  1. #301
    Posting Freak Jewcati's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    901

    Re: Thinking about dual sport/ ADV bike


    Well....took the 890 out for about 100 miles today....all street. About 10 miles into the ride my rear brake locked up and I didn't notice and rode on it for about 5-10 miles. Rotor is now discolored by the carrier and i think the pads are probably toast (lot of grinding), going to call the dealer tomorrow, not sure if it is the same issue that happened on the 790, but i would think they would have fixed it considering there is an open recall. I pulled over and pulled the plunger out of the master and the caliper released, but I believe the damage was already done.

    Also the clutch lever gave out twice out because the cable lock nuts came loose, and now i cant adjust it enough to get a good friction zone.

    Fun bike, but these mechanical gremlins have me a bit concerned

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  2. #302
    Posting Freak Jewcati's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    901

    Re: Thinking about dual sport/ ADV bike

    Oh yeah...my fuse blew on my heated gear at around the same time so I felt it stop working and smelled something burning and pulled over to find that the rear had locked up...that kinda day....but oddly enough...still had fun.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  3. #303

    Re: Thinking about dual sport/ ADV bike

    yup...R7 described them like that...the euro bikes generally have quirks and issues

    not engineered like an under stressed/long service interval Japanese bike

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: ** 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 500R **
    instagram @veshlife

  4. #304
    Lifer
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,048

    Re: Thinking about dual sport/ ADV bike

    Is the 890 also assembled in India?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Street Triple R, Ducati Scrambler Icon, Monster 1100evo, VFR, CRF250L/M, CRF230L

  5. #305
    Posting Freak Jewcati's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    901

    Re: Thinking about dual sport/ ADV bike

    Quote Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
    Is the 890 also assembled in India?
    I donít think so


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  6. #306

    Re: Thinking about dual sport/ ADV bike

    I think the 390 is the india bike

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: ** 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 500R **
    instagram @veshlife

  7. #307
    Senior Member ducatirdr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Sutton
    Age
    58
    Posts
    366

    Re: Thinking about dual sport/ ADV bike

    I'm curious how you are powering your heated gear. I use my trickle charger cord with its inline fuse. I use an adapter cord to the Battery Tender plug. Works great! Also SWITCH OUT BATTERY BOLTS to locking washer MXer style bolts. I had my battery bolts loosen a couple times and finally went with the locking style washer/bolt

    I once had my Ducati 996S rear brake heat up to the point the pads burst into flames when I pulled over. The cherry red disk and flames had me freaking out. I looked around and there about 25 feet away on the curb was a tossed 1/2 full bottle of water. I grabbed and ran to the bike and dosed the rear brake and the flames subsided, cooled and ended the drama. A true WTF moment.

    The good news is that this type of stuff that happens right away on a brand new bike is probably due to a bad part (rear caliper) from a supplier. (not an issue with assembly) Warranty work will cover it and hopefully get the bike to the point it's just normal maintenance.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by ducatirdr; 01-11-21 at 09:29 AM.
    Send cash... I need a track day

  8. #308
    Backwoods lobster boy number9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hanover, NH
    Posts
    4,386

    Re: Thinking about dual sport/ ADV bike

    Quote Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
    I'm curious how you are powering your heated gear. I use my trickle charger cord with its inline fuse. I use an adapter cord to the Battery Tender plug. Works great! Also SWITCH OUT BATTERY BOLTS to locking washer MXer style bolts. I had my battery bolts loosen a couple times and finally went with the locking style washer/bolt
    Can you post a picture of these? Thanks!

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

  9. #309
    Senior Member ducatirdr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Sutton
    Age
    58
    Posts
    366

    Re: Thinking about dual sport/ ADV bike

    Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    Can you post a picture of these? Thanks!
    These have a lock nut washer in them. Probably could go to hardware store and just get that washer...

    Thinking about dual sport/ ADV bike-screen-shot-2021-01-11-a
    https://www.amazon.com/Scooter-Batte...99823812&psc=1

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by ducatirdr; 01-11-21 at 10:01 AM.
    Send cash... I need a track day

  10. #310
    Soul Rider Paul_E_D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    western, MA
    Age
    50
    Posts
    14,567

    Re: Thinking about dual sport/ ADV bike

    That was quite the first ride...

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D


  11. #311
    Backwoods lobster boy number9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hanover, NH
    Posts
    4,386

    Re: Thinking about dual sport/ ADV bike

    Quote Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
    These have a lock nut washer in them. Probably could go to hardware store and just get that washer...

    Thinking about dual sport/ ADV bike-screen-shot-2021-01-11-a
    https://www.amazon.com/Scooter-Batte...99823812&psc=1
    That's what mine look like right now. Thanks!

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by number9; 01-11-21 at 12:02 PM.
    '02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

  12. #312
    Awesomeness, Inc. MattR302's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Haven-ish, CT
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,065

    Re: Thinking about dual sport/ ADV bike

    Quote Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
    I looked around and there about 25 feet away on the curb was a tossed 1/2 full bottle of water. I grabbed and ran to the bike and dosed the rear brake
    Hah, you totally dumped pee on your bike!

    4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Matt

  13. #313
    BMW track whore e30addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    I93/495
    Age
    44
    Posts
    7,063

    Re: Thinking about dual sport/ ADV bike

    Quote Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post

    I once had my Ducati 996S rear brake heat up to the point the pads burst into flames when I pulled over. The cherry red disk and flames had me freaking out. I looked around and there about 25 feet away on the curb was a tossed 1/2 full bottle of water. I grabbed and ran to the bike and dosed the rear brake and the flames subsided, cooled and ended the drama. A true WTF moment.
    Water on a brake fire

    Lucky there wasn't more drama!

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

  14. #314
    Super Adventurer SRTie4k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dublin, NH
    Age
    36
    Posts
    4,989

    Re: Thinking about dual sport/ ADV bike

    Hopefully KTM doesn't tell you what they have told various 1290 Super Adventure owners; that the owner caused the brake overheating by accidentally resting their foot on the rear brake pedal.

    KTM's are ridiculously fun. Unfortunately KTM dealers are by and large utter garbage.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2017 Honda CRF250L Rally

  15. #315
    Posting Freak jimmycapp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NW CT
    Posts
    985

    Re: Thinking about dual sport/ ADV bike

    Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    KTM's are ridiculously fun. Unfortunately KTM dealers are by and large utter garbage.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  16. #316
    Posting Freak Jewcati's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    901

    Re: Thinking about dual sport/ ADV bike

    Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    Hopefully KTM doesn't tell you what they have told various 1290 Super Adventure owners; that the owner caused the brake overheating by accidentally resting their foot on the rear brake pedal.

    KTM's are ridiculously fun. Unfortunately KTM dealers are by and large utter garbage.
    That is absurd. The dealer came and picked up the bike today. Hopefully this gets resolved quickly


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  17. #317
    Lifer
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,048

    Re: Thinking about dual sport/ ADV bike

    Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    I think the 390 is the india bike
    I heard all of the ones with the exception of the large one (1290) have moved assembly to India, but that was from a friend. It should say on the bike where it was assembled. My Ducati Scrambler was assembled in Thailand as was my CRF250L

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Street Triple R, Ducati Scrambler Icon, Monster 1100evo, VFR, CRF250L/M, CRF230L

  18. #318
    Super Adventurer SRTie4k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dublin, NH
    Age
    36
    Posts
    4,989

    Re: Thinking about dual sport/ ADV bike

    Quote Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
    I heard all of the ones with the exception of the large one (1290) have moved assembly to India, but that was from a friend. It should say on the bike where it was assembled. My Ducati Scrambler was assembled in Thailand as was my CRF250L
    The 790/890's were originally slated to have production moved to China (CFMoto) in 2020, but that has since been pushed out. The only bikes that are built in India are the 390's from what I understand.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2017 Honda CRF250L Rally

  19. #319
    Soul Rider Paul_E_D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    western, MA
    Age
    50
    Posts
    14,567

    Re: Thinking about dual sport/ ADV bike

    Are the 790s getting nixed? Have they already been? That could pose an issue for the lightweight guys racing these against SVs.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D


  20. #320
    Super Adventurer SRTie4k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dublin, NH
    Age
    36
    Posts
    4,989

    Re: Thinking about dual sport/ ADV bike

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Are the 790s getting nixed? Have they already been? That could pose an issue for the lightweight guys racing these against SVs.
    Yeah I believe the 890 is a direct replacement for the 790 in both the Adventure and Duke models. The last year of the 790 is 2020.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2017 Honda CRF250L Rally

  21. #321
    Soul Rider Paul_E_D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    western, MA
    Age
    50
    Posts
    14,567

    Re: Thinking about dual sport/ ADV bike

    So just a 2 year run for the 790? bikes and parts could run out fast. Or guys will start de-stroking 890s.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D


  22. #322
    Lifer
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,048

    Re: Thinking about dual sport/ ADV bike

    Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    The 790/890's were originally slated to have production moved to China (CFMoto) in 2020, but that has since been pushed out. The only bikes that are built in India are the 390's from what I understand.
    Jewcati can just check the label on the bike - it should say where it was assembled. I am curious more than anything. I have two VW's, one assembled in Germany and one in Mexico. I cannot tell the difference.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Street Triple R, Ducati Scrambler Icon, Monster 1100evo, VFR, CRF250L/M, CRF230L

  23. #323
    ^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Haverhill, MA
    Age
    50
    Posts
    3,346

    Re: Thinking about dual sport/ ADV bike

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    So just a 2 year run for the 790? bikes and parts could run out fast. Or guys will start de-stroking 890s.
    Apparently dealers are making some decent deals on 790s due to the change over to the 890. Maybe Noel would have some comment.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  24. #324
    Posting Freak Jewcati's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    901

    Re: Thinking about dual sport/ ADV bike

    Well happy to say I just hear from the dealer. Free play was not adjusted properly from the factory and Ktm is covering a new rotor and pads.

    Happy with that outcome.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  25. #325
    Lifer Gixxer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Sandown, NH
    Posts
    1,278

    Re: Thinking about dual sport/ ADV bike

    I wonder how close, or how many worlds apart the 790 Duke is compared to the older BMW F800s.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Your park avenue leads to..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •