Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 313141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thinking about dual sport/ ADV bike

Lifer

Re: Thinking about dual sport/ ADV bike

I bought a couple very nice tank bags (one medium, one large) for a steal from a company that was going out of business a while ago. I have fingers crossed that one of those works well with the 890. But we may be in the market for one of those too. I like the look of one of the Giant Loop bags on the 890. Hoping I don't need to go there.
    I had a cheap tank bag that I literally never took off my V-Strom. Will probably be rocking one full-time on the 890 too.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    What's the latest in soft ADV luggage?

I am hooked on the idea of soft bags for trips. First introduced by markbvt who had a set of wolfmans hung off his tiger. LOVE the look and concept of the Mosko reckless 80L system. Not a fan of the price. Tusk makes a ripoff called the Highland. Catch is the capacity for those systems is only ~50L. Is that enough?
    I have the Highland. It's a pretty good alternative to the R80. Yes it is 50L total (25L per side bag), but that is not inclusive of a top bag like the R80 is, so they are the same capacity if you add a ~20-25L top bag. You can also add aux bags like you can on the R80. They also recently released the Highland X2 with the pivoting leg system, again much like the R80 v3.0, so it'll work on a larger variety of bikes. That said, I believe the Highlands was originally developed with the 890R in mind, so it should fit that bike perfectly as-is.

The major difference between the two systems is the R80 has roll-top waterproof bags that sit in a holster, while the Highland has the bag attached to the base which you need a dry bag inside to be fully waterproof.

The R80 is obviously much higher quality with an astronomical price, but the Highland is not exactly low quality, still rugged just not as much attention to detail. For half the cost the Highland is easily worth it IMO, it really just comes down to whether you want premium for a premium price.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by SRTie4k; 03-17-22 at 09:56 AM.
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

What's the latest in soft ADV luggage?

What am I missing?
    What are y'all running nowadays?
    Running GIVI Canyon GRT709 35L panniers on my bike. Half the price of Moscow, maybe not as premium but offer excellent build quality for the money. They mount via monokey/other Givi mounting systems with a rigid plastic back plate that locks to the rack. Highly recommended.

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

So how about rack'ed soft luggage? Methinks having a rack exoskeleton may be worth it anyways as I have a tendency to tip over.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    I have the Highland. It's a pretty good alternative to the R80. Yes it is 50L total (25L per side bag), but that is not inclusive of a top bag like the R80 is, so they are the same capacity if you add a ~20-25L top bag. You can also add aux bags like you can on the R80. They also recently released the Highland X2 with the pivoting leg system, again much like the R80 v3.0, so it'll work on a larger variety of bikes. That said, I believe the Highlands was originally developed with the 890R in mind, so it should fit that bike perfectly as-is.
    Really thinking of taking a chance with the Highland kit. I really like the minimalist rack-less setup. Also love the versatile beavertail thing.
    I figured I would buy without the top bag and reuse my D38 bag.

Are you camping out of this setup? Any complaints with the size? Are you running this on the CRF250 or the 1290-ADV?

Really thinking of taking a chance with the Highland kit. I really like the minimalist rack-less setup. Also love the versatile beavertail thing.
    I figured I would buy without the top bag and reuse my D38 bag.

Are you camping out of this setup? Any complaints with the size? Are you running this on the CRF250 or the 1290-ADV?
    I've run it on both. It's quite big for the CRF but does work with a Rotopax underneath it (needs to be lifted for the leg straps to work on this bike). It's perfect for the 1290 on the passenger seat.

I've run a one-night camping trip on the NEBDR so far, and it was great. I used the beavertail to pack a few bags on top - a pole bag, water bladder and a cooler - then strapped a 10L roll top with the tent on the rack (the rack is still accessible with the Highland on the passenger seat). It was more than enough capacity for 2-4 nights of camping. I'm a bit of a pack rat when it comes to motocamping, so I end up bringing everything and the kitchen sink, and the bags were packed to the gills (layers, rain gear, change of clothes, shower shoes + hygiene bag, jetboil flash + coffee + mug, snack bag, tools, first aid kit, water bottle, more I'm not remembering). If I wanted to go longer I could have reorganized a little and put a 40L bag under the beaver tail. It's modular enough that you can pretty easily pack for a week+ worth of camping.

I know you're a bit far away but you're welcome to come see the setup in person if you are on the fence.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by SRTie4k; 03-17-22 at 10:57 AM.
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Lifer

I've run it on both. It's quite big for the CRF but does work with a Rotopax underneath it (needs to be lifted for the leg straps to work on this bike). It's perfect for the 1290 on the passenger seat.

I've run a one-night camping trip on the NEBDR so far, and it was great. I used the beavertail to pack a few bags on top - a pole bag, water bladder and a cooler - then strapped a 10L roll top with the tent on the rack (the rack is still accessible with the Highland on the passenger seat). It was more than enough capacity for 2-4 nights of camping. I'm a bit of a pack rat when it comes to motocamping, so I end up bringing everything and the kitchen sink, and the bags were packed to the gills (layers, rain gear, change of clothes, shower shoes + hygiene bag, jetboil flash + coffee + mug, snack bag, tools, first aid kit, water bottle, more I'm not remembering). If I wanted to go longer I could have reorganized a little and put a 40L bag under the beaver tail. It's modular enough that you can pretty easily pack for a week+ worth of camping.

I know you're a bit far away but you're welcome to come see the setup in person if you are on the fence.

I’m honestly a little perplexed as to how most people get on some of these adventure bikes.

With side cases and a top case, on top of a high seat height…

How do you get on?

Step on a peg and swing a leg over/step over?

Can a peg hold all the weight of a person, repeatedly?

Your park avenue leads to..

Step on peg and swing is the only convenient way to get on, at 6’2” with boots on.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Yes, left foot on left peg and step over. I get on pretty much all bikes this way because it’s easier.
    Each peg and mount is built to be able to hold 1/2 of your bodyweight when standing, plus whatever g-forces when going over bumps and stuff. If anything I’m more worried about the kickstand and it’s mount.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Holding the weight of a person repeatedly is literally what a foot peg is designed to do.
    If a foot peg breaks from me climbing on, I want my money back!

Holding the weight of a person repeatedly is literally what a foot peg is designed to do.
    If a foot peg breaks from me climbing on, I want my money back!
    It's the kickstand that's the concern. Like my KTM DB, i would bend the kick stand in half if I mounted that way. 1290 is solid.

Lifer

I have the same problem with the kickstand on my 200 XC. I have NEVER had a problem on a street bike.

This guy is a little weird. But I liked this tidbit and now try to climb on my Harley as he demonstrates. It is a hell of a lot easier at the end of a long day when you are worn out and your legs feel like they weigh 48283 lbs.

Lifer

So.. Luggage stuff. This is out of control. Someone explain to me why this adapter plate is worth $425?! What the actual fuck?! It isn't even both halves of the system. People pay for this?!

Looks like I'll be attaching my recycled pelican via home-depot stainless hardware again.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Spooler View Post
    I have a Dart flyscreen which is much easier to install and remove than the Triumph one and seems functionally the same. I have not ridden with a passenger, my wife has her own bikes these days and the kids aren’t old enough. I have heard the exhaust is not a problem for passengers, fwiw.
    https://www.cyclegear.com/parts/mads...1200-2019-2022

How’s it compare in size to this?

Frustrating that so many helmets and accessories seem to be out of stock!

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post

That thing is huge, the Dart flyscreen is just a flyscreen. The nice thing about the Madstad is that its a quick mount/removal item, I’ve heard that it works well.

2019 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE
    2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Also, there are Chinese ripoffs of the Dart flyscreen that are 1/3 the price and seem to be similar quality, if you want to try one without too much commitment.

2019 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE
    2022 Husqvarna fe501s

I’m honestly a little perplexed as to how most people get on some of these adventure bikes.

With side cases and a top case, on top of a high seat height…

How do you get on?

Step on a peg and swing a leg over/step over?

Can a peg hold all the weight of a person, repeatedly?
    Side cases and a top case do not require any gymnastics to mount. As long as the passenger seat is clear you have plenty of room to swing your leg.

When you've got a bag on your passenger seat though, it can be daunting but it really just takes a little finesse. Being 6'2" with a 34 inseam helps, but I don't actually use the peg. I swing my knee over the rider seat as you would any other bike, except once my knee clears the seat I pivot my knee towards the ground and my boot up in the air, tucking it as close to my butt as possible, in one smooth motion. That gives my foot enough clearance to get over pretty much any bag on the passenger seat. It's worked well enough to clear my 60L Mosko bag the few times I've used it, like when I rode the MABDR.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Lifer

Side cases and a top case do not require any gymnastics to mount. As long as the passenger seat is clear you have plenty of room to swing your leg.

When you've got a bag on your passenger seat though, it can be daunting but it really just takes a little finesse. Being 6'2" with a 34 inseam helps, but I don't actually use the peg. I swing my knee over the rider seat as you would any other bike, except once my knee clears the seat I pivot my knee towards the ground and my boot up in the air, tucking it as close to my butt as possible, in one smooth motion. That gives my foot enough clearance to get over pretty much any bag on the passenger seat. It's worked well enough to clear my 60L Mosko bag the few times I've used it, like when I rode the MABDR.

You must be limber.

What’s the seat height on that? The XE is 34.25. First bike I can’t flat foot both feet.

Lifer

You must be limber.

What’s the seat height on that? The XE is 34.25. First bike I can’t flat foot both feet.

Lifer

Goose step followed by hobbling on one leg. I get all the girls this way.

Madstads are ugly barn doors, but so worth it for 500 mile days.

Also, being 5'7"" ish with a 30" inseam means standing on a peg to mount the Tiger with luggage. The only way I could get on my WR was the same but I also needed to weight the right peg as I got on to lever the bike upright.

50k on the Tiger and the kickstand hasn't given out yet.

Last edited by e30addict; 03-21-22 at 07:30 AM.
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

You must be limber.

6'2" 225lb dude with a dad bod. Yeah I suppose I'm above average for agility, plus being only 37 helps.

Seat height is supposedly 33.8/34.4 with seat in the low/high position, but I also have a PP comfort seat which adds 20mm, and I run my seat high all the time. Then in summer I add my cool covers which probably adds another 5-ish mm. So let's say 35.4 or so. With the KTM Rally pegs I can get the balls of my feet down on both sides.

The only bike I've ever been intimidated by seat height by is my buddy's 1290SAR. I'm pretty far above your average American height, though.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
    My general advice for someone in your situation is: find a used DR650/KLR650/XR650L in good condition with some good farkles for $3-4k, whichever you can find a deal on. It’s like a free trial - You can ride the piss out of it for a year (or more) and it will still be worth that same $3-4k. The 650 thumpers are a good middle ground to get your feet wet in the dualsport/ADV world, and see how you actually end up riding. If you want to upgrade, you can easily flip it and get something more pavement biased or dirt biased.
    You were spot on.

Guy on CL has a 2017 dr650 for $4,000

But he doesn’t respond to emails so..

I almost pursued it harder before buying the XE, and now I’m a still jonsing for one… three bikes is a bit excessive tho

Lifer

..three bikes is a bit excessive tho
    Get out! Seriously. Sign out and forget your password!

My casual observation is that the dual-sport & ADV segment is on fire right now. Some years ago you could snatch these things up for a couple grand, maybe $3-4k for a nice one with some extras. Now people want serious money for 'em. The big ADV used market is insane. No way I'm giving you more than new retail for a used T7. .. But then I called a couple dealers and found that dealer markup is actually a thing.

The DR650 in particular seems crazy popular with the older crowd. I know several BMW types that seem to gravitate to the big DR. The DRZ400 or 250's are somewhat less so. Although the (now obsolete) WR250R was a close 2nd. What irks me about the big DR crowd is that they often dismiss smaller bikes. I think there is a big bike mentality with many, particularly in my father's generation. Residue from the days when anything under 750cc was a disposable import vs a "real" bike. My father still thinks you need at least a 1000cc to highway comfortably. No exceptions.

Lifer

I’m drawn to the dr650.

But also kinda dig the tw200 but have never seen one in person. Does that rear tire make it float?!?