Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thinking about dual sport/ ADV bike

Lifer

Re: Thinking about dual sport/ ADV bike

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    I'm picking up a T7 on Saturday...for Tony. It's going straight to GMD for upgrades.
    Sweet! I thought he'd already bought one. Very interested to hear his $0.02 of it.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I sat on it. It's the slimest and tidiest of the middleweight ADV bikes. The seat is pretty light on padding. But it's flat and wide. For me the bike is tall and a bit top heavy. I'm sure that disappears a bit under way, but I would need Gene Simmons boots.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Jewcati View Post
    Local dealership is willing to make me a pretty good deal on trading the indian for a 890 adventure r. Pretty compelling.
    It’s a sizable chunk of dough. I’m just trying to be the voice of reason here and say make sure you want it, and need it.
    That said, it’s only money, and you can always make more.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Honestly, I have so much equity in the bike it actually helps me out financially and still allows me to have a bike I want to ride! That is really what is pushing me that way.

What is absolutely necessary to add.

I would think top case for commuting, barkbusters, and the sw motech skid plate. Doesn’t seem like you really “need” any crash bars due to the location of the tank and the sw motech skid plate does some coverage for that as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would skip anything from swmotech completely.
    I will type a listing of must haves if you want.
    There’s some speculation as to what is and isn’t included in the 2021 software package for this bike. I would definitely muscle the dealer into including some of these if you’re pursuing it at all.

Start flipping through this.
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/2021-...rally.1470293/
    I haven’t dug too deep, as I’m content, and not gonna upgrade. Skip the parts where people are whining about it being 15lbs heavier. Turns out it’s not. That’s all the misinformation that stands right out off the top of my head.

Also, this is full of little tidbits that’ll likely be pertinent to both bikes.
    https://790adventure.net/

Last edited by Chippertheripper; 12-17-20 at 04:05 PM.
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by feralchimp View Post
    I'll answer from my 701 Enduro experience; basically a blue/white clone of the same bike. Plenty of power for the highway, but vibey as hell (even after pillow grips and bar risers with maybe-vibe-isolating bushings) and literally the worst possible wind situation. I full-tucked it for about an hour at a time, but would usually prefer to drop 20mph and deal with side roads. Road feel improved a ton once I put on SM wheels/tires, but the wind situation is the same.

Anytime I have more than 50 miles of highway ahead of me, I leave the single at home and take the twin.

[Edit: Read further down the thread. Mine is a 2017, before the apparent counterbalanced motor change. My previous CRF250L's all had counterbalancers and were *astonishingly* smooth. Still a tough wind scene but the new 300's from Kawi and Honda should be worth a look.]
    agreed, it's still not a great slab bike...but what if you inched it closer enough to make it tolerable? Setup your gearing to accept either a 13t/15t and swap the 15 if you're doing a lot of slab and can keep the same chain. Add some wind protection, get a seat concepts, and find a happy medium speed. Sometimes 80mph can be fatiguing, while 70mph can go for hours. Knowing it's just a slab to the trails; slow down, take your time and enjoy the ride. Then when you get to the trails you can enjoy the light swiftness nature of a single off road vs. the fat "uh oh I can't correct this" weight of a twin.

Last edited by breakdirt916; 12-17-20 at 04:38 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    I would skip anything from swmotech completely.
    I will type a listing of must haves if you want.
    There’s some speculation as to what is and isn’t included in the 2021 software package for this bike. I would definitely muscle the dealer into including some of these if you’re pursuing it at all.

Start flipping through this.
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/2021-...rally.1470293/
    I haven’t dug too deep, as I’m content, and not gonna upgrade. Skip the parts where people are whining about it being 15lbs heavier. Turns out it’s not. That’s all the misinformation that stands right out off the top of my head.

Also, this is full of little tidbits that’ll likely be pertinent to both bikes.
    https://790adventure.net/
    What’s wrong with the sw motech skid plate? Do you not feel like you need protection over the tank?

I will be dropping this thing a lot more than you do. So will need protection

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    I sat on it. It's the slimest and tidiest of the middleweight ADV bikes. The seat is pretty light on padding. But it's flat and wide. For me the bike is tall and a bit top heavy. I'm sure that disappears a bit under way, but I would need Gene Simmons boots.
    [noob]from what I've come to understand, that top heavy feeling does in fact disappear at slow and higher speeds off road[/noob]]

Last edited by breakdirt916; 12-17-20 at 04:37 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

What’s wrong with the sw motech skid plate? Do you not feel like you need protection over the tank?

I will be dropping this thing a lot more than you do. So will need protection

No, you definitely want an aftermarket skid plate.
    I have the enduro engineering one currently. When I fully mangle it, I’m going to get the AXP one next.
    If you feel like you must have a metal one, black dog cycle works is the one.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Lifer

When I fully mangle it, I’m going to get the AXP one next.
    Hope I'm not derailing too much here, but I bought one of their HDPE skidplates for my WR last year. Bought direct from their site, shipped from Europe. Went surprisingly smooth and it's a nice piece. One of the 'wings' that is plastic-welded on is starting to separate though. I'm not sure it's much of a flaw considering I've thoroughly crash-tested it. But it's a possible drawback that is less likely to occur on a single piece of plastic. That said, if/when it gives up, pretty sure I'll order another the next day.

Edit: And I plan to investigate how difficult it would be for me to re-weld the plastic this winter. Because that'd pretty much eliminate that drawback unless you lose a tab on the trail.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by aldend123; 12-17-20 at 04:48 PM.
    nedirtriders.com

If you feel like you must have a metal one, black dog cycle works is the one.
    Yes. The one on my 1290 is really nice. I've bottomed hard and barely a scratch. Holds it's shape well, even when remounting after oil changes. Plus, I wanted to move the kickstand mound off the engine case (dumb design). I think they corrected that on the 790.

The kickstand is off the engine case for the 790, but they put the switch in a precarious spot.
    Luckily, there’s a fix for that.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

So to be totally naive, as I am finding GPX routes on adv rider, do I need a dedicated gps or can I just us a phone app that works well for dirt/tarmac?

Any recommendations?

Gaia works pretty well for importing and following gpx files on your phone.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

So to be totally naive, as I am finding GPX routes on adv rider, do I need a dedicated gps or can I just us a phone app that works well for dirt/tarmac?

Any recommendations?

If you have a smartwatch (like a Garmin Fenix) you can probably load them there too?

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Gaia works pretty well for importing and following gpx files on your phone.
    Cool...yeah, I just can’t see the utility of a stand-alone gps anymore

Cool...yeah, I just can’t see the utility of a stand-alone gps anymore

They're pretty pimp when you get remote.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

OsmAnd maps is good. Download the maps for the region you are in (so it works without cell service) and just load gpx files on your phone. You can then easily overlay them on nav screen.

I use a Garmin Montana in full day dual sport desert rides...wouldn’t want to drop a $400 phone instead of a rugged $200 GPS. Phone/Inreach Mini are the backup and SOS. But I go hours away from a road/truck/signal

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    They're pretty pimp when you get remote.
    Or when the canopy is really dense.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

And be cautious with how your phone can handle the vibrations. I’ve herd of IPhones being killed through the vines of thumpers.

My opinion is the 790/890 ADV-R is in a class of its own. That's all day street comfort and the same amount of fun as a 690/701. With a 690 you will tackle hill climbs and mud bogs that the 790 will have you pause and wish for MotoZ Rallz Tires and balls to back up the all or nothing commitment it will take. LOL I think the 690/701 SUCK at all things.They suck at street riding and are terrible in the dirt if you are used to a real dirt bike. Somehow the 690/701 convince you that they are better in the dirt then they are until the bite you. The DR and XL keep your brain wired for slow and comfort. They don't telegraph the same type of built from a single bar of billet that the KTM's somehow put into their product. One thing the 690/701 are great at is wheelies. DANG! If you want to balance point wheelie for days they are amazing bikes!

I have owned a KTM 350EXC-F, KTM 250XC-W 2stroke, 19 Husky 701 SM and my 790 ADV-R. If you can afford the KTM as one bike for all things you can't go wrong. I don't miss my woods bikes as I get a light taste or hard woods riding on my 790 in places my bud struggles on his WR250. (Yes he admits he sucks in dirt, but seriously that WR250 is a tank compared to a real woods bike.)

The full on woods riding I today would get a KTM 150XC-W TPI. The lightest full on woods machine for my smaller 5'9", old man (58yrs), bonkers riding. The older I get the more I want my dirt bike to weigh less. Lifting it over a log or out of a bog to wrestling it to the ground when I need to step off on an abandoned effort, to simply riding longer requires less weight. This is how I view all out dirt riding. Less weight equates to more fun in the woods of New England. This translates to dual sports. That balance of comfort for street disappears with lightweight bikes. The heavier they get the worse off they are in the woods. For me the real question was, What is the most comfortable streetable bike that gives me a taste of hard core off road riding.

My dirt bikes are gone and same with my 701SM. I'm keeping my 790 ADV-R with all its add-ons of quick shifter (Dang that is FUN), cruise control and heated grips. I keep it in offroad mode 99% of the time with front ABS always on and the rear off and slip set to 4. It wheelies like my 701 and hoons like a big supermoto. Yet the stock seat is all day comfortable for me if I mix some off road standing once and a while. In the bombed out jeep trails it tells you to ride it hard. The only complaint I have with the bike is the 790's revvy motor needs a heavier flywheel. It can flame out at low speed clutch slipping stuff. I hear the 890 addressed this. Makes me wish I had waited a year.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Send cash... I need a track day

Lifer

Damn you people.

I have demo'd the Yamaha T7. The motor is linear and easy to ride but down on power compared to the 790. It feels really slim though and is a bargain at the price. If money were tighter I would have no issue riding the T7 with suspension upgrade. The T7 has a plush ride compared to the KTM. The KTM on the street can feel harsh but when you get surprised by a whoop on a fast woods ride it blows through it like it was designed for such things.

I honestly love the look of the red/white T7. I think the 790 is ugly in comparison but the KTM is on another level up. If you tend to be hard on equipment and bash the hell out of your stuff like I do then the 790 is worth it. If you tend to take it slow and consider big bike woods riding a trials sport then the T7 is best. That motor/clutch is just so much easier at low speeds and the narrowness of the bike squeezes between those boulders at the end of the trial that keep the riff raff out.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Send cash... I need a track day

Quote Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
    My opinion is the 790/890 ADV-R is in a class of its own. That's all day street comfort and the same amount of fun as a 690/701. With a 690 you will tackle hill climbs and mud bogs that the 790 will have you pause and wish for MotoZ Rallz Tires and balls to back up the all or nothing commitment it will take. LOL I think the 690/701 SUCK at all things.They suck at street riding and are terrible in the dirt if you are used to a real dirt bike. Somehow the 690/701 convince you that they are better in the dirt then they are until the bite you. The DR and XL keep your brain wired for slow and comfort. They don't telegraph the same type of built from a single bar of billet that the KTM's somehow put into their product. One thing the 690/701 are great at is wheelies. DANG! If you want to balance point wheelie for days they are amazing bikes!

I have owned a KTM 350EXC-F, KTM 250XC-W 2stroke, 19 Husky 701 SM and my 790 ADV-R. If you can afford the KTM as one bike for all things you can't go wrong. I don't miss my woods bikes as I get a light taste or hard woods riding on my 790 in places my bud struggles on his WR250. (Yes he admits he sucks in dirt, but seriously that WR250 is a tank compared to a real woods bike.)

The full on woods riding I today would get a KTM 150XC-W TPI. The lightest full on woods machine for my smaller 5'9", old man (58yrs), bonkers riding. The older I get the more I want my dirt bike to weigh less. Lifting it over a log or out of a bog to wrestling it to the ground when I need to step off on an abandoned effort, to simply riding longer requires less weight. This is how I view all out dirt riding. Less weight equates to more fun in the woods of New England. This translates to dual sports. That balance of comfort for street disappears with lightweight bikes. The heavier they get the worse off they are in the woods. For me the real question was, What is the most comfortable streetable bike that gives me a taste of hard core off road riding.

My dirt bikes are gone and same with my 701SM. I'm keeping my 790 ADV-R with all its add-ons of quick shifter (Dang that is FUN), cruise control and heated grips. I keep it in offroad mode 99% of the time with front ABS always on and the rear off and slip set to 4. It wheelies like my 701 and hoons like a big supermoto. Yet the stock seat is all day comfortable for me if I mix some off road standing once and a while. In the bombed out jeep trails it tells you to ride it hard. The only complaint I have with the bike is the 790's revvy motor needs a heavier flywheel. It can flame out at low speed clutch slipping stuff. I hear the 890 addressed this. Makes me wish I had waited a year.
    I have the TE150, so we would be having a very similar garage!

You had a multi too, didn’t you? Like the KTM better than that? Obv better off road