Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thinking about dual sport/ ADV bike

Re: Thinking about dual sport/ ADV bike

I have bumot hard panniers and racks. They also make a set of soft panniers too...
    But everyone is really jazzed on mostly mosko moto, and giant loop type luggage.
    Depending on which type you choose, you may or may not need a set of racks to support it, or a heat shield for the muffler, or whatnot. This is deep rabbit hole.

This eve I’ll make a list of stuff that I either have or want, and why when I can sit down with my laptop.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Mosko Moto is as much as some bikes now though.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    I have bumot hard panniers and racks. They also make a set of soft panniers too...
    But everyone is really jazzed on mostly mosko moto, and giant loop type luggage.
    Depending on which type you choose, you may or may not need a set of racks to support it, or a heat shield for the muffler, or whatnot. This is deep rabbit hole.

This eve I’ll make a list of stuff that I either have or want, and why when I can sit down with my laptop.
    I like the Kriega stuff...so expensive though.

What is your view on rack systems with soft bags? Does it lessen the change of breakage of the racks? Are the racks sturdy enough to protect in a tip over?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes the racks are solid, and soft bags deform and help absorb impacts. Hard cases tend to transmit more force to mounting points etc...

Huge fan of soft bags.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

I like the bumot stuff, looks really nice and way more affordable.

I haven’t seen the bumot soft bags in person.
    I like the hard boxes for commuting, because they’re almost level with the passenger seat and tail rack so I can strap my hockey bag sized gear bag to the top nice and easy like, if I need to.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I haven’t seen the bumot soft bags in person.
    I like the hard boxes for commuting, because they’re almost level with the passenger seat and tail rack so I can strap my hockey bag sized gear bag to the top nice and easy like, if I need to.
    Yeah. I hate top boxes because i can't get my fucking leg over them!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Yeah. I hate top boxes because i can't get my fucking leg over them!

you can't get your leg over a rupp style minibike.

you have any intel on what TTD is got planned for the suspension?
    ps: the black is the best looking of those. he chose wisely.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Pete said the forks are basically last gen R1 forks. Pretty solid and fully buildable, and the shock is also a decent platform. I think Tony is just doing a respring/revalve for his weight.

I heard there are Ktech cartridges available, as well as ohlins shocks for the spendthrifts.

Paul_E_D

ok man, here's a long one, so walk with me.

Really, you need to either get into the 790/890 whatever Facebook group is most widely used, or join here, and start reading: https://advrider.com/f/forums/parall...d-790-890.106/
    One of the advrider goons curates this too: https://790adventure.net/ which is sort of a database...things like how to reset the service light, all the little niggles that were part of the 790 launch, anything noteworthy he's been adding. I've no idea if he or someone will incorporate or make a different one for the 890 as some things are different, but they're pretty close to the same bike.
    so...get ready to break out your wallet...
    things I can advocate for:

a side stand foot. I used some amazon or eBay knock off.

folding clutch and brake levers, same...the brake plunger took a little fiddling with to get it seated properly so it didn't drag, but once it set up, all good.

prerunmoto rear top rack plate https://www.perunmoto.com/collection...p-luggage-rack
    they make some soft luggage stand offs that take the place of the aft/side plastics too, take a gander.

camel adventures 1-finger clutch arm https://camel-adv.com/collections/kt...bundle-save-25
    thats a link to their kit, but you want a headlight support thing before you start getting too sendy with it. you do NOT want to crack those bolts off. put a headlight support near the very top of your list. the heat shield might not be necessary, especially if you do a cat delete (arrow seems to be the best bang/buck if thats your thing), but the 1 finger clutch is a great cheap upgrade, even though the 890 has a different clutch than the 790.

riser/steering damper mount: https://www.tripleclampmoto.com/coll...-890-adventure
    the stock one is similar to a mid 00's gsxr, not great for off-road. a proper damper like this is more of a luxury item, but once you have one, you'll want one on every woods bike.
    TCM also makes a headlight brace (which I have), its fine. pick one.

These dudes are on the forefront of performance upgrades: https://www.rottweilerperformance.co...890-adventure/ high end stuff. but they sell most of the other things you need too, like that skid plate. look at the vanache countershaft guard, Rottweiler fuel pump guard and fuel line elbow replacement, canister removal kit (you dont want the overflow on top of the header), their kickstand sensor relocator, and they make a tail tidy thats nice if that tickles you too. A single disk conversion is probably next on my personal list after I get my suspension worked, ala 950se style, but with better components (the 790 is already ahead here with a more powerful stock master than the SE had, but the Brembo stuff is sexy, as we all know).

I use whatever amazon style grip heater kits are out there that dont use a big ceramic resistor for the low setting. I like the hi/lo filaments in the bar wrap itself. the factory grip warmers are cumbersome, and the grips suck (so now I can run the pillow top dirtybike grips too), and it cost 3x more anyways. same thing with the seat heater. I used a kit, and installed it under the seat cover myself.
    my bike currently has a seat concepts seat on it, and it works better for me than stock, but I'm not married to it. they do make a few different shapes and heights though.

tires and wheels: tires are for you to pick, but the stock rims are notoriously soft. they'll ding. if you ding them hard enough you run the very real risk of flatting, as they're tubeless. It'll cost about 750ish to strip the wheels to the hubs, ship them to dubya, and have them built to suit, tubed or tubeless, and you can still use hem bearings or your standard upgrades from all balls. its also 500ish cheaper than the power parts wheels or a complete set from one of the aftermarket companies. the stock wheels are serviceable, dont be too scared to ride the bike, but do count on putting a few good whacks in especially the front as you grow into it. for whatever reason, they unnecessarily wide as well, which was another reason to get them relaced, but mostly just cuz they're made of butter.

when it's time to do chain and sprockets ill drop a BRP chain slider on too, so I'm less likely to bend those mounts on the swingarm.

skid plate and bark busters we covered, with fold away mirrors (I use the universal ram ball style), I use a quad lock phone mount too for the bars...they now make an anti vibe thing to not kill the phones camera (which I've not experienced), but I have the old style thats more rigid.

when I did the canister delete I heat shielded the inside of the fuel tank, put the Rottweiler pump guard/elbow on, and a powercell fuel cap replacement. the latter is not necessary, but the stock cap becomes a little annoying with the steering damper in the way.

luggage. pick a system. Mosko offers a set of offset (so you can put the thinner one on the exhaust side) and their own pannier rack, that together is more or less the same price as the bumot rack and soft panniers. if I were only using soft bags, I'd go with the Mosko, personally. I like the hard bags for the shelf it creates, as I mentioned earlier. the bumot soft bags have a rigid back and mount to the racks solid, but the Mosko stuff is much more modular, if you were going to expand or add on for a longer trip.
    I have one of the duffels that twisted throttle sells too, I think its a dryspec, which isn't so bad, but I've heard they're prone to ripping the mounting straps off in real fast woodsy conditions.
    time will tell. wolf man, giant loop, Mosko, and maybe a few others make adv spec soft luggage. it's a buyers' market.

I may think of a few things I missed. I intentionally left out performance stuff, intake, exhaust, fueling, and the like. some people automatically toss a loud can on a bike first thing. I'm not one of those characters. especially with something like this, I quite like to sneak in and out of places with no notice. a loud exhaust defeats that purpose. also, the tc on the bikes chops the throttle in wheelspin situation, so getting this bike to make more power seems silly, especially when you consider this very simple thing: any adventure bike will spin the back tire in any off-road scenario. so making more power here is a waste once the tire is already broken loose.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Chippertheripper; 12-19-20 at 09:16 PM.
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Pete said the forks are basically last gen R1 forks. Pretty solid and fully buildable, and the shock is also a decent platform. I think Tony is just doing a respring/revalve for his weight.

I heard there are Ktech cartridges available, as well as ohlins shocks for the spendthrifts.
    I was more curious if he was going to try and add travel length I guess. I realize he isn't a giant human either, but was unsure if he was going to turn it into the giant dirtbike I think all these bikes wish they were.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

I was more curious if he was going to try and add travel length I guess. I realize he isn't a giant human either, but was unsure if he was going to turn it into the giant dirtbike I think all these bikes wish they were.
    It's too tall for me stock! I don't think raising it would would for anyone but giants. PK could barely flatfoot it.

Paul_E_D

flatfooting is way overrated.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

With how top heavy it is i would be unable to turn it around on the trail. I would lower it. Static clearance is useless if you can't take advantage

Paul_E_D

ok man, here's a long one, so walk with me.

Really, you need to either get into the 790/890 whatever Facebook group is most widely used, or join here, and start reading: https://advrider.com/f/forums/parall...d-790-890.106/
    One of the advrider goons curates this too: https://790adventure.net/ which is sort of a database...things like how to reset the service light, all the little niggles that were part of the 790 launch, anything noteworthy he's been adding. I've no idea if he or someone will incorporate or make a different one for the 890 as some things are different, but they're pretty close to the same bike.
    so...get ready to break out your wallet...
    things I can advocate for:

a side stand foot. I used some amazon or eBay knock off.

folding clutch and brake levers, same...the brake plunger took a little fiddling with to get it seated properly so it didn't drag, but once it set up, all good.

prerunmoto rear top rack plate https://www.perunmoto.com/collection...p-luggage-rack
    they make some soft luggage stand offs that take the place of the aft/side plastics too, take a gander.

camel adventures 1-finger clutch arm https://camel-adv.com/collections/kt...bundle-save-25
    thats a link to their kit, but you want a headlight support thing before you start getting too sendy with it. you do NOT want to crack those bolts off. put a headlight support near the very top of your list. the heat shield might not be necessary, especially if you do a cat delete (arrow seems to be the best bang/buck if thats your thing), but the 1 finger clutch is a great cheap upgrade, even though the 890 has a different clutch than the 790.

riser/steering damper mount: https://www.tripleclampmoto.com/coll...-890-adventure
    the stock one is similar to a mid 00's gsxr, not great for off-road. a proper damper like this is more of a luxury item, but once you have one, you'll want one on every woods bike.
    TCM also makes a headlight brace (which I have), its fine. pick one.

These dudes are on the forefront of performance upgrades: https://www.rottweilerperformance.co...890-adventure/ high end stuff. but they sell most of the other things you need too, like that skid plate. look at the vanache countershaft guard, Rottweiler fuel pump guard and fuel line elbow replacement, canister removal kit (you dont want the overflow on top of the header), their kickstand sensor relocator, and they make a tail tidy thats nice if that tickles you too. A single disk conversion is probably next on my personal list after I get my suspension worked, ala 950se style, but with better components (the 790 is already ahead here with a more powerful stock master than the SE had, but the Brembo stuff is sexy, as we all know).

I use whatever amazon style grip heater kits are out there that dont use a big ceramic resistor for the low setting. I like the hi/lo filaments in the bar wrap itself. the factory grip warmers are cumbersome, and the grips suck (so now I can run the pillow top dirtybike grips too), and it cost 3x more anyways. same thing with the seat heater. I used a kit, and installed it under the seat cover myself.
    my bike currently has a seat concepts seat on it, and it works better for me than stock, but I'm not married to it. they do make a few different shapes and heights though.

tires and wheels: tires are for you to pick, but the stock rims are notoriously soft. they'll ding. if you ding them hard enough you run the very real risk of flatting, as they're tubeless. It'll cost about 750ish to strip the wheels to the hubs, ship them to dubya, and have them built to suit, tubed or tubeless, and you can still use hem bearings or your standard upgrades from all balls. its also 500ish cheaper than the power parts wheels or a complete set from one of the aftermarket companies. the stock wheels are serviceable, dont be too scared to ride the bike, but do count on putting a few good whacks in especially the front as you grow into it. for whatever reason, they unnecessarily wide as well, which was another reason to get them relaced, but mostly just cuz they're made of butter.

when it's time to do chain and sprockets ill drop a BRP chain slider on too, so I'm less likely to bend those mounts on the swingarm.

skid plate and bark busters we covered, with fold away mirrors (I use the universal ram ball style), I use a quad lock phone mount too for the bars...they now make an anti vibe thing to not kill the phones camera (which I've not experienced), but I have the old style thats more rigid.

when I did the canister delete I heat shielded the inside of the fuel tank, put the Rottweiler pump guard/elbow on, and a powercell fuel cap replacement. the latter is not necessary, but the stock cap becomes a little annoying with the steering damper in the way.

luggage. pick a system. Mosko offers a set of offset (so you can put the thinner one on the exhaust side) and their own pannier rack, that together is more or less the same price as the bumot rack and soft panniers. if I were only using soft bags, I'd go with the Mosko, personally. I like the hard bags for the shelf it creates, as I mentioned earlier. the bumot soft bags have a rigid back and mount to the racks solid, but the Mosko stuff is much more modular, if you were going to expand or add on for a longer trip.
    I have one of the duffels that twisted throttle sells too, I think its a dryspec, which isn't so bad, but I've heard they're prone to ripping the mounting straps off in real fast woodsy conditions.
    time will tell. wolf man, giant loop, Mosko, and maybe a few others make adv spec soft luggage. it's a buyers' market.

I may think of a few things I missed. I intentionally left out performance stuff, intake, exhaust, fueling, and the like. some people automatically toss a loud can on a bike first thing. I'm not one of those characters. especially with something like this, I quite like to sneak in and out of places with no notice. a loud exhaust defeats that purpose. also, the tc on the bikes chops the throttle in wheelspin situation, so getting this bike to make more power seems silly, especially when you consider this very simple thing: any adventure bike will spin the back tire in any off-road scenario. so making more power here is a waste once the tire is already broken loose.
    Thanks for the in depth overview. So I think I got most of those things. I believe the 890 now has a pump guard stock. I agree the hard bags are nice for commuting. I have a Scott’s damper for the te150, so the damper can do double duty on the mount. Exhaust would not get touched anytime soon and I also ordered the Axo skid plate, headlight brace (Rottweiler) and clear headlight guard.

Can the Scott’s damper be taken on and off without removing the bars? Figure easy enough to swap over when I ride woods.

I’ll look at mine before I leave for work in the morning.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Lifer

Rocky mountain now sells a mosko soft bag clone under the tusk brand. Both the rackless and racked systems. Looks pretty nice to my eye. Very blatant copy.

I have a full compliment of twisted soft luggage. The top case style dry bag has been excellent. I've used the hell out of it including a nothing checked fly and ride and now on my Harley too. Top shelf.

The saddle bags are copies of the wolfman bags and are too small for me. They worked well on my DRZ but I would want something larger for a heavier adv machine.

A lockable hard top case is hard to beat for commuting with the company laptop in tow. I hate the look. But they work so darn well.

I left for work this morning without looking at my damper. I’ll get it tomorrow.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

No worries, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Rocky mountain now sells a mosko soft bag clone under the tusk brand. Both the rackless and racked systems. Looks pretty nice to my eye. Very blatant copy.
    Is Tusk their in-house brand? I've always figured it was

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    It is.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    I guess the knock on the tusk frame is that it is very heavy, not sure about quality

Anecdotal at this point, as we’re on 790 here, but wrt the t7, if they had done that IT color in the US, I’d probably have grabbed one, and chased the rabbit hole of aftermarket electronic cruise and heavy suspension overhaul.
    Thinking about dual sport/ ADV bike-83a2e631-eb51-409a-ba97-6d750a1c2795

Because this ^ is fucking SICK!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

I don't think the suspension requires much

Paul_E_D

Anecdotal at this point, as we’re on 790 here, but wrt the t7, if they had done that IT color in the US, I’d probably have grabbed one, and chased the rabbit hole of aftermarket electronic cruise and heavy suspension overhaul.
    Thinking about dual sport/ ADV bike-83a2e631-eb51-409a-ba97-6d750a1c2795

Because this ^ is fucking SICK!
    Yeaahhhhh. That thing looks so much better with the IT livery.

I rode a 490 once. Good thing I didn't have any fillings back then.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!