Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thinking of selling my bike...seriously.

Hungry like a wolf... MissTwisties's Avatar

ah! BUT....I'd get something else for next year, tho.... I'd like to finish the season with my 250...like I'm riding it so often anyway (yeah right). My next choice? Leaning towards one of those FZ6....I sat on one, fits me like a glove. I think the bike is sexy, comfortable (I have back problems, so I need to choose carefully) and well...that's it.

Hopefully I can sell my 250 in the fall....I could be very happy not making payments on the bike while I'm not riding it anyway in winter, ya know. I'll probably put it on Ebay....unless I can fnd a buyer on NESR or else.

If anyone is interested....the bike has under 3000k I think (need to verify that), show room condition. 2003 Ninja 250, yellow.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    www.elementsofbalancemt.com
    www.facebook.com/misstwisties

"If you don't stand for something you fall for everything."
    "Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."

Lifer

Good luck... that bike has awesome resale value...

Ben

That bike will sell quick!! No problem getting your $$ back on that!

2001 Silver ZX-12R... RIP
    2005 KDX 200

3000k miles and you don't think you ride much? Oh, you meant 3k miles...

EX250s and 500s sell quickly and command pretty good resale value as they are very popular with beginners. I figured this out when we were looking for a bike for my wife. We ended up just getting her a new one as it wasn't much more expensive and would have a warranty. I'm sure you wouldn't have any problems selling it. The only thing is that the fall is not a great time to try to sell a bike as the season is almost over (well for most of us).

About the FZ6...I haven't ridden one but I've heard some pretty negative comments about it's powerband. It makes all of its (considerable, yes) power up top (although coming off of an EX250 it might feel like a torque monster ) and is supposedly very buzzy. I'd try to find one to ride before buying.

Good luck.

Jason LaCroix
    '02 Honda VTR1000F
    IBA #19722

Well, I'm thinking jumping from a 250 to the FZ6....I might like it. Not hard to beat. I was also considring the SVS. I'd have to go and sit on it again. If I remember right, the handles were lower, thus less comforable? I have absolutly NO interest in any nakked bike. If you have any other suggestions...maybe an R6, but they are not cheap compare to the FZ6 and the SVS...

"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."

guy on the vintage Yamaha Rice-rocket1's Avatar

The FZ6 has a more upright seating position than its cousin the R6.

Same motor as the R6 just tuned differently for the most part.

A friend at work has the FZ1 and loves it for seating ergo's and still has plenty of backroad fun.

My ride's

95 FZR 1000
    19xx DOUBLE "D"
    (sold) 02 CBR600 F4i (track bike)
    06 Chevy Supercharged Cobalt SS

You are in a somewhat tough situation if you want upright ergos and a fairing.

However, here would be a good list of bikes for you to consider, in rough order from lowest->highest performance and cost. I only included bikes with some sort of fairing per your preference.

Suzuki GS500F (looks decent but is inferior in almost every measure of performance to the next bike)
    Kawasaki Ninja 500R
    Suzuki Katana 600 (I'd pass, it's a big heavy thing...but fully-faired and pretty comfy)
    Suzuki SV650S
    Suzuki DL650 (maybe not your cup of tea, but thought I'd include it...it has upright ergos and would be plenty of fun IMHO)
    Yamaha FZ6
    Triumph Speed 4 (has a tiny little fairing and pretty much race replica ergos...so probably not your best bet)

I'm not sure if you're at the level where the next two bikes would make sense for you, but here are the two highest performance picks...which also sport relatively comfortable riding positions compared to other sportbikes, but here they are:

Kawasaki ZX6E (not the R model...this one lists at $6499 brand new, and I'm pretty sure you could get one for less)

Yamaha YZF600R

Have you ever ridden anything bigger than your EX250? If not, these bikes all weigh a lot more and you are going to notice it. I don't know how tall you are, but since you said the FZ6 fits you alright (31+ inch seat height IIRC) I'm going to assume you don't need a really low seat height.

Jason LaCroix
    '02 Honda VTR1000F
    IBA #19722

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Well, that's an idea.

Boy, that seat looks comfy doesn't it (on the first one...Randy just posted the 'tour' version as I was posting this)?

V, that's an MZ, btw. Powered by (IIRC) a 660cc single cylinder engine. Easy enough to manage, sure. But, I wonder what parts availability is like for those. I don't think they even sell those over here anymore.

Jason LaCroix
    '02 Honda VTR1000F
    IBA #19722

660 single is a yamaha engine those are 03 models, this year they are only selling the Baghira (3 versions, dualsport/motard type bike with same 660thumper) and a new 998cc parallel twin sportbike. yes dealers are scarce compared to asian bikes for sure but it is a yamaha motor. I have never heard anything bad about any models in the MZ line

RandyO
    IBA#9560

well yes, a more upright position is desirable for me. That's one of the thing I love about my 250, very comfy. Katana? Nope. I don't care much about a lot of power. I want something more powerful than my 250, mainly on departures so I don't feel like an idiot anymore leaving a red light!! lol I don't know...I have something big for that FZ6...it is comfy. I LOVE the undertail exhaust!!! I am 5.5 so I'm not tall, but I'm not short either. I don't particularly like the ninja 500...that front light is ugly. Just like I never liked the single front light on my 250 either. What about the Suzuki GS500? Looks pretty cool to me..cheap....would I notice enough difference of power with this one?

GS500F vs. EX500 (why I'd never get a GS over the EX) MCN 7/04

Measured top speed-
    GS500F: 99.2mph, EX500: 109.7mph

1/4 mi-
    GS500F: 14.67sec@88.3mph, EX500 13.09sec@97.5mph

0-60mph-
    GS500F: 6.05sec, EX500: 4.49sec

60-0 braking-
    GS500F: 124.2' (whoa! it's gonna win...better tires) EX500: 130.3'

dyno-
    GS500F: 38.1hp@8500rpm, 25.6ft-lb@7000rpm
    EX500: 49.9hp@9000rpm, 30.9ft-lb@7500rpm

average mpg-
    GS500F: 48
    EX500: 64

routine service interval-
    GS500F: 3500 miles
    EX500: 6000 miles

valve inspection/adjustment interval-
    GS500F: 3500 miles
    EX500: 12000 miles

cooling system-
    GS500F: air
    EX500: liquid

I could go on and on...

It is the looker of the two, but it just doesn't deliver much in the way of performance or value (look at the valve inspection/adjustment interval!) The GS's performance number actually are very close to the EX250.

Jason LaCroix
    '02 Honda VTR1000F
    IBA #19722

wtf. top speed for the GS500 99/hour?? i did 100miles an hour on my 250 without pushing it (meaning, it was not in the red zone)...so where is the problem? And the EX500? Top speed at 109?? haha....I want neither!! Not that I want to speed at higher rate anyway, but if the top speed is that low...doesn't that say that the bike wouldn't have much power than my 250? I want quick/rapid take offs at red lights. And I want power of acceleration. Doesn't mean I will speed any more than I did on my 250 tho.

Just a note, if your bike said you were doing 100 you were doing more like 90. I've seen other tests with top speed on the EX500 of upwards of 120; so I'm not sure what's up with the 109...

Jason LaCroix
    '02 Honda VTR1000F
    IBA #19722

Someone shit on the coats PatSV650's Avatar

My SV650 pulls really well from stops.... Acceleration is up there, not as much as IL-4's, but, it's got some good zip to it. Hard to be in the "wrong gear". Very torquey! I think they're offering a deal on SV-S' where you can get the full lower fairing so it looks like all the other sportbikes out there.

HP is about 70-ish.
    Top speed I believe is 139. (Only been to 125 so far)

ibanezfourstring from that other
    site
    my blog

'79 CB750 K (crash victim)
    '82 CB750 F Supersport (project: done! )
    "What is it about driving cars that makes you all such assh*les?!"

"I could have said "YOU'RE ABOUT TO BE STRUCK BY A VEHICLE!! " but instead, it came out more like a concerned moan " Dane Cook

I race an MZ Scorpion Tour. See my Avatar for a photo. More are on my website. http://www.kencondon.com/motorcycle.html

FYI, The Tour is the naked version, the touring one Randy posted is called the Traveller. It's a very capable sportbike. Mine is bone-stock except for ride height adjustments, some weight reduction, a pipe and jetting. I managed a 1:22.8 during the July race weekend.

And, Paul Duval's wife may be selling her Sport, which looks exactly like the orange one Randy posted.

My first post...IBnoobcomments

I have an FZ6. If you have any questions about the bike, let me know. I love it. My only complaint is the seat is pretty firm for a standard, but hopefully an aftermarket saddle will be available soon.

I have some back problems from an old injury in college, but in just over 1100 miles of riding this bike, it hasn't given me any grief. Now that it's past the break in period, I'm just starting to see what it can do. If you maintain throttle control, it's actually a very nice city bike. It's not touchy in the low gears like other sportbikes but when you get the revs up it can hang with most sportbikes.

Hope my first post here at NESR helped your decision.

Don L.
    2004 Yamaha FZ6 - Galaxy Blue

what do you mean by "city" bike? I ride the country roads/twisties OUTSIDE of the city!! LOL Oh and I think I have the custom "paddle" right there on my butt for the firm seat problem....LOL (no my butt is NOT that big) hehe...

That yellow "scorpion?...is a real nice bike...you said orange...it looks like yellow to me (on my screen anyway?)

Originally posted by MissTwisties
    what do you mean by "city" bike? I ride the country roads/twisties OUTSIDE of the city!! LOL Oh and I think I have the custom "paddle" right there on my butt for the firm seat problem....LOL (no my butt is NOT that big) hehe...

That yellow "scorpion?...is a real nice bike...you said orange...it looks like yellow to me (on my screen anyway?)

I live just outside of Providence, so in order to get to the twisties, I have to ride through the city.

It's a sweet backroad bike though. I'm just getting to know a lot of the backroads around here, but the FZ has yet to disappoint me on any of my "adventures".

Don L.

Is it quick on take offs? I mean....I'm not looking for performance like my husband ZX-9 or an R1 or anything like it...but I want definitly MORE power than my 250 (which I'm sure will not be hard to beat). I find a lot of satisfaction being able to quick take off at red lights, either driving the car, or riding the bike. I want to be able to accelerate fast tor each my speed limit (let's say, on highway for exemple, as I get on it, I want to reach the 65/hour faster than on my 250). I don't care much for the top speed, as I'll rarely go over 90 miles an hour on highway anyway. Does it seems like a comfortable bike for long distances (let's say I want to go to Quebec...)

The SVS is really tempting me also. They are both affordable bikes, too. Most of the others bikes such as an R6, or a Kawi ZX-6 (which I'd like also) are much more money.

Originally posted by laimbeer
    I live just outside of Providence, so in order to get to the twisties, I have to ride through the city.

It's a sweet backroad bike though. I'm just getting to know a lot of the backroads around here, but the FZ has yet to disappoint me on any of my "adventures".
    is that you I see on Thayer St. once in a while..

btw - nice ride

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBitch View Post
    From my experience, its the natural red heads (aka gingers) that have no soul--- I mean are crazy.

Originally posted by bigred875
    is that you I see on Thayer St. once in a while..

btw - nice ride
    Actually, that's my buddy Steve most likely. We have identical bikes except for a couple minor details. I'm going to try to make it up to Thayer one of these days. :o

Don L.

Originally posted by MissTwisties
    Is it quick on take offs? I mean....I'm not looking for performance like my husband ZX-9 or an R1 or anything like it...but I want definitly MORE power than my 250 (which I'm sure will not be hard to beat). I find a lot of satisfaction being able to quick take off at red lights, either driving the car, or riding the bike. I want to be able to accelerate fast tor each my speed limit (let's say, on highway for exemple, as I get on it, I want to reach the 65/hour faster than on my 250). I don't care much for the top speed, as I'll rarely go over 90 miles an hour on highway anyway. Does it seems like a comfortable bike for long distances (let's say I want to go to Quebec...)

The SVS is really tempting me also. They are both affordable bikes, too. Most of the others bikes such as an R6, or a Kawi ZX-6 (which I'd like also) are much more money.

This bike will definitely move off the line. 60 comes up in just over 3 seconds if that's any indication of what it can do in the right hands. When I learned to ride I was always taught to get up to speed and get through that intersection fast to avoid those idiot cagers. It's not a torquey bike, but it will move. Getting up to highway speeds is NEVER an issue.

It's very comfortable for long distances. I ride 40 miles one way to work, and with the exception of the achey ass from the hard seat, it's a great bike for distance riding. There's zero onboard storage space because of the undertail exhaust, but I bought a Joe Rocket Velocity tailbag that holds anything I might need for longer trips.

If you haven't already, checkout the FZ6 subforum over at sportbikes.net:

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=69

It's one of the most active forums on that site with a ton of info about the bike.

Don L.

Thanks for the great info. I'll make sure to check the forum tolearn more about the bike. No understorage sucks...but the undertail exhaust is great! I always have my tank bag anyway....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast