Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thinking on trading up, opinions por favor

Thinking on trading up, opinions por favor

I dig my R6 oodles, and as I've said before, I ride like a senior citizen. 99% of my riding is just comfortable backroads with my brother on his cruiser. That said, I'm thinking on trading up to an R1, just because the bike's a little bigger and more comfortable for me for longer rides. I'm 5'10 210lbs. Riding my R6 to work (Amesbury to Hansom AFB down in Lexington) just sucks.

I financed my R6 last season and paid the balance down so that I could keep making small payments on it and do the whole good-credit thing. I like the new R1 but I don't get on with the headlights, so I'm hoping to find a leftover '08 or a lightly used '07 with the last headlight style.

My thinking is (I've spent zero time riding one, just sat on a bunch in showrooms) that the R1 being slightly bigger will make it more comfortable for longer rides, and I'll be able to pay it down to the same level in a month or two because I have a fuckton of travel coming up (OT + hazard pay). So I'm on the fence about trading in my R6 as opposed to selling it just because it's less hassle and I can swap plates and all that jive immediately.

Thoughts? The R1 should be more comfortable for a dude my size than the R6, more displacement is always good, and the undertail exhaust means that I can get my passenger pegs back. Anyone see a flaw in said logic?

And while I'm on the topic, anyone know/work at a dealer that has a leftover R1, or something with super low miles on it?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Quigs; 05-26-09 at 12:53 PM.

Chris Q - 2007 R1
    Metalguitarist.org

Re: Thinking on trading up, opinions por favor

I'd think the r1 will be just as uncomfortable. Its a race bike so your in the same position. It may feel different than the r6 but my guess you'll find all the same aches and pains. You can always get some heli bars and adjustable rearsets to help. What aboout an fz1?

Jay
    2013 gixxer 750
    2009 Ducati M1100s
    2017 KTM exc-f 350

It's not really the riding position that bugs me, it's just that the seat feels, well, small. My ass needing to hit the gym (and my passion for dark beers) doesn't help the fact much either, heh. If they made a full fairing FZ1 I'd probably dig it, but I'm not much on for the half setup, even with the addon lowers they make (at least I assume they do, since they have one for the SV650).

I have risers and a corbin on the R6 so it's not terribly uncomfortable, I just wish it was more highway-friendly.

Chris Q - 2007 R1
    Metalguitarist.org

the undertail exhaust is HOT any traffic at all and you may start to question your logic

comfort wise the lean is really aggresive and sort of makes up for the sheer size so be prepared to be hunched over on long rides no way to get neutral unless upright at 80+ mph

if you would like to ride an 06 to get an idea (i think the ergos are very similar between the 06 and the 07,08) shoot me a pm and we can set something up.

but overall i love my r1 and bought it for comfort and the power

yes the power is very nice accept for the dead spot in the mid range around 5k.

also i have not had the chance to ride an r6, i have ridden alot of other 600's but not an r6. i have sat on one and for me being 6'2" the overall seating position for me is more comfortable) but once you get going after a long ride it gets old.

I also put woodcraft rear sets on my bike that raised up the footpegs about 1" and took away from some comfort but added to the bikes ability to drop into a corner.

just my thoughts and this is my 4th year with it

Lifer

If you're looking for comfort, the R1 is definitely not going to give you what you want. I've had an '04 R1, I currently have an '08 R1, and a couple of my buddies have 06/07 R6's which I've ridden. To be honest with you, the R1 doesn't feel like it's all that much of a bigger bike than the R6 when you're riding. As R1 said above, the undertail exhaust is horrendous and you'll notice as soon as you stop in traffic on a hot day. All that said, get an R1, they kick ass!

i think if you search around, there was recently a thread disputing this and the final decision is there isn't any more room on the r1 compared to the r6.

LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

Masshole transplant smack doogle's Avatar

I don't really know how an R1 would be any more than marginally more comfortable than an r6. Any of the Supersports are going to be around the same comfort wise. Not much differance in ergos between any of the big 4's 600's or 1000's. Maybe I'm confused because you said you ride an R6 like a senior citizen but you want an R1 for more power.
    If it was my money and I wanted comfort and power I'd go with an FZ1 or Aprillia Tuono or Triumph S3. Plus, you can probably find one of those 3 used for less money than a new or newer R1. Thats just my 2cents though.

Not trying to piss in your cereal. Just trying to understand better and assist.

Last edited by smack doogle; 05-24-09 at 11:15 AM.
    98 T509
    92 GSF400 (sold)
    2002 VFR (sold)
    2004 Buell XB12S (sold)
    2001 SuperHawk (totalled)
    1995 FZR (sold)
    2005 Z750S (sold)
    2003 SV650S (sold)

I like my cool old bike. Ericthejet's Avatar

I was going to suggest the FZ1 as well but if it is not in the running then?

Sticking with Yamaha?

i'm pretty sure you can get full-fairing kits for the SV. i don't think they're OE aftermarket, like the SV's (until they switched to OE with the 08+ SVS), but i'm pretty sure non-factory manufacturers make some decent ones

edit:

i actually rather quite like that, except for the antennae mirror stalks that look like their seig heil-ing, and the ginormous touring screen...

Last edited by spicy; 05-24-09 at 11:25 AM.

...adventure timeadventure time...adventure time...adventure time
    hurray, strikethrough!

Exactly the kind of input I was looking for, thanks all.

Chris Q - 2007 R1
    Metalguitarist.org

The R1 is hands down much more comfortable than the R6. The seat on an R6 plain sucks. It's wide an bothers A LOT of people in the inner thigh area. What I like about the R1 besides the better seat is with the extra HP and torque I am not 'rowing' through the gears when I am below the sweet spot in the RPM range, roll the throttle on and the power is there, the R6 requires a down shift or two. Like Keith said the undertail exhaust gets a little annoying, I only noticed it in traffic. The small amount the bike is larger, lenght, hight, etc. makes for better ergonomics.
    Just one mans opinion that has ridden both.

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

A slightly different choice would be a KTM superduke, I test rode one last year and the upright position was quite comfortable, and the engine/brakes/suspension is f-in awesome. There are days I wish I had gotten it over my current less comfortable but much faster zx10 especially on any ride over an hour. Not sure where amesbury is but Valley motorsports has a new 07 for just under 10 grand

If you're looking for a new one, Barton's Motorsports in Tamworth, NH has a couple of leftover 08s.

Everybody to the limit!

If you're looking for full-faired larger sportbikes with smaller engines, there's the VFR and the ZZR600 (former 00-02 ZX6R). If you want more power/modern, there's the ZX14 and the Busa. If you're willing to go used, a blackbird or zx12 could fit the bill.

Unfortunately if you want to stay Yamaha I'm not sure there's much out there in the last few years, there's the FJR but now you're into the touring side of sport touring...

Quote Originally Posted by Sheppo View Post
    The R1 is hands down much more comfortable than the R6. The seat on an R6 plain sucks. It's wide an bothers A LOT of people in the inner thigh area. What I like about the R1 besides the better seat is with the extra HP and torque I am not 'rowing' through the gears when I am below the sweet spot in the RPM range, roll the throttle on and the power is there, the R6 requires a down shift or two. Like Keith said the undertail exhaust gets a little annoying, I only noticed it in traffic. The small amount the bike is larger, lenght, hight, etc. makes for better ergonomics.
    Just one mans opinion that has ridden both.
    Having had both, what he said

Then again, I think CQ has the R6s? There's quite a big difference just between the R6 and R6s as far as comfort goes

Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    Having had both, what he said

Then again, I think CQ has the R6s? There's quite a big difference just between the R6 and R6s as far as comfort goes
    Aye, I have the R6s.

Again great comments/suggestions. I'd like to stick with Yami because I have an open line of credit with them already and I'm in the house market, so being able to walk in and not deal with approvals/inquiries is a bonus. Plus I love the way the R1 looks. I'm yet to see an 09 in person so it's possible I might end up digging the headlights anyway, heh.

I don't really hit much traffic in my normal riding, I leave later/go home later from work so I miss most of the 128 madness, and my regular riding is usually NH backroads and the coast late at night, so the exhaust shouldn't be much of an issue. (famous last words, hah)

Last edited by Quigs; 05-24-09 at 01:05 PM.

Chris Q - 2007 R1
    Metalguitarist.org

Quote Originally Posted by lrrs313 View Post
    If you're looking for a new one, Barton's Motorsports in Tamworth, NH has a couple of leftover 08s.
    Yikes, that's almost 100 miles from my house. Thank you though. I'm hoping that GBMS or Cycles 128 can find me an 08. I bought my R6 at G&G, but they're going out of business and there's nothing left there.

Chris Q - 2007 R1
    Metalguitarist.org

Aaand scoore, Billerica has one, and it's right by my work.

http://www.billericamotorsports.com/...764&pov=673013

Anyone ever deal with them?

Chris Q - 2007 R1
    Metalguitarist.org

lol, sheppo is a sales guy there (post #11) -- great dude, very class act.

PM him and i'm sure you'll be in for a treat. if/when i'm in the market for a new bike, i'll probably go there and get it through him. unfortunately they aren't a triumph dealership, so Doug, you've got 12 or so months to work and remedy that.

Last edited by spicy; 05-24-09 at 01:45 PM.

...adventure timeadventure time...adventure time...adventure time
    hurray, strikethrough!

FJR????

...does it all...comfortably...

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

I was at centralmainepowersports.com they had a 08 r1 last week.

Ride Fast Ride Safe

I know I'm jumping in late here, but Archie's Honda in New Bedford has leftover 07 R1 (blue) for sale. Good luck either way!
    -bryan

get yo r1 so you're happy and call it a night.

I do have one suggestion that may be a bit out of left field. Have you ever seen the YZF1000R (Thunderace)? It's a couple of years older (they stopped making them in '03), but this is one liter bike that has comfort in spades. It's basically like a big engined version of the more popular YZF600R (obviously).

They are getting harder to find, but usually they are in great condition when you do track one down. It has carbs instead of FI, but its still liquid cooled, and I happen to think its one helluva good looking bike.

Just thought it might be an alternative to the typical supersports, in case you were looking for more options.

Honestly, if an R6s bothers you then you should look more towards the touring spectrum. It doesn't sound like you're made for a ss. Definitely check out a VFR, Sprint ST, or FZ1.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast