Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Big thumbs down to "clip style" master links

Big thumbs down to "clip style" master links

Maybe I'm an idiot but... in an emergency I needed a master link for my ZX6R track bike. The local shop only carried "clip style" master links so I figured it should work well for at least one trackday. After that I got lazy and never bothered to switch to a "rivet style" one. About 4 trackdays later (my last one being yesterday) I come to notice that my clip is gone!!! I don't know how long I was riding without it but I'm sure it was there as of yesterday morning. So like I said, maybe I'm the only idiot here and the lot of you track guys and racers know this already but I'll say it anyway...if you are running a track bike with a "clip style" master link PLEEEEAAAASE change it out for a "rivet style" one. Also, check your chain frequently. Most of the time it takes experiences like these to learn the "Do's" and "Don'ts" of motorcycle maintenance. I consider myself very lucky that the master link didn't back out and send the chain flying off into my gearbox, my leg, or into the path of a fellow track rider/racer.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Common sense spoken here. toocrazy2yoo's Avatar

Re: Big thumbs down to "clip style" master links

Quote Originally Posted by madkaw View Post
    Maybe I'm an idiot but... in an emergency I needed a master link for my ZX6R track bike. The local shop only carried "clip style" master links so I figured it should work well for at least one trackday. After that I got lazy and never bothered to switch to a "rivet style" one. About 4 trackdays later (my last one being yesterday) I come to notice that my clip is gone!!! I don't know how long I was riding without it but I'm sure it was there as of yesterday morning. So like I said, maybe I'm the only idiot here and the lot of you track guys and racers know this already but I'll say it anyway...if you are running a track bike with a "clip style" master link PLEEEEAAAASE change it out for a "rivet style" one. Also, check your chain frequently. Most of the time it takes experiences like these to learn the "Do's" and "Don'ts" of motorcycle maintenance. I consider myself very lucky that the master link didn't back out and send the chain flying off into my gearbox, my leg, or into the path of a fellow track rider/racer.
    Great. Thanks, Dood. I'm about to do a 600-mile one-way on a 2003 Bandit after riding shaftie-bikes for over 20 years. Now I gotta hear that I need to check the chain frequently. Gas stops? Every 200 miles? Every 15 minutes?

I'm SO confused.

How serious could it BE?

I had a master link come apart about 15 years ago on the street. It came back and hit the lower case (cracking it) and lock up the rear tire while doing about 35mph. I don't know how I kept the bike up, oil all over the road and a locked up tire.

It ended up costing me about $1500 for a new case (I should have had it welded instead) but it could have been much worse.

currently just an oldman bike, but searching for my new ride
    .Sold to a guy in Mississippi searching for a new ride.

Quote Originally Posted by toocrazy2yoo View Post
    Great. Thanks, Dood. I'm about to do a 600-mile one-way on a 2003 Bandit after riding shaftie-bikes for over 20 years. Now I gotta hear that I need to check the chain frequently. Gas stops? Every 200 miles? Every 15 minutes?

I'm SO confused.

How serious could it BE?
    For commuting I'm sure you'd be fine using the clip, but for times where there's alot of stress being put on the chain from heavy acceleration and braking/engine braking (i.e.: track riding/racing, stunting, etc...) that's where I'd highly recommend the rivet over the clip. Again, alot of you guys probably already know this but I just wanted to throw it out there in case anybody is as dumb as me.

Resident Bodyman

black rtv on the clip helps

08zzr600

They make ones that you can screw on too. takes 2 lil nuts

If all else fails, Lean more....http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/brendanp/brendanp_sig.jpg

Clip style?? Never, ever again.....

Jake
    2006 ZX-10R
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

I have a dollop of red RTV on the clip of my race bike. Great visual indicator that things are still kosher. Doubtful an SV650 will spit a clip though.

Fitz

Quote Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
    I have a dollop of red RTV on the clip of my race bike. Great visual indicator that things are still kosher. Doubtful an SV650 will spit a clip though.

Fitz
    Oh yes they will ... I have seen it happen on a friend's SV.

It is the nature of the design.

My YZ250 ate a chain costing me boo-coo bucks to fix up.
    When I bought my SV, I did not think twice about buying the DID chain tool at over a hundred bucks.

Find a friend or just ride your bike to a shop and have them install the rivet for you if you are that broke.

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride would do.

is the master link clip ok for the casual street and occasional track day rider (1-2/year)?

also, it's for a lowly powered 14 year old FZR600

<---Thats a nice A$$! EFD 05 1K's Avatar

The clip styles have been around for a really long time and they work really well for normal use. I have had expirience with many dirtbike chains and have only had one clip ever come off, which says a lot being that i beat the crap out of them everyday when i was younger. I like the rivet style because it gives you the piece of mind your chain wont come apart at over 100mph but i would think it to be a pain in the ass to take off (with out the proper tooling) for somthing as simple as a tire change.

just my .02

05 Gsxr 1k Black/Silver, Yosh pipe, 8k HIDs, a very big grin

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxa750 View Post
    The clip styles have been around for a really long time and they work really well for normal use. I have had expirience with many dirtbike chains and have only had one clip ever come off, which says a lot being that i beat the crap out of them everyday when i was younger. I like the rivet style because it gives you the piece of mind your chain wont come apart at over 100mph but i would think it to be a pain in the ass to take off (with out the proper tooling) for somthing as simple as a tire change.

just my .02
    You're right about them working well for normal use. I've used them in the past on my street bikes and they've always stayed on. But I'm just saying that for a high stress environment, like a racetrack they're not recommended. I bought my chain tool a couple years ago so I have no excuse for not getting a rivet one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhavesh View Post
    is the master link clip ok for the casual street and occasional track day rider (1-2/year)?

also, it's for a lowly powered 14 year old FZR600
    I would say that you'd be OK but as you gain track experience you will ride harder and gradually put more and more stress on your chain/master link. Just check your chain every time you come off a track session to make sure it's still there.

I have only ever run clip style chains. I ride/race hard. I trust them, but I'm carefule installing the clip. Make sure the open end points to the back of the bike when on the top run of the chain and put a dab of rtv on it to be safe. Also, replace your chains/sprockets when they are worn.

Paul_E_D

i would think it to be a pain in the ass to take off (with out the proper tooling) for somthing as simple as a tire change.
    I just take the wheel off, slip the chain over the one side of the axel and leave it hanging off to the side? Why would you need to take the chain apart to take the rear wheel off?

<---Thats a nice A$$! EFD 05 1K's Avatar

I guess you could if your chain has enough slack. I know on my dirtbikes i just popped the chain apart so i didnt have to deal with it. Most of the time i had to because my chain was tight due to the gearing i have.

05 Gsxr 1k Black/Silver, Yosh pipe, 8k HIDs, a very big grin