Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Tiger 1050

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Re: Tiger 1050

Quote Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
    What kind of half-assing shmuck you think I am??!
    No, it was a proper retrofit job: separate the headlight housing, install quality projectors, etc.
    Not thinking anything about you. More a general statement about overly bright headlights, even factory installed headlights are guilty of the same thing. Rain just makes it even worse, the overly bright lights that are "aimed correctly" reflect off of every wet surface blindingly.

I'm truly curious about the conversion you did on your bike. Do you have a link to any information about how it is/was done? Only way I could understand it really working would be a complete replacement of the housing with a different design of reflector internally. Halogen reflectors and HID reflectors to my understanding are very different. The old curiosity gene has me going on this one.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    Not thinking anything about you. More a general statement about overly bright headlights, even factory installed headlights are guilty of the same thing. Rain just makes it even worse, the overly bright lights that are "aimed correctly" reflect off of every wet surface blindingly.

I'm truly curious about the conversion you did on your bike. Do you have a link to any information about how it is/was done? Only way I could understand it really working would be a complete replacement of the housing with a different design of reflector internally. Halogen reflectors and HID reflectors to my understanding are very different. The old curiosity gene has me going on this one.
    Projectors are not the same thing as reflectors. Projectors are just another housing that holds a bulb within it and "projects" the light outward due to the cut of a glass lens that surrounds the light. Projectors are smaller than reflector housings, and most people retrofit projectors directly into a reflector housing by simply cutting a hole in the back of the reflector housing and gluing the projector in place. The light is not actually using the reflector housing to reflect light, however (which is why many people paint the reflector housing black). It's only using the projector to throw and focus the light beam. You can technically place a projector housing anywhere since the lense is what "shapes" the light, but it's most convenient to place it within the reflector housing of the old lights for the sake of weather resistance and proper headlight placement.

Last edited by SRTie4k; 09-08-17 at 10:38 AM.
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post

Yeah, what SRTie4k said. It's a fairly common mod.
    Here's a link to some pictures from my retrofit HID install how-to, and product/vendor review - Band Of Riders
    I'm pretty sure I have before/after beam pictures stored somewhere. But it's like HID's in a car, with a crisp horizontal cutoff on low beam, when switching to high beam the cutoff shield moves out of the way.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Oh hey, I just remembered I have a spare headlight unit I'm not doing anything with. I could give it to you for a reasonable price if you have any interest in doing an HID conversion on your new tiger. Although if you have the TS lights I've heard those are better than an HID conversion... so... if you're interested let me know.

2019 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE
    2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Any of you knuckleheads have an OEM windscreen kicking around and want to get rid of?

They seem kind of hard to find. Mine came with the OEM touring screen and I wanted to try the regular OEM screen and couldn’t find one in good shape for a reasonable price (less than $100).

2019 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE
    2022 Husqvarna fe501s

So I picked up a like-new Russell seat recently. I haven't really ridden with it yet, but dang it's quite a bit taller. I was barely on tiptoes on the stock height seat, this one is probably 3/4-1" taller. Plus the taller seat makes the ergos a little less comfy for me. Any of you guys with longer legs than me interested in it?

Anybody else have a bike that kills the battery after 3-7 Days? Not sure if it is a “ feature” or the result of a wiring missstep. I have a fusebox in the tail for accessories and something in there is probably the culprit.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Anybody else have a bike that kills the battery after 3-7 Days? Not sure if it is a “ feature” or the result of a wiring missstep. I have a fusebox in the tail for accessories and something in there is probably the culprit.
    Yes, I've noticed that too, but I wasn't sure on the age of the battery. I just replaced it before a trip 2 weeks ago.

Any of you fellas that's less inseam-challenged as me interested in a mint-condition Russell daylong seat?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tiger 1050-img_7846-jpg  

I'd encourage you to try keeping it. I was a bit put off on how tall the bike felt when I first got mine, but once you learn to slide forward at stops, it's easy to live with and you'll appreciate the comfort on long rides.

Let me put it this way. When I'm riding my Goldwing Aspencade, I'm always reminded of how comfortable my V-Strom seat is. Yeah, it's that good.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Public service announcement.

Today my rear caliper rotated roughly 90° then pulled the braided stainless steel covered tube out of the connector. Turns out this is a “thing” and has happened to quite a few people. There is a slot on the swing arm the caliper carrier has to fit into.

The replacement part is T2027080 Rear Brake Hose Assy, ABS. It was about $100 delivered.

Last edited by Garandman; 05-29-18 at 07:33 PM.

Banned

A friend of mine moved out of the country and left his tiger with me to sell. I'll get some good photos and specs tonight. I just wanted to give a heads up if anyone is looking.

I MIGHT have a stock screen in a box of spares that came with it also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    A friend of mine moved out of the country and left his tiger with me to sell. I'll get some good photos and specs tonight. I just wanted to give a heads up if anyone is looking.

I MIGHT have a stock screen in a box of spares that came with it also.

1050 Or 800?

Trying to find an 800xc for someone.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Banned

1050 im afraid.
    Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    1050 Or 800?

Trying to find an 800xc for someone.

Last edited by Degsy; 05-30-18 at 01:30 PM.

Test rode an 800 before buying the 1050. The 800 was barely faster than my VStron, for $12,000. Hard pass for me though some people like them.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Test rode an 800 before buying the 1050. The 800 was barely faster than my VStron, for $12,000. Hard pass for me though some people like them.
    The 800 is much faster than a weestrom when you weigh 160

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123