Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Time to say Goodbye to a 2000 Ducati 996S

Time to say Goodbye to a 2000 Ducati 996S

I hate to say it but my new R1 has me thinking about selling/trading my ol' 2000 996S. The 996S has a long list of upgrades of injector mod, shaved flywheel from the old BCM crew that gave it a solid 123 rear wheel horsepower. Holding it on the road was a full upgraded Ohlins front end and tweaked spring rate and valving to the Ohlins rear shock for a 200+ pound rider. Slowing it down is an upgraded front brakes of radial Brembo's. It all adds up to a fully sorted and very entertaining bike. It's a tiny bike compared to the R1. It feels like a 250 with a monster motor. The Termi exhausts sound like hell being ripped open behind you. All good news with only 7500 miles. The major service was done 2 years ago including belts. The forks were rebuilt by Peter Kates last year... I pretty much never ride the thing cause it is at best a 30 minute motorcycle. Track days are a joy with the thing as it is very stable and predictable. A couple a year was what I did with it and being lazy I would just avoid braking and ride in the lower groups making time in the corners and going easy on the straights.

Time to say Goodbye to a 2000 Ducati 996S-track_day_2015_thompson_9-28-15-1473-zf

Why sell or trade it?

I got the new R1.
    Time to say Goodbye to a 2000 Ducati 996S-img_2266-jpg

The electronics are what make it entertaining. I like the security and the heroic feeling of powering out of a corner and knowing the slide control is on. If they fitted this system in an R6 I would gladly trade down as the motor is just insane for the tracks around here. But you have to love the R1's mid range...

So my decision may be to free up space in the garage by trading in two bikes, the 996S and a Duc Scrambler Full Throttle for a new Hyper SP. The trade in on the 996S is $6K I was wondering if I should sell the thing out right for another grand. Is it worth the hassle?

Anyone have a recent Hyper? Thoughts on living with the bike? I like the idea of hooning around on it. I like the Scrambler FT but the motor is a little eh and its really in need of a full suspension replacement. I figure the Hyper is really what I was looking for in the Scrambler. Just 1/2 a foot taller.

Sell or Trade

Thoughts on Hyper 939?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Send cash... I need a track day

Re: Time to say Goodbye to a 2000 Ducati 996S

I want a hyper so I'm going with you on that.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Sell. Although I'm wicked naive when it comes to bike prices, but thats a somewhat rare bike, no? And your description of it gave me a hard on. Hell ripping open behind you? Yes please. Put TOCE exhaust on the R1 and tell me what sounds better.

....................... PinHead's Avatar

I can't believe you are selling that bike!

BTW, this is Ed from the other site. You were just talking about that bike during breakfast last weekend.

2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2003 Harley Softail Deuce

Lifer

Sounds like you have a well sorted 996s. It is not likely to depreciate a great deal. I'd say keep it. The scrambler I really wanted to like but it definite is built to a lower standard. I ended up getting a monster 1100evo. The reason I mention is that they hyper never sold well. It's a very specific bike. Buy used if you can because it seems to depreciate more than other Ducs

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

Please do not put Toce exhaust on an R1....or any bike. Ever. Anybody.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    I can't believe you are selling that bike!

BTW, this is Ed from the other site. You were just talking about that bike during breakfast last weekend.
    Ed - It's the R1 making me do it. Hop off the R1 and onto the Duc and its like a step back to a time when real men controlled traction with their right wrist. When you want to ride like it was designed to be ridden its a joy at 80% pace. The issue is its going to sit and that's the worst thing to do to a bike. It's definitely a collectors bike. I still may hold onto it. Not sure...

Lifer

Time to say Goodbye to a 2000 Ducati 996S-r1pipes-jpgTime to say Goodbye to a 2000 Ducati 996S-r1back-jpgTime to say Goodbye to a 2000 Ducati 996S-newbike1-jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post
    Please do not put Toce exhaust on an R1....or any bike. Ever. Anybody.
    Hater.

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    Time to say Goodbye to a 2000 Ducati 996S-r1pipes-jpgTime to say Goodbye to a 2000 Ducati 996S-r1back-jpgTime to say Goodbye to a 2000 Ducati 996S-newbike1-jpg

Hater.

Toce are junk. That's squid shit dude haha.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Toce are junk. That's squid shit dude haha.
    First of all, I bought the bike like that, secondly, I don't have it anymore.

However, how are they junk?

Lifer

I demo'ed the Hyperstrada. If I had the dough, I'd totally own one.

Great sounds, even better with an aftermarket setup I imagine.
    Very flickable, great handling.
    Plenty of power. (Mind you I'm not used to the kind of power you clearly are.)
    Nice, upright-if a bit cramped-ergonomics. Very motard/dirt bike like.

I call it a much more powerful, much smoother, much better screwed together version of my DRZ400-SM. Would be huge fun to romp on. I'd bring it to track days as a 2nd bike beside that R1. First session when you're just out to remember where the line goes. Last session when the legs are feeling it and you just wanna to ride.

Took a ride to Seacoast yesterday and demo'd the standard Hyper 939. Like it was carved from a block of billet. Great motor, suspension, handling was light, and fueling was boat loads better than the Ducati Scrambler FT I road up there with. The seat sucks on both of those bikes. I saw the racing seat and its flat with suede covering and doesn't lock you into one place like the stocker does. Nice bike and it's got me thinking. Hold onto the 996S and just let the Scrambler go? Tough decision...

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Gorgeous R1 man! Can't find any better colors for it. Is the new R1 really that good? I would love to up grade for that extra power and electronics but then in the back of my head is the 1299. How do you like it and how are the ergos?

2009 YZF-R1 Raven with 2013 front conversion.(Current)
    2006 YZF-R6 50th Anniversary Edition

R1Lavin - The new R1's secret sauce is the electronics. The ergo's are tough. It's a long reach from the seat to the low bars but the pegs location are actually pretty relaxed. If you have knees that don't like to fold up tight then this sport bike is for you. I test rode the Aprilia Tuono while I was there yesterday. I confess that if I ever hate the ergo's of the R1 to the point I want to get rid of it then I'll be getting one of those. That bike is simply amazing. Fueling is spot on and the electronics are another flavor of greatness. I don't know which are better. The Ape's or the R1. Things like wheelie control on the Ape is unique as it allows the bike to wheelie and slowly brings it back to earth. Unlike the R1 which has it hover under acceleration. The Ape is a better road bike. Low end fueling for around town riding are great. The R1 is known for lousy low end throttle control. If you experience that then you are riding it too slow. Keep the revs up and it stops the herky-jerky. R1 is a track bike. I hear from reviews that the Duc is a better all around bike. The R1 needs a track to really shine. Things like not being able to change your rider mode without stopping SUCKS on the R1. I would gladly pay $$$ for someone to crack that ECU code. (44 Teeth YouTube Ducati 1299 Panigale v 215 Yamaha R1 - YouTube)

Hater.

First of all, I bought the bike like that, secondly, I don't have it anymore.

However, how are they junk?
    Buddy, let it go. Im sorry I dont like something you do. I only said it because you dont have an R1. You dont have Toce. Your screen name is GIXXER, your avatar is a GSXR.

My personal opinion is Toce are junk pipes. They do zero research and development, its only for looks and they look like cheap Hong Kong crap. They also happen to sound like crap to me.

But you know what, buy what you want, you can like or dislike what I have.

But seriously give it up, you are burning up about this over the corse of many days and a few threads. You even went into a for sale thread I had about an apartment for rent and tried to shit that all up.

So here is my last statement I will say nicely to you. Im sorry I offended you about a product you didnt create, manufacture, buy or even own at this point.

As an adult you will need to get over this. Its ok. My opinion and smuttys opinion shouldnt matter to you this much.

Quote Originally Posted by R1Lavin View Post
    Gorgeous R1 man! Can't find any better colors for it. Is the new R1 really that good? I would love to up grade for that extra power and electronics but then in the back of my head is the 1299. How do you like it and how are the ergos?
    we both know youre not buying a 1299

Quote Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
    R1Lavin - The new R1's secret sauce is the electronics. The ergo's are tough. It's a long reach from the seat to the low bars but the pegs location are actually pretty relaxed. If you have knees that don't like to fold up tight then this sport bike is for you. I test rode the Aprilia Tuono while I was there yesterday. I confess that if I ever hate the ergo's of the R1 to the point I want to get rid of it then I'll be getting one of those. That bike is simply amazing. Fueling is spot on and the electronics are another flavor of greatness. I don't know which are better. The Ape's or the R1. Things like wheelie control on the Ape is unique as it allows the bike to wheelie and slowly brings it back to earth. Unlike the R1 which has it hover under acceleration. The Ape is a better road bike. Low end fueling for around town riding are great. The R1 is known for lousy low end throttle control. If you experience that then you are riding it too slow. Keep the revs up and it stops the herky-jerky. R1 is a track bike. I hear from reviews that the Duc is a better all around bike. The R1 needs a track to really shine. Things like not being able to change your rider mode without stopping SUCKS on the R1. I would gladly pay $$$ for someone to crack that ECU code. (44 Teeth YouTube Ducati 1299 Panigale v 215 Yamaha R1 - YouTube)
    Yeah I've been a Yamaha guy and done research on the bike and wanted to get kind of local review of the new R1 only ever seen 1 out in the wild and it was by the Garden in Boston. I'm 6'3" 220lb so the size of the bike shouldn't really bother me I love my current r1. How it has a smooth power delivery and just stays planted and holds a line through a corner and never had any concerns about traction control or wheelie control because I've never had it. I've gone toe toe with an 1199 Panigale around a trun at about 115 and I was carrying more corner speed and his big was all out of sorts while I was planted. Was just trying to get a feel for how the bike actually behaves rides and feels. That's all.

As for Mac11wildcat. It's a possibility Antars buddies with the owner of riverside and he said he could get me a great deal on a used or leftover 1299

2009 YZF-R1 Raven with 2013 front conversion.(Current)
    2006 YZF-R6 50th Anniversary Edition

Ah, the old dealer "great deal." GMB tried to give me a "great deal" on a '15 ZX10. Took $500 off -______-

OP - R1 is gorgeous, congrats on the purchase!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post
    Buddy, let it go. Im sorry I dont like something you do. I only said it because you dont have an R1. You dont have Toce. Your screen name is GIXXER, your avatar is a GSXR.

My personal opinion is Toce are junk pipes. They do zero research and development, its only for looks and they look like cheap Hong Kong crap. They also happen to sound like crap to me.

But you know what, buy what you want, you can like or dislike what I have.

But seriously give it up, you are burning up about this over the corse of many days and a few threads. You even went into a for sale thread I had about an apartment for rent and tried to shit that all up.

So here is my last statement I will say nicely to you. Im sorry I offended you about a product you didnt create, manufacture, buy or even own at this point.

As an adult you will need to get over this. Its ok. My opinion and smuttys opinion shouldnt matter to you this much.
    You're an asshat.

Iglu, please don't delete this message.

Otherwise, I might have to stand on my soap box and have a mini meltdown over it.

...because I'm an adult.........

You're an asshat.

Iglu, please don't delete this message.

Otherwise, I might have to stand on my soap box and have a mini meltdown over it.

...because I'm an adult.........
    You do realize you're proving his point, don't you?

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    You do realize you're proving his point, don't you?

PhilB
    Yup. But he can be the kettle, I'll be the pot.

Lifer

meaning, don't give me shit about being an adult... on an internet forum... when you've had your shit stirring moments also.

I sure have! And maybe a little whining too. But it was direct.

Youre all butt hurt over an opinion I have on a product you dont have. This I dont understand.

Allow me to buy you a beer and shake your hand.

The 2000 996S is now sitting at Seacoast. I decided to mate the Scrambler to the 996S and out popped the Hypermotard 939 SP. Decision made today. I pick it up tomorrow. HYPED!

So long old friend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Time to say Goodbye to a 2000 Ducati 996S-track_day_2015_thompson_9-28-15-1473-zf  

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by ducatirdr; 04-28-16 at 06:42 PM.

....................... PinHead's Avatar

I can't decide whether to be happy for you or kick you in the shin the next time I see you. I've always wanted a 996, the most sexiest bike of all time. But, you will have fun on the new hooligan toy.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2003 Harley Softail Deuce

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast