Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First time highway riding...

First time highway riding...

Hey out there NESR members, I could some tips with my first time getting on the highway. I have only been riding for a little over 3 weeks now and I have riding the back roads of where I live (Boxborough, MA) down pretty good so far. I feel pretty good about my surroundings and being safe on the single lane roads, but I want to venture out onto the highways (495, Route 2 etc..), any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I don't know many riders in my area, so I met a few at Moto Mart in Acton last night, was a great turn out. I was just wondering where can I go to meet riders or just cruise without getting too lost?

Thanks again.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: First time highway riding...

Highway is actually safer once you are familiar with the bike. No one pulling left handers off side roads or illegal u turns. Just keep some space between you and the car in front of you and try to keep free space (no car in lane) on one side in case you need to change lanes to avoid something.

If you are new to highway riding then you can take it in phases, i.e. ride on Rt. 2 and 495. I would stay away from 93 until you are more comfortable riding on the highway because there are some crazy drivers on that highway...plus it is always under construction.

Thanks guys, good tips.

Do your best to stay out of people's blind spots, so they don't switch lanes into you.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Be extra vigilant when you are approaching the exit ramps leaving the highway, I have seen it countless times when a driver almost misses his exit and crosses 3 lanes to make that exit.Believe me he never will see you until it's way to late. I call them Banzai lane changes and you don't want to be there. I tend to head for the right hand side of the passing lane when approaching these. Have fun and be safe, The highway sucks by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by slammp View Post
    . No one pulling left handers off side roads or illegal u turns.

Fewer, yes, no one pulling left handers or illegal u's, not by a long shot, and when they do it, its even more of a surprise, I've even had LEOs cut in front of me to get to the median, fwiw, people have been known to drive in the wrong direction on the highway as well

do you always go to the next exit if you've missed your exit ?

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Stay clear of big trucks (18-wheelers, delivery trucks, box trucks, etc) if you can. Not only does the buffeting behind them suck ass, but the blind spots are huge. And having one of them blow a tire next to you can really ruin your day. Try to get past them (safely) as soon as possible.

Be observant to the pickup truck beds. The landscaping company's are notorious for just throwing stuff in the back without tying it down then once on the highway a few bumps that shit comes right out.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    do you always go to the next exit if you've missed your exit ?
    Is that a rhetorical question to point out that some people are too stupid to do that and instead will a) cut off anybody that they have to to make their exit or b) actually back up on the highway? Or is this level of blatant stupidity (not just going to the next exit and instead putting everybody at risk) more common than I'm aware? I've had to drive 30 miles out of my way before because of this kind of fuckup and I still wouldn't think about doing anything else except just taking the lump and going to the next exit.

'06 Triumph Sprint ST ABS
    '90 Yamaha XT350

ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar

Hey Bandit,

I'm right over in Bolton and I know the roads around the area well if you're looking for someone close to ride with.

what all these guys are saying is some real good advice.

I always try to have not have cars either to my left and/or right if possible. It gives you an escape route in case of trouble.

+1. I have never backed up or veered wildly to make an exit.

Thanks guys, really good advise. I may go out Sunday morning early if the weather is good. ScubaSteveRR, cool that would be a great help. I will PM you with my info and we can meet up sometime. Thanks!!

Lifer

I try to avoid staying in the center of the lane when behind a car. They can clear loose debris but you'll be in direct line with little time to react. I try to stay in line with a rear tire when it's safe to do so.

Also, try not to correct too abruptly when buffeted by a truck. Stay loose and relaxed.

Like everyone else says, assume you are invisible out there and that cagers aren't paying attention.

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

The turbeulence from other vehicles is going to make the bike feel squirrely. Stay loose and don't fight it. It's OK for the bike to move around.

The bike will wiggle around quite a bit if you ride on grooved pavement, too. Again, don't fight it and don't worry about. I can assure you that even though it feels like you are about to loose control, you won't.

Don't hang out next to any vehicles. Either pass, let them pass or stay staggered. You should always try to have an empty space beside you.

Follow the normal left lanes are only for passing like you wish everyone else would...

-be prepared for the occasional spray from windshield washers, I hate that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit12 View Post
    Thanks guys, really good advise. I may go out Sunday morning early if the weather is good. ScubaSteveRR, cool that would be a great help. I will PM you with my info and we can meet up sometime. Thanks!!
    If it's nice Sunday morning holla at me. perfect time to get on the highway and get use to the speed and the feel of going highway speeds without a shit ton of drivers on it.

"Budeep a bubba"

Try to start during some off-peak daylight hours. Weekends bring out all sorts of incompetent drivers.

Harley Davidson
    "Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless." -KP

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    The bike will wiggle around quite a bit if you ride on grooved pavement, too. Again, don't fight it and don't worry about. I can assure you that even though it feels like you are about to loose control, you won't.
    Really good point - if you can't avoid grooved pavement (I've been riding a long time and I still hate it) don't death grip the bars. The bike will want to travel a bit so let it. Stay steady on the throttle and ride it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonk! View Post
    Really good point - if you can't avoid grooved pavement (I've been riding a long time and I still hate it) don't death grip the bars. The bike will want to travel a bit so let it. Stay steady on the throttle and ride it out.
    I think that's an important thing to always keep in mind.

'06 Triumph Sprint ST ABS
    '90 Yamaha XT350

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonk! View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NobodySpecific View Post
    I think that's an important thing to always keep in mind.
    I encountered this last night going onto downtown Boston and it was a doozy and scary for a second because it totally took me by surprise. Overall you just have to stay calm.

on Mass Pike at 6:30 with traffic all around me, as you're entering the tunnel to get off exit 22 into downtown it's all ripped up. Just as the light from outside cuts out into the tunnel darkness there was a huge 8 inch high bump going over a piece of metal running perpendicular along the highway . I just kept my hands loose and let the handlebars do their thing while kepping it straight and let the bike do it's thing without trying unsettle the bike by braking or letting off the gas.

Quote Originally Posted by NobodySpecific View Post
    Is that a rhetorical question to point out that some people are too stupid to do that and instead will a) cut off anybody that they have to to make their exit or b) actually back up on the highway? Or is this level of blatant stupidity (not just going to the next exit and instead putting everybody at risk) more common than I'm aware? I've had to drive 30 miles out of my way before because of this kind of fuckup and I still wouldn't think about doing anything else except just taking the lump and going to the next exit.
    not common, but I've seen it happen more than once, one time, a MA state trooper cut from the far right lane across 2 lanes of traffic with no signal to turn into one of the median u-turn areas, I had to hit the brakes pretty heavy

I personally don't think that one way limited access traffic makes things much safer during commuting hours, there are still just as many if not more distracted drivers, shaving, drinking coffee, putting makeup on, reading the paper, and of course texters

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

When you get more comfortable and travel further, remember to rest early and often. Running out of gas sucks, having a sore ass sucks, being fatigued sucks and is dangerous.

Lifer

My advice: Avoid the temptation to tailgate like everyone else. Do everything humanly possible to avoid road-raging. Let every dipshit in their turdbasket 8000 'win' when merging, changing lanes, whatever. If someone starts to tailgate you, get the hell out of their way. Again, let them 'win' the day.

I also avoid contractor vans. Those guys really don't give a damn and will just as well run you over just to tell their buddies about it.

If your on anything even remotely sporty, get ready for every teenager in a civic to challenge you to a 'race'. Edit: I see you have a bandit, you are screwed on this front.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosco61 View Post
    The highway sucks by the way.
    This. Wholey crap this..
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualbong View Post
    If you are new to highway riding then you can take it in phases, i.e. ride on Rt. 2 and 495.
    The psychopaths drive on those roads too.

Quote Originally Posted by wesvailco View Post
    -be prepared for the occasional spray from windshield washers, I hate that.
    And bugs. Keep mouth closed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast