Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Time for a really simple motorcycle

Lifer

Time for a really simple motorcycle

Here's the new ride

Time for a really simple motorcycle-img_1190-jpg

11 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Time for a really simple motorcycle

Rocket gone, or has a new brother?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Banned

Love it. A classic design

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Now that's a motorcycle.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Lifer

Rocket gone but I bought it cheap and traded it for basically what I paid for it.

My wife hit the nail on the head when she commented that everything about the rocket just looked like hard work.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

By far the best looking of the retro classics. It baffles me to this day why they haven't sold more.

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
    By far the best looking of the retro classics. It baffles me to this day why they haven't sold more.
    Usual Honda issues, price, not-overwhelming specs. But like Hondas, everything works together to produce a motorcycle that is easy to ride at any pace.

I looked at both the Triumph Bonneville T120 and the BMW r-nine t. The BMW was sportier, but cramped and a not really retro. The Triumph, like the Rocket I had, was classic in all the right ways but mechanically rougher. Hondas have always felt finished and tighter to me.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    Usual Honda issues, price, not-overwhelming specs. But like Hondas, everything works together to produce a motorcycle that is easy to ride at any pace.

I looked at both the Triumph Bonneville T120 and the BMW r-nine t. The BMW was sportier, but cramped and a not really retro. The Triumph, like the Rocket I had, was classic in all the right ways but mechanically rougher. Hondas have always felt finished and tighter to me.
    Interesting you mentioned the T120. I rented one from Eagle Rider in Las Vegas for 24 hours. I enjoyed the ease of use, torque and relaxed style. It's good to know the Honda is all of that plus more.

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
    Interesting you mentioned the T120. I rented one from Eagle Rider in Las Vegas for 24 hours. I enjoyed the ease of use, torque and relaxed style. It's good to know the Honda is all of that plus more.
    those twins have a lot of appeal, but there’s something (for me) about a Honda i4 running like a Swiss watch that is just unique.

Lifer

Love it! Dying to know your riding impressions. Five or six speed?

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    Love it! Dying to know your riding impressions. Five or six speed?

Let me get some more miles on it and see how it feels after a little break in.

Lifer

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Saw one being rolled around GBM today when I stopped by to get my VFR800 (5th gen) inspected. Was definitely a handsome beast in the flesh. Your comment about the "sum of parts" outweighing the specs is really spot on for the VFR800 and so many Honda bikes. The VFR sure isn't "fast," but she's got a good chassis, excellent brakes (preferences for linked or de-linked aside, the OE setup works well), smooth engine and the gearbox is absolute perfection... which combined together just leave you with so little things to complain about... you just enjoy riding.

Congrats on the bike! I love my ZRX too much for anything else in that vein, but it sure is a bit of a different beast (at least after all the modding...). I'm gonna leave the Veefer close to stock, and think Honda's do very well when mostly left alone... a lesson I don't always follow... lol

CCS/LRRS #83

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by scottieducati View Post
    Saw one being rolled around GBM today when I stopped by to get my VFR800 (5th gen) inspected. Was definitely a handsome beast in the flesh. Your comment about the "sum of parts" outweighing the specs is really spot on for the VFR800 and so many Honda bikes. The VFR sure isn't "fast," but she's got a good chassis, excellent brakes (preferences for linked or de-linked aside, the OE setup works well), smooth engine and the gearbox is absolute perfection... which combined together just leave you with so little things to complain about... you just enjoy riding.

Congrats on the bike! I love my ZRX too much for anything else in that vein, but it sure is a bit of a different beast (at least after all the modding...). I'm gonna leave the Veefer close to stock, and think Honda's do very well when mostly left alone... a lesson I don't always follow... lol
    That was me, I saw you parking your vFR and stopped to admire it. That exact bike was my first sport bike and yours is in amazing condition

Lifer

Here is the compare with the 2017 model

Retro Roadster Shootout 2017 - Motorcycle.com

Humans have a basic shape and these accommodate them

Rode Vstrom 2000 miles no problem

Ride 2001 VFR for 1 hr and neck and arms hurts

Retros or for us OLD UJM are for normal human physiology

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

I love the update to this Honda. That paint is second to none. Good choice. I picked up a Retro Roadster at the end of last season. What is funny is it seems to be the bike I ride the most this season. I ended up with the BMW RnineT Urban G/S.
    Time for a really simple motorcycle-img_0713-jpg

Something about the simplicity of the bike appeals to me. The power is surprising in that it wheelies in 2nd gear like a supermoto. The brakes are great for a retro. The motor has character. Yet the ride is so raw. I love it. I find it to be a perfect back road bike and it can blast on the highway without complaint.

We may have to meet up for "The Distinguished Gentleman's Ride" YouTube

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by ducatirdr; 07-19-18 at 06:18 AM.
    Send cash... I need a track day

The R9T is a fast bike. I raced against Nate Kern on his 9T last weekend. He blew my doors off. I was on an SV. I think I saw him wheelie it in every gear. LOL

Paul_E_D

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    The R9T is a fast bike. I raced against Nate Kern on his 9T last weekend. He blew my doors off. I was on an SV. I think I saw him wheelie it in every gear. LOL
    In that compare I posted, the 9T is certainly the fastest and “raw-est”. I looked hard at them and it would be choice for a backroad ripper in the retro style.

Nice to see the CB1100 getting some love. I had a 2014 black motor, no ABS but 6 speed, and the “Swiss watch” description is right on. Just ultimately too heavy for my purposes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

good platform for racing

Last edited by nt650hawk; 07-19-18 at 08:42 AM.
    Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

That was me, I saw you parking your vFR and stopped to admire it. That exact bike was my first sport bike and yours is in amazing condition
    Well damn man, wish we'd made the connection in person!! Thank you about my VFR, I've often trolled for 5th gens especially as the prices have come down a bit... found this one with under 11k miles all stock and couldn't say no! After a chain and head-bearings, she feels like a brand new bike!

CCS/LRRS #83

those twins have a lot of appeal, but there’s something (for me) about a Honda i4 running like a Swiss watch that is just unique.

My dad bought a Bonneville T120 last fall and I rode it when I was visiting for Thanksgiving. Really nice bike. They took just about everything that was right about the earlier air-cooled Bonneville and improved on it -- good handling, character, very nice power, great looks. Even the stock suspension is surprisingly decent. The one mistake I think they made was moving from the 360-degree crank Triumph has traditionally used to a 270-degree crank. This delivers a lopier engine feel, more like a V-Twin, and a more irregular exhaust note, presumably to appeal to the V-Twin crowd -- but for long-time Britbike enthusiasts like me, it just doesn't feel or sound like a Bonneville anymore. Terrific bike to be sure, and I'd love to own one, but it would be that little bit better if they'd kept the 360 crank.

That said, I've also never particularly cared for I-4 motors, so the Triumph really appeals to me more than the Honda.

It's nice that the market for "retro" bikes (or what I like to call motorcycle-flavored motorcycles) is growing to the point that it's being addressed by multiple manufacturers. So we've got the Bonneville, the CB, the Ducati Scrambler series, the various Royal Enfields (including an upcoming twin), the BMW R NineT series, and now even Kawasaki is coming out with one, the Z900RS (actually one of the best-looking of the lot, IMO).

I think there's a lot to be said for keeping things simple. My Bonneville (one of the earlier air-cooled ones) is reliable, basic, easy to maintain (valve check takes like half an hour), looks great, and is lots of fun to ride. It has a way of distilling riding down into a very elemental experience, just me, a motor, and the wind. It feels kind of liberating, and completely strips away all the bullshit.

--mark

Last edited by markbvt; 07-27-18 at 08:22 AM.
    '20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

That red is the same on that the vfr1200s were painted it. that color was fucking gorgeous.

Lifer

How are you liking it?

Your park avenue leads to..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast