Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

View Poll Results: What is the best time to start a group ride?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • 7-9am

28 59.57%
  • 9am-11am

16 34.04%
  • 11am-1pm

2 4.26%
  • 1pm-3pm

1 2.13%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Good Time To Start Group Rides....

The only way to make for a good day of riding is to start early!!!!

So, MissTree, get your lazy ass out of bed if you want to be a part of the good times.........KKKKKKKKKKKAAAAAAAAAAAAAKKKKKK!!!!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    LRRS#167

Littering and........

As much as I hate getting up early , the best riding time is usually first thing in the morning, when the traffic is pretty minimal. There are few things as irritating as having to follow a line of cars through some nice twisties.

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

well how about this then......

If your gonna go for a ride some particular weekend dontcha think you could take one week out of 52 off from going out late on a Saturday night. I mean really, is it that important to go out late?

I would think the thought of having an awesome ride on the next day would more than make up for;

spending too much money to get into an establishment

to again spend too much money for refreshments

refreshments which though they may have a pleasurable effect on you that evening will more than likely make you feel not so good the next morning, preventing enjoyment of said ride

to have to possibly attempt to get home from said establishment risking the possibility of being pulled over for DUI (if you drink and drive) or even if you have a DD/Taxi take you home playing FROGGER with the idiots out there drinking and driving because they think, Oh I have only had a couple I can drive fine.

I don't know about you but, staying in or local on a Saturday night so that I can get a decent nights rest and enjoy a great day of riding with a good group of people sounds a heck of alot better than the scenario above. Especially if it winds up only being a couple of Saturday nights a year. I mean there are not group rides every single weekend anyhow.

Ahhhh what do I know!

:Internet disclaimer:
    (For those who may read more into this post than was originally intended)
    This is just my humorous outlook on the whole going out drinking late every Saturday night. In no way am I trying to be an asshole and tell you how to live your life. Just figured someone out there would see the same humor I see in the scenario above.
    :End Internet Disclaimer:

Either way I am sure there will be a few more good rides this summer with varying start times for the sleep challenged amongst us.

L8R

Joel

I Dance With Will

Sunday because its less traffic right? Saturday is still a work day for some.

"fuckit!"

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Then what the heck do you do on Saturday nights that would make it soooooo hard to get out of bed on Sunday morning for a ride?

Wait, having met you a couple of times maybe I really don't want to know what you are doing on a Saturday that makes it hard for you to get up the next day if it doesn't involve drinking.

Oh well, as the disclaimer said just a humorous look at how some people treat the weekends.

L8R

Joel

My vote was for 7-9 but we usually try to meet up at 6:30 at the donut shop on Sunday mornings. Its what you do when it takes an hour or so to get to the really good stuff.

Hungry like a wolf... MissTwisties's Avatar

tls25rs....you forgot to mention on top of all those reasons, the fact that MS will most likely go home alone and not even get laid....

www.elementsofbalancemt.com
    www.facebook.com/misstwisties

"If you don't stand for something you fall for everything."
    "Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."

...and off come the gloves...

I voted 9-11.
    I like to start around 10 'cause that's when the Formula One race should be over by!
    Plus, I don't have to ride an hour and a half to get to the good stuff since I live there already!

Chris J.
    "You're going the wrong way!!!"
    "How does he know where we're going?"
    03 Aprilia Tuono, 06 Yamaha R6, 16 Yamaha XSR900, 13 VW Touareg

I used to get up for group rides at 5:30 am and meet people out in western Mass by 8 am and do a full days of riding. I have not found many people up for those rides this year... So most of my rides this year have been between 8:30 and 10 in local meet spots. Not quite early enough to get all the riding I used to like to do..

Were the heck are all the old hard core riders???

Rides: 13 Hyperstada, 09 SFV650, 97 CBR 900RR
    www.tailofthedragon.com
    RIP A.B. RIP BEET, I Ride in Leathers because I would rather sweat than Bleed...

I used to get up for group rides at 5:30 am and meet people out in western Mass by 8 am and do a full days of riding. I have not found many people up for those rides this year... So most of my rides this year have been between 8:30 and 10 in local meet spots. Not quite early enough to get all the riding I used to like to do..
    I'm game. I get up at 5:30am everyday, although, it's a little chilly nowadays.. winter..

what are you talking about? it's like, 85 and sunny.

It's been a shitty year for street riding for me, just to many things going on But the few good rides i went on this year had nice early starts. The difference in traffic from 8am to 11am is huge!!!
    I remember several times (almost every nice weekend) in the past few years getting up at 5:30am and being on the road by 6am, those are by far some of the most enjoyable rides. The nice weather round here doesn't last long, aint no way i'd waist half a Saturday or Sunday sleeping
    I voted for the earliest time up there but you should have added a 6-7am start time

Yamaha

You can sleep while you're dead. I find getting up for an early ride is a good excuse to make the most of my non-work days. If you need to go out and party thats fine, just don't crab about it and try to push everyone elses ride time back.

"You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrists office"

Just Registered

I guarantee you Im the latest fuq here when it comes to going on any ride, but its not because I can't figure out WHY the earliest time is better, thats for shure

With that in mind, my answers:

Speeding to and from church is just not morally correct in the eyes of many. However taking on a sportbike on the way to sunday breakfast most certainly is (but after church).
    Old people like Sundays because they can get out without all that "hussle and bustle" of the MTWFS shoppers, not to mention they have 6 freaking days to prepare the most methodically "safest" route and trip time possible. Specifically, this means those 25mph roads that are good on a sportbike.
    Did I mention old people like church and breakfast too? Ok then, add to that the fact that the "real bargain hunters" out west know that day 2 of a tag sale is going to be more productive saleswise then day 1 because who wants to put that shit away right? Not only is it the psedo "antique" searching BMW lugging crowd of eastern Ma. but suprise attack again - old people love haggling for $.30 crap and spending 4 hours in drive time (over 7 miles) to get it!

Plus everyone loves the magical scenery and the light E-W traffic on major routes in the foliage seasons - but speeding by it is a carnal sin.

Foliage season, to clarify - comes long after graduation party hangover season immediately after "my leathers are an f'ing oven" season, right before that time of year when battery tenders go on backstock and your friend with the roomy garage notices a consistent flow of lagertude (or aletude) from all sorts of mc owning friends.

My 2 vices, not necessarily in order:
    www.gpsdiscussion.com
    motorcycleaddicts.org

Just Registered

p.s. Mystery - this is also the real reason people encourage their elder relatives to move to Fla. because the roads are boring unless you remove the soft limiter and its bound to rain at sleast twice as much as normal if it looks like a good day for a group ride.

www.gpsdiscussion.com
    motorcycleaddicts.org

I enjoy riding so much it is my leasurely activity for my weekends, and the earlier I get up the further I can go and journey to new twisties. Most of the really good roads are far away and take 1/3 of the day to get too. I make it a point to adventure on back routes to get to the good roads for a completely fun day! That is my feeling of fun anyhow, and this is my main hobby during the warmer months, so I make many sacrifices in order to enjoy it. Even if I do go out on a Friday or Saturday night doing what ever I will still drag my ass out of bed to ride early. To each his own....

I have my priorities, as everyone else has their own... We just like giving you a hard time M.S.Q. but you have missed many great rides! What a shame, oh and not to mention showing up late to two track days... Your lucky they let you out, and didn't send you packing without a refund... Very Lucky!

www.tailofthedragon.com
    RIP A.B. RIP BEET, I Ride in Leathers because I would rather sweat than Bleed...

Just Registered

Originally posted by Mystery Squid
    We may be tied on this one... My IDEAL ride start time in the summer is like 1 or 2 pm...
    ...but the real question is, do you have a spare headlight bulb in your tankbag out of necessity

www.gpsdiscussion.com
    motorcycleaddicts.org

Yes and as of now 54% say 7-9. MORE THAN HALF.... & how man for your ride start times at noon????

www.tailofthedragon.com

Just Registered

Originally posted by Half Squid
    Yes and as of now 54% say 7-9. MORE THAN HALF.... & how man for your ride start times at noon????

Wasn't there one day we met up off 495 before 7???

Originally posted by Mystery Squid
    Yeah, but on a SUNDAY???? I can sorta see an early Saturday morning ride, but SUNDAY??? Saturday night is what I like to consider my "out" night (and I'm sure a ton of other people do too), and I don't usually go to bed until at LEAST 1am.

Point is, I want to be able to enjoy a ride, fully rested, cheery, not pissed off and tired... If anything, it's safer too...
    Saturday is the worst day of the week for riding, stastisticly, it is the heaviest traffic day, people havethe day off and take care of errands all day.. Sunday is next, but the trafficis lighter and later, early departure times work best.

the best time for riding is weekdays between commute times, everybody is at work, those people who are travelling are more likely on primary roadsrather than back roads

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Hungry like a wolf... MissTwisties's Avatar

Starting the ride early is awsome. Smelling the fresh morning air going at the meeting spot, maybe have a warm drink (hot chocolate) before taking off with the others...less traffic too. Sometimes it feels good to feel the road is almost all yours. Early mornings are just more peacefull to ride, I love that.

www.elementsofbalancemt.com
    www.facebook.com/misstwisties

"If you don't stand for something you fall for everything."
    "Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."

Hey Joe
    it doesn't matter what time any ride starts at as you ain't getting your sorry ass out of bed before noon anyway ya lazy sod.
    2 track days this year for joe and both times ya moseyed in around 10ish

eat me

Originally posted by Half Squid
    Were the heck are all the old hard core riders???

Right here son.............you need some schooling this weekend??

The Hawk has a nice toyt engine in her now. I need to open that biatch up and see what she's got.

Let's ride Sunday!!!

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

one saterday this summer i had to meet firenutzz at 6 in the morning. i was worried about being tired. well when i got on the bike and hit the back roads and reliezed i had the road pretty much to my self. the temp was perfect (it would be way to humid later) i got to are meeting spot about 15mins early. i just ripped it up. it was perfect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast