Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Need tips on MA speeding laws

Re: Need tips on MA speeding laws

Seen this movie a few times before in the court room - the defendant challenged the Police officer's (cap)ability to asses speed. Questions the officer with a variety of points; when radar was last calibrated, training on estimated speed, on and on... 9/10 times the judge will then say something like, "Police officers, day in and day out are on the roads and can quite accurately estimate speed". I am going to believe the officer over you. Guilty".

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by xsiliconkid; 07-10-14 at 01:26 AM.
    Graham
    "If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee — that will do them in"

Banned

If I had known then what I know now, last time I went to court I would have walked in and said to the MSP cunt "you're a liar and I hope somebody shoots you in the face one day. Your honor, where do I pay?"

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Degsy, I had no idea you didn't like the po-po... You should be more open about your feelings. Need tips on MA speeding laws

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Banned

Certain cops. I have nothing but respect for many many cops and forces.

Mass state police troopers are just a waste of space. We have no need for them except to rob people by the side of the highway.

Have we figured out what OP's mystery car is yet?

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    my vote is Miata

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

Yugo?

Graham
    "If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee — that will do them in"

Honda Civic with a fart can and an unpainted spoiler???

Quote Originally Posted by Drewski View Post
    Honda Civic with a fart can and an unpainted spoiler???
    Don't forget the one primer door too!

LRRS AM#721 / RSP Racing / MTAG Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear
    2003 Honda CBR600RR / 2009 Kawasaki ER6N / 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300

Quote Originally Posted by mzdagrl View Post
    my vote is Miata
    I was thinking the same.

Quote Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
    Recently, I was pulled over on 93 South by a statie. Ticket says "80 on a 55 'estimated'" No radar, no laser, just 'estimated' Not that it is a valid defense, but there were 2-3 cars ahead of me in my lane when I got pulled over, all going faster, including some green Subaru station wagon. I feel like I got pulled over because I was driving a sporty car and stood out.

Anyway, its been 10 years since my last speeding ticket and I haven't had to fight one in MA (yes, going to trial tomorrow). Any loop holes, tips or best practices? My license plate is misspelled on the ticket, it also says "estimated". In the olden days in other states, you could go in there and ask for proof that the officer's radar gun or speedo was recently calibrated. I am not sure if those tricks have all been shut down and what goes in MA.

Can anyone share any tips please? Need to be in court tomorrow, anything you can throw my way today would be very helpful. Thanks a lot.

Many moons ago I got a speeding ticket for 10 over and the dopey cop must have had dyslexia cause he wrote the plate perfectly backwards on the ticket. Never paid it. Never mailed it in to fight it. Scott free.

Too many bikes to list
    http://oneguytwowheels.blogspot.com/
    Mosdt likely drunkd

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Certain cops. I have nothing but respect for many many cops and forces.

Mass state police troopers are just a waste of space. We have no need for them except to rob people by the side of the highway.
    Don't forget retire early on disability.

Oh, my guess is Scion XC

Last edited by Falko; 07-10-14 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mzdagrl View Post
    my vote is Miata
    Red Miata, turbo no less, with a vanity plate. No tickets yet! WOOOOOOOOO

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Wirelessly posted

Ya Im only here for the mystery car.

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

i vote for civic

I'm voting penis until we hear otherwise

Not to thread jack but does anyone have experience fighting a ticket that was circled pm given in the am? It was a minor operation violation if that helps.

As long as they got your tire size correct, you're screwed.

Banned

Hate to break it to you but I showed up in court for a ticket on the Cape about 10 years ago and there wasn't even a record of me getting a ticket and I was found responsible. Cop didn't have me down as getting a ticket. Judge said "finding in the mail" which means guilty but I don't have the balls to tell you right now.

I've had the same experience in court on a speeding ticket. They are just trying to make money. Rather than pay the $50 extra I paid the $100 ticket and didn't notice any real increase in premiums. In hind sight I really should have said I was going exactly the speed limit, no shadow of a doubt. Instead of trying to be honestish and say "I don't know, but there's no way I was going 85mph".

Lifer

Last edited by Gixxer; 07-10-14 at 06:19 PM.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    should have said 55. he was offering you both an easy out. when you say 'i don't know" its tough for him to find not responsible.
    reasonable and prudent is the right answer here.
    ive only fought 1 ticket in MA. i lost. to be fair he had me dead to rights. the first appearance is a formality. the cop that is there only knows whats written in the report of the ticketing officer. hes just a rep for the police to state the facts that are written on the ticket and in the report. he has no answers.
    you showed your hand a bit by asking too many questions, questions that they may be prepared for when you appear next time.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    I love this thread. Debate all you want on strategy. It's traffic court and the reality is that it is a crap shoot. There is no real right, wrong or burden of proof in reality.

I've had cops perjure themselves on the stand and I've had tied them all up in their testimony and proved that what they claimed was inconsistent and mathematically impossible. Didn't matter. GUILTY!

I've also been popped for something I actually did, made up some B.S. story and the judge threw everything out.

Moral of all this? Just fight it. You might win, you might not. Everything else doesn't really matter in traffic court. Biggest dog and pony show (errr money grab) out there.
    i can agree with this to a point. i got a nice 6 pack ticket in AZ. speeding, unsafe lane change, no license (on me), no reg (on me), wheelie, illegible plate. i was totally guilty but the cop never pulled me over. he came back later and started writing tickets. went to court and the prosecutor had asked for a continuance because the cop had to go to a funeral. he asked what happened. told him i didnt know, i was at work and i think he mistook my bike for another one. the prosecutor said "maybe he got your plate number" thinking quickly i said "he wrote me for an illegible plate"..."good point....dismissed" never even made it to the judge.

on the other hand myself and 2 friends got bagged on one of the few twisty roads in phoenix. i knew the cop was behind us in traffic. i was last in the group. the beginning of the road was straight for about 1/4 mile before the first turn. ilooked back one more time before i twisted it. he wasnt there. speed limit on the road is 35. we got to the other end of the 4 mile road and sat at the light. the light had turned red as we rolled up. lights in phoenix are generally on a 45 sec loop. just as the light turned green the cop pulled up and lit us up. in court he claimed he was right on us up to 90 but he had to back off because he was over driving the car. i made valid points when i was up there that not only was that not true but it was impossible for a cruiser that takes 23 seconds to go from 0-60 could keep up with a bike that gets to 60 in 2 seconds. it was literally physically impossible for a chevy caprice to even stay within eyesight of 3 accelerating motorcycles on a twisty road, which is what he claimed, even if we were only doing 60. he also stated that he heard us accelerate away from him. i asked what kind of noises did he hear and described angry bees. i pointed out that of the 3 of us only 1 was on on a 4 cyl bike that makes that sound and that bike had an OEM exhaust and therefore made little to no noise and that only 2 bikes that had loud exhaust was mine and another and they were both v twins and sound like harleys. i even made a plausible reasonable doubt claim that isnt it possible that they were following 3 similar bikes and after they went out of view when the cop slowed they passed us and we were just in the wrong place at the wrong time and since they caught up to us first they just mistook us for the speeders......GUILTY....all of us. were we speeding? yup. was it 90? fuck no. more likely 60-65. maybe less as i didnt have a very good headlight at the time. i had a great argument, the only thing i was missing was charts and video to prove that the cop was lying through his teeth and never even saw us speeding and just assumed that we were.
    to add insult the night this happened we were on our way home...doing 65 in a 55 on the highway...and got pulled over by 6...yes 6 AZHP and a helicopter because they were responding to a report that there were bikes doing wheelies on the highway. wasnt us. the cops that wrote us up earlier even showed up. spotlights on us from the helicopter, blocking traffic...it was a total circus.

Last edited by SVRACER01; 07-10-14 at 09:45 PM.
    When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Need tips on MA speeding laws-ticket-jpg

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I have definitely got the impression that MA police can see every detail of my NH license history.
    I had my magistrate hearing today for a speeding ticket in Haverhill and when the review of my record came up, they only had the expired inspection sticker back in '98 on my record. There was nothing about the speeding ticket back in 2012 in FL.

I kept to my story that I was travelling at or near the posted speed limit, not doing 47 in a 30, until the magistrate said "I'm really trying to help you out here". I took the hint and admitted that I might have been a little north of the speed limit but certainly not doing 47mph. She lectured me about how it only takes a few seconds of not paying attention to get to that speed and then tossed the ticket.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast