Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Tire dilemma...

Littering and........

Tire dilemma...

So, I just bought a DRZ400 Super Motard, with the intention if using it for occasional off-road stuff, as well as track days and commuting.

From putting 400 miles on it on the street, I think we have the track day and commuting covered. But, I just did my first off-road trail ride. If I were a more experienced dirt rider, I wouldn't worry about it; the bike definitely pitches about and gets shitty traction, but I kept up with an experienced rider with a brand new KTM. It was just a little bit terrifying, as everytime I went through a mud puddle at speed, the bike would try to dive out from under me.

I'm considering two options; the first is to get a whole set of dirt wheels, tires, hubs, sprocket, and front rotor. This is going to cost me an arm and a leg, and frankly, I could probably buy a decent older dirt bike for less.

Option two is to find an ideal set of tires. I am kicking around the idea of getting some sort of dual-sport tire (Pirelli Azaros maybe?). But, I dont want to have to change them around every time I want to do a track day.

Anybody know of a good dual sport tire that will work at a track day? Any other ideas?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Tire dilemma...

I turn the mic over to RANDY!

He's all about the Dual Sportage!

Rides: 13 Hyperstada, 09 SFV650, 97 CBR 900RR
    www.tailofthedragon.com
    RIP A.B. RIP BEET, I Ride in Leathers because I would rather sweat than Bleed...

Tire dilemma...

I would get a second set of wheels. You'll pay the price up front but they will pay for themselves in saved hassles and time... and most importantly having the confidence in a tire suited for the type of riding
    You'll want a full on knobby for New England trails and you'll want some sticky sport hoop for the street/track stuff

Yamaha

Tire dilemma...

Pirelli MT60Rs or Avon Extreme Rains would give you decent off road traction and would be great for a rainy track day, but on dry pavement they get hot & greasey fast

Avon distanzias are decent street tires, but I wasn't impressed with their dirt performance

I haven't tried the Pirelli scorpoin Sync's yet

Azaro's are the Avon regular street tire

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON