Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Tire pressure

Tire pressure

Not sure if this is a bike related, tire related or wheel related issue. Probably all three.

I'm running new tubless wheels/tires on the Supermoto, Marchesinis with Pilot powers 150 rear.

Stock settings from the spoked wheels were 29 rear, 25 front. Im wondering what a good starting point is for street and track.

Manny

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

Tire pressure

Not on a SM, but I've found the Powers to be much more responsive with higher psi than I'd typically run. Not sure why, unless there's flex going on with the sidewalls?

A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill

Tire pressure

your bike should have recommendations
    start with those. But then I'd guess that your bike was designed with
    hybrid knobbies in mind, yes ? So factory recommndations go out
    the window when you went to full street tires on your dirt bike.

On my 600RR, Honda recommends really high pressures like
    40 rear 36 front or something.

I run 36/36 for street commuting and its fine.
    At Louden I lower that to 30-32.
    I agree with Chris though, that despite the fact that you lose
    some contact patch area, higher pressures give you more
    feedback and postive feel.

Tire pressure

Recommended setting should serve you pretty well on the street. At least they'll give you a good starting point for minor tweaking.

For the track: Last year (with reg Pilot Powers) I ran 22f and 24/25R and they worked great. That's where I started this year, but I found the 2CT in the front liked it closer to 24. It may have had to do with the tire not being completely scrubbed in yet, but 24 front and rear served me well for the races last weekend. The next trackday I get I'm going to play a little and may end up going back to 22 F (at least for the really hot days).

Tire pressure

Why so low with the psi? Is that the limit for lowering before no noticeable increase in traction is gained from the increased contact patch, or is it a matter of using the tire's compliance for bump absorption? What temp is the tire rising to with those settings? What kind of % increase in pressure is there after the tire's warmed up?

A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill

Tire pressure

Remember we're talking supermoto...those pressures would be way too low for a regular sport bike.

I started with those settings at the recommendation of a few over on ThumperTalk and they worked well. Gave me good grip and alowed me to develop my own "feel" of what the bike was doing as I improved my riding (talking specifcally track). Also gave good even wear. This year I didn't like the way the front felt during my first session with it at 22 so I upped it and it worked well so I left it and continued with it for the weekend. Again...good even wear and good feel of what the bike was doing under me.

I don't have a temp guage to read them when they're hot after a session. I'll get a few pounds increase when they're hot and as long as they stay steady (i.e. not losing air) I won't generally change it during a trackday, unless I'm specifically trying to dial it in. For the races, there's enough time to get a good cold reading during the day, so I don't play with them hot.

Not so scientific, just what seems to have worked for me