Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Tire question..

Lifer

Tire question..

So how long would you hold onto a set of unmounted tires for?

I had ordered new Pirelli Diablo Corsa 3 tires online a while ago.

The front took forever to come in, and so I never had the back mounted as I was waiting to get them both done at the same time.

Yesterday coming home from VT the rear gave up the ghost, I had to get a hotel room and get a new rear tire this morning to get home.

So now I have an old Diablo Corsa on the front which has a little bit (not much) of life left, a Dunlop Qualifier on the back with ~100 miles on it, and a pair of new Corsa 3s sitting in my garage.

I'm tempted to go get the matching Dunlop front and either a) wait to use the Corsas or b) Sell the Corsas since they are totally unused. I could take the rear Dunlop off and sell that, but now it has some use so I figure I wouldn't get much $$ for it.

So how long is it safe for me to keep the Corsas for? If not someone here is going to get a great deal on them, because I got a great deal on them. I figure around 6000 miles before I'd get to put them on, and I'm not going to get much riding in this winter obviously.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Tire question..

In a plastic bag, in cool dry place and they should last years. I have heard that you should store them lying on their side so they dont get out of round.
    Or hang them by the wire bead.

Lifer

Tire question..

Yah I guess I will stick them in bags and put them in the basement for next summer.

The dealer I was at this morning (Green River Honda in Greenfield, MA) said they don't like to keep them long. I got their last 180 tire for the year, they don't stock them over the winter. They were recommending selling the extra tires.

But seeing as people who don't ride much use the same set of tire for 3-4 years sometimes I can't see it really being a problem to keep them for 9 months or something.

That dealer was pretty cool actually. They saved my butt and got me back on the road real fast, and one of the salesguys gave me the contact info for an independent Honda mechanic he said would cut me a big deal on a valve adjustment.

Tire question..

if you are nervous and wanna sell the tires i would be interested seens how i was holding out till next year for a new set and my front is pretty shagged, and now the back is getting worse cause i HAD to even them out so shoot me a pm if you wanna talk deeling

~ Life passes most people by while they're busy making grand plans for it.~

Tire question..

I wouldn't worry for 1 year or even 2

Get the qualifier front... be happy

You don't change tires in the spring like oil so why think they are crapped just from sitting.

Ozone and sun is the rubber killer so bag em in a cool dark place

Glen Beck is John the Baptist

Lifer

Tire question..

Fuck! ? The rear Qualifier I had put on yesterday was flat this morning!

I dropped the wheel/tire off at GBM on the way to work. There is no nail or anything in the tire so I'm hoping it was just a sloppy mounting job, it needs a new valve core, etc... (they didn't replace it yesterday)

Lifer

Tire question..

If you wrap them in plastic it's better to use something that doesn't transmit light. The tires will last for a while without worries, they have a mold release coating and the wrap on top will keep the rubber from deteriorating at all. Wrap them and stack them in the basement or the back of the garage. I'd recommend not hanging them by the bead, put them on any side (standing or flat) and don't stack anything on top of them.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Lifer

Tire question..

Oh Faaak!

Moot point, those Diablo Corsas are going on the bike tomorrow.

My Dunlop rear I bought yesterday is trash. Unrepairable puncture I just couldn't see this morning.

Motherfucker! Oh well. I made it through almost 6 years of riding before I had my first puncture. Hopefully it will be another 6 years before this happens again.