Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Any tires that last as long or longer and cost the same or less than Pilot Road 2s

Re: Any tires that last as long or longer and cost the same or less than Pilot Road 2

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Randy's suggestion was at the hint of slight wear. What you have pictured, I'd call extreme.
    I've had left side bias that extreme with Pirelli MTR69-Corsas on my SV650

that was back in my "leaning" phase of life, always trying to scrape hardware for the hell of it, now I shift my weight more and stay more upright, it helps that I have decent suspension now as well

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Re: Any tires that last as long or longer and cost the same or less than Pilot Road 2

Well there you have Randy's take...
    That ping could've been a belt in the carcass snapping. Any funny bulges on the inside bubba?

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Lifer

Negative. None.

FWIW, I still haven't disposed of the original trailwings, it's still on the shelf next to the Road3. That rear shows similar-ish wear.

It's either me or the bike, you be the judge.

Last edited by nhbubba; 05-19-13 at 08:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Me either. Last time I looked, they were wearing okay and still had some meat. But now I can't remember when that was.. was it when I dusted her off for the season? Can't remember. Then last week I looked at them before ordering tires and they were like this.
    Yeah, that was Mike's (Not Sure) ride, like a month ago.

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Lifer

The more I think/read about this, the more I think my tire is not that ridiculous.

I am riding way harder than I ever have. Way harder. Almost to the point of "geezus guy, better slow down before you get arrested or killed" harder.
    Sounds like someone needs more than a trackday.
    http://www.socalrpm.com/SoCal_Web/Ne...evolution.html

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Me either. Last time I looked, they were wearing okay and still had some meat. But now I can't remember when that was.. was it when I dusted her off for the season? Can't remember. Then last week I looked at them before ordering tires and they were like this.

BTW, front tire is wearing nicely and evenly.

Dude, it's a V-Strom 650. It doesn't spin tires up. Although by "riding hard", I meant across the board. Accelerating, cornering, overall speed.

Set up? What's to setup? I have the sag rouged in and this shock was hypothetically built for me, hypothetically. I am new to 'clickers' and so I have them in the center mark for now.

How would a poorly setup shock effect wear on one side but not the other?

The only thing I can think of at this point is that I ran over something. A couple weeks ago I wasn't paying attention and clipped something in the road pretty hard. Tire made a good 'ping' noise. I inspected it for holes or gashes, found nothing and rode on. Related?

Overall I think I am just going to stop worrying about it and get out there and see if I can't ride the piss out of the new tire.
    Collin you have z fully adjustable rear shock that I know you paid a decent penny for. Go have peter Kates set it up for you. Just sticking it in the middle doesn't do a thing for you. As for spinning it up. That's z relative term. But if you are hammering the throttle leaned over on an incorrect suspension set up, you could be loosing enough traction to cause increased wear but not enough to wipe out. I have no idea how you ride though so it was just a suggestion. And it would have to be combined with only taking left turns hard anyways. My money would much more be on something broke when you hit whatever it was.

And BTW. A shock being setup foe you just means it has the right spring for your weight. The cliclwers are to tune the damping for that Specific spring that is on there. And your riding style. In other words 2 different people could have the same exact shock with different springs on them. Both setup correctly for those springs with completely different numbers. Ie in the middle of the settings doesn't actually relate to "middle of the road".

Hope that made sense.

Last edited by DaveZX6r; 05-20-13 at 11:41 AM.
    "You don’t need to tell me the horror story about your uncle’s buddy who wiped out his chopper while drag racing at some hooligan rally. That just makes me wish I were talking to your uncle’s buddy instead of you. He sounds pretty cool."

Originally Posted by JalopySiR
    BWAHAHAHAHAHA!! This time I was laughing at you. Sorry.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by DaveZX6r View Post
    Collin
    Only one 'l'; Colin.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveZX6r View Post
    Go have peter Kates set it up for you. ... A shock being setup foe you just means it has the right spring for your weight.
    I paid someone for a shock sprung and valved for my fat ass. At least that's what they said they were doing. Yes, I fully intend to hand PK some cash and see if he can help me tune it further. I have not even been able to dial in the preload on this thing yet. This was described as "the clicker treatment" before. This will probably happen tomorrow when I am at NHMS.

I believe I do not have quite enough rebound in the front. But that can't be helped as I will need to swap fluid. But that's another subject.

But none of that makes any sense in relation to this tire wear.

Really, the more I read about this, the more I think my tire wear was perfectly reasonable and there is not (significantly) wrong with either the rider or motorcycle. I do (really, I do) appreciate you guys looking out for me. Often I am my own worst enemy. No doubt about that. But I think the bike is okay.

Set up? What's to setup? I have the sag rouged in and this shock was hypothetically built for me, hypothetically. I am new to 'clickers' and so I have them in the center mark for now.
    don't feel lonely, I have an expensive shock that is still set on the center marks

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Lifer

Has anyone mentioned that Pilot road 2's cost the same and last as long as pilot road 2's?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
    Has anyone mentioned that Pilot road 2's cost the same and last as long as pilot road 2's?
    Yes, that was covered, but I bought Pilot Road 2s despite this fact.

Lifer

NHBubba approved.

My ass can't tell the difference between the Road 2 and Road 3 at this point. Both stick good.

NHBubba approved.
    My ass can't tell the difference between the Road 2 and Road 3 at this point. Both stick good.
    Yeah bubby! It should be scuffed in now.

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

+1 for the Pirelli Angel. I can't really speak for the GT, buy my last set of ST's took about 8-9k to flatten out. I loved them so much I replaced them with the same thing. A buddy at work has the GT, I'll have to monitor his mileage on them to see if they stack up.

I believe they're also cheaper than most other ST tires.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    +1 for the Pirelli Angel. I can't really speak for the GT, buy my last set of ST's took about 8-9k to flatten out. I loved them so much I replaced them with the same thing. A buddy at work has the GT, I'll have to monitor his mileage on them to see if they stack up.

I believe they're also cheaper than most other ST tires.
    How do they compare mileage-wise to PR2s?

I wish this damn rain would let up so I could finish off my 016s and get the 023s mounted.

"You don’t need to tell me the horror story about your uncle’s buddy who wiped out his chopper while drag racing at some hooligan rally. That just makes me wish I were talking to your uncle’s buddy instead of you. He sounds pretty cool."

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    How do they compare mileage-wise to PR2s?
    Never owned a set of PR2's myself, but from everything I've heard/read they can handle more miles. That's why I purchased them in the first place.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

I got cooking on a set of pr3's yesterday. Once I got the pressures dropped when hot (I aired them down, they went way high under track conditions, so I aired them down again) I was able to keep a pretty respectable pace, with no crazy issues. Now I just gotta figure out the bike.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I finally got my 023s mounted. I love em so far. Turn in definitely isn't as fast as others I've had, but they just plant with tons of feedback. Really like them so far. And they were slot less that PRS.

I run 023GT on the yamahippo. Have about 6k on them now and still looking good and stick well.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123