Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Title/odometer mileage discrepancy...ideas?

Title/odometer mileage discrepancy...ideas?

So I bought a bike in the spring which seemed like a good deal...bought from original owner, the guy said he rarely rode it anymore and needed to sell it for a ring for the wife (poor bastard)..anyways...

Minus the lack of riding it, I could tell he took care of it. He said he would start if every few weeks and so forth (it was also extremely clean) It came with all the original parts, records of work from dealership, etc etc. So I bought it, under the impression that it had 10,000 miles on it (that is the mileage he posted it for sale as).

So when I took it home, he wrote 10k miles on the title, both signed it etc. After it was not my property...i realized "F*CK!", the supposed 10k milage was actually the Trip B odometer reading 1030.08 (at a glance it looked like 10k...so i didnt really take notice); After changing odo to Trip A, I realized the bike actually has 7k miles on it.

While the bike having less miles isn't a bad thing per say, now that I am trying to sell it I have to explain to everyone that the title has 10k miles and the bike really only has 7k miles. Does anyone have any experience with something like this? Can I get the title changed to the proper mileage? Or am I better off riding the bike until it exceeds the mileage on the title...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Title/odometer mileage discrepancy...ideas?

The previous owner didnt remember the exact mileage when you were doing the paperwork. He wrote what he thought it was, but was mistaken. Otherwise, I am picturing a scene from Ferris Buehler.

Put it on a rear stand and let it idle in 5th gear

At a minimum you have a "not actual" if you've already registered it, and things like carfax will report that. If you haven't registered it in your name you can have him update it before you register it.

The only problem I have with selling it as "not actual" is that everyone throwing me offers is under the impression that it warrants $500-1000 off the actual worth of the bike, which it may very well be. But I'd rather not take a $500 bath on a brain fart moment

Quote Originally Posted by pcakes55 View Post
    The only problem I have with selling it as "not actual" is that everyone throwing me offers is under the impression that it warrants $500-1000 off the actual worth of the bike, which it may very well be. But I'd rather not take a $500 bath on a brain fart moment
    You are at least 50% responsible for that brain fart.

Two many 2 strokes

its not going to matter 10k vs 7k if the bike is clean.....

Banned

I wouldnt care about that stuff if i was buying.

I would take 100% responsibility on this one...of all things Im not sure how I missed that.

But I agree about the 7k vs 10k. However, it doesn't put me in the best position when negotiating a price for the bike is my concern. To me, if I was looking at this bike and planned to ride it past the miles on the title, it would almost be a non-issue.

Anyways it looks like I'm stuck either riding it or trying to find someone who doesn't consider the mileage/title thing as a major concern.

Seeing as how its a mistake in the "proper" direction, I don't see much trouble in the negotiating process. Anyone that has an issue with the title saying 10k, but the bike only having 7k is just being a douche. Tell them to piss off and move on.

The only real negative would be if the title said 10k and the bike actually had 13k.

Not sure if you might have been able to get a title amendment soon after you bought it, but since you bought it in the spring and it's now December, you might be SOL.

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

I bought my bike with almost this exact problem. One of the previous owners had checked the incorrect mileage box on the back accidentally. If I remember correctly, to get it properly fixed I would have had to contact the previous owner who made the error and have him provide me with a signed and notarized declaration of the error. Something to that effect. It sounded like too much work to be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Petorius View Post
    I bought my bike with almost this exact problem. One of the previous owners had checked the incorrect mileage box on the back accidentally. If I remember correctly, to get it properly fixed I would have had to contact the previous owner who made the error and have him provide me with a signed and notarized declaration of the error. Something to that effect. It sounded like too much work to be worth it.
    You beat me to the punch.
    Yes, a notarized statement from the previous owner with the actual mileage stated.

ride it 3000 miles till it has the correct mileage

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Quote Originally Posted by Petorius View Post
    Definitely not trying to hijack the thread, but I had a similar issue. When I bought my bike it had ~9500 miles, but the seller checked the ~ "mileage has exceeded odometer capacity" box (since the 1st box was for ~"incorrect mileage" or whatever, I assumed the next box was for "mileage is correct"; I was too excited counting out my money for him while he filled it out). So my father went to the RMV to register and they mentioned getting it amended as described above, but my father (correctly) assumed I was too anxious to ride the bike that he decided to register it anyway. My title now states that I bought the bike with 109,500 miles!! Now I'm not worried about losing money if I decide to sell since I think it's pretty obvious the bike does not have that mileage.

Is there any way to amend the mileage if the title has already been issued with the incorrect mileage? If I had a notarized statement (along with a statement from the previous owner), could the title be corrected if I sell it?

You'll need the notarized statement regardless.
    I'm not sure if MA would then issue you another title (with a fee for certain), or if you simply attach the notarized document with the title to the next buyer.

Buyers and sellers get 'check happy' on titles with 2 boxes which are only for odometer discrepancy or mechanical limits exceeded.
    NH recently changed their titles which now have a third box stating "Actual Mileage."

Last edited by gumby; 12-16-13 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    You'll need the notarized statement regardless.
    I'm not sure if MA would then issue you another title (with a fee for certain), or if you simply attach the notarized document with the title to the next buyer.

Buyers and sellers get 'check happy' on titles with 2 boxes which are only for odometer discrepancy or mechanical limits exceeded.
    NH recently changed their titles which now have a third box stating "Actual Mileage."
    You're dead-on: I was definitely check happy since it was my first street bike! I had just driven 2.5 hours and the bike was exactly as advertised so I couldn't wait to load it up for the haul back. I won't make the same mistake again, but I'm just glad it's for a bike that I hope to have for a long time.

What mileage did he have the bike inspected at? What mileage did you have the bike inspected at? I wonder if the inspection station caught the correct mileage of 7k while your title says 10k.
    If they did, carfax and the RMV will most likely have an entry for that and the new owner may get a TMU title.

Too many bikes to list
    http://oneguytwowheels.blogspot.com/
    Mosdt likely drunkd

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    ride it 3000 miles till it has the correct mileage
    Bam.

Ride the piss out of it.. then worry about the details.

The notarized letter is your only legal choice. For that, unless you know someone who will do without the previous owner, you both need to be there.

I once was able to get a title through my insurance agent, he called the dmv and told them the owner needed a duplicate, and to ship it to him, worked. Only way it doesnt work is if the title has a lien on it, or if youre not friendly with your agent lol

Last edited by MaRce1o; 12-17-13 at 03:40 PM.

CCS #31

I read your OP and it stated the error came from the TRIP ODO #2 reading then you switched to the trip ODO #1 and the mileage was 7k. I just want to make sure you are reading the actual odometer and not the trip odometers. I realize you are not an idiot im just going by what I read to make sure there is not an error from reading the wrong screen. All 3 of my bikes have 2 trip meters plus the overall mileage I hope this is what happened so you don't have to go thru trying to get an official (title) document changed. I guess this would mean the bike has more miles than you thought though. Good luck!

My gsxr title says 99999 miles cause someone at the rmv fucked up.
    I Don't care about it.