Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Title question in Massachusetts

Lifer

Title question in Massachusetts

I'm trying to sell a bike. I can find the titles of all my other bikes, but not the one I am trying to sell! I went to the RMV website to get a duplicate just now. I put my VIN and I get a message "A certificate of title has not been issued as of this date. Please contact the Title Division at 857-368-8050.". Then, below it, it says title type: clear and issue date 10/6/15. So, I don't get it. Was I not issued a title when I bought the bike? I don't remember if I got it in the mail or not. I think I did, but am not sure. Does anybody have experience with this? Seems weird that I can't get a duplicate online...the bike is registered and ridden. Any input appreciated since I have a buyer lined up. Thanks!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

Lifer

Re: Title question in Massachusetts

I found my registration and looking at the title number it says "EXAM" - what does that mean? This bike had a clean title before from Maine prior to purchasing it and titling it in MA.

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

Sorry, I don't know what it means. But I have found that my insurance agent has a whole lotta experience with the registry on all matters and can usually answer my questions. If not, well then I call the registry, or go there. Recently I've found that the Watertown RMV is working well, in and out in ten minutes the other day with a title correction (VIN of all things), I had even filled in the amendment form wrong, they let me correct it.

HTH, probably doesn't.

And don't believe everything you think.

We've had other problems, including never issuing the title for a company car! Sometimes you have to go to the RMV and they will call the Title Division, other times we've called them directly.

Lifer

Thanks for the advice! I bet I never received it and since it was winter and the bike was registered I never thought about it. So annoying since I have buyer lined up....I guess I'll have to call Monday, but I bet it will take some time for me to get it.

I had an issue with this exact problem after buying a bike from another state, seems the RMV either drags there feet with this or it gets lost in the Bureaucracy . I Had to go back and ask about it again after not receiving it, Finely got it in the mail after some work and push back.. good luck

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by MUZ720 View Post
    I had an issue with this exact problem after buying a bike from another state, seems the RMV either drags there feet with this or it gets lost in the Bureaucracy . I Had to go back and ask about it again after not receiving it, Finely got it in the mail after some work and push back.. good luck
    Thanks, but that sucks to hear. How long was it until you got the title you were supposed to get in the first place?

it was about five years ago so ... thinking they said four weeks when I registered it, asked them after six, got it a week after that..

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
    Thanks for the advice! I bet I never received it and since it was winter and the bike was registered I never thought about it. So annoying since I have buyer lined up....I guess I'll have to call Monday, but I bet it will take some time for me to get it.
    They will quote you six weeks but we've gotten them in as little as one. YMMV.

Lifer

In one week I will likely still have my buyer, but six weeks and I will be looking at the end of the season. I will call tomorrow morning and see if I can sort it out. Thanks for the input

Lifer

Worst case scenario your buyer *might* be able to re-title the bike using your prior registration and a bill of sale. That depends on the buyer's state requirements of buying an 'untitled' vehicle, and whether or not there is some sort of internal 'hold' on the VIN given the EXAM bit. Never heard of that one.

nedirtriders.com

Lifer

I'm in MA and buyer is local. I don't think he would be interested in something like that - I sure would not be. Incidentally, on hold for about 20 minutes with the title division right now....

Lifer

After an hour of waiting on the phone I managed to get a human. He said it will be printed tonight and sent out tomorrow! So, I'm hopeful

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!