Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Title Service/Title Broker - your experiences

Title Service/Title Broker - your experiences

The Mass RMV requires a Bill of Sale and a Title (or the old registration) to register a vehicle purchased through a private party. Only have a Bill of Sale - you are SOL.

There are title brokers on the web that can provide a title and/or registration to help you get past this roadblock. I think it works like this - you "sell" the vehicle to the broker, broker registers in his state, broker sells vehicle back to you and now you have the paperwork for the RMV. Its just a paper transaction, the vehicle doesn't go anywhere. Do I have that right?

It might seem sketchy but all those transactions are totally legit. Unless you're using fake VIN's it should be perfectly legal, I think.

So NESR'ers, have you ever used one of these services? What was your experience?

Asking for a friend

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Title Service/Title Broker - your experiences

Subscribed!

Go fast. Have fun. Repeat.

That sounds shady as shit but doesn't sound illegal... Let's see.

I looked into a title service back in 1999 when I purchased my R7, they could only help me if the vehicle was over 10 years old at the time.

I'd likely pass on the purchase if I had to do what you are describing (i'd pass anyways without a title or prior registration) unless I personally knew the person that was going to get the title for me. For him to do as you describe, you're legally selling the bike to him, what's to stop him from not wanting to sell it back to you?
    It may seem legit, but questionable at least. You purchased the bike (supposed to pay sales tax) sold it to the guy to title/register (pay sales tax again) and he sells it back to you so you can once again pay the sales tax? Is it worth it to pay the tax 3 times on it?

Yamaha

The first thing that I thought of was that in the sales contract I would plainly spell out both the purchase and the repurchase.

Go fast. Have fun. Repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    what's to stop him from not wanting to sell it back to you?
    if he's running a business he wants to make his customers happy

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    You purchased the bike (supposed to pay sales tax) sold it to the guy to title/register (pay sales tax again) and he sells it back to you so you can once again pay the sales tax? Is it worth it to pay the tax 3 times on it?
    In Mass, a private party sale, you pay the tax when you register the vehicle. So no tax paid yet. Meanwhile the broker, if he's a good businessman, is set up in a state that has no or very little sales tax. The brokers I've seen on the web are in places like Maine, Alabama, Utah. I bet there's no sales tax in those states and, probably, no requirement to show proof of insurance when you register the vehicle.

I'm just hoping to hear from some people who have gone through process and how it worked for them

Quote Originally Posted by jim v View Post
    That's a biiiig assumption

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

The more I look into this the crazier it gets. Seems like Vermont will let you register a vehicle even if you aren't a resident - mail the paperwork in with a check and they mail back plates. How sketchy is that? Thread if you want to check it out - http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35032

Has anyone ever tried that?

Last edited by jim v; 08-04-14 at 10:43 AM. Reason: can't type

Lifer

"Used Vehicles Which Have Not Been Titled, but are required to be titled in Vermont (see above criteria): Original or certified copy of the last registration certificate and all bills of sale thereafter. (...) "
    "Vermont titles all vehicles fifteen (15) years old or newer (based on calendar year). [Except] Motorcycles with engine size smaller than 300 cubic centimeters."

The way I read that, if your bike is 300cc+ and 15 years old or newer, you will need prior registration.

Edit: Source of info http://dmv.vermont.gov/registrations/drivers/title

Last edited by aldend123; 08-04-14 at 01:53 PM.
    nedirtriders.com

I don't personally know about VT but I have a friend who lives here as a MA Resident and he simply drove up to a VT RMV and registered his weirdo 80's rat motard with no issue and drives it around here with a VT plate. My insurance company told me when I first moved to MA that certain states allow you to register a motorcycle/vehicle there as a non-resident as long as said thing is supposedly stored there and used there, in reference to that I kept my bike stored in NH and pretty much road it there.

Other note I helped friends get titles and registrations for a few bikes without paperwork when I was a NH resident still. I never had any hassle and only twice out of 5 times did they have me do a VIN verification form at a bike shop to prove the bike was what I had written down on paper. Then once I had my NH registration for the bike I simply wrote a bill of sale up for the bike and "sold" it to them. The biggest hassle is getting the bike to a physical location for the verification form if they decide to tell you that one is required on the particular day you're there.

Last edited by 2v2Ducati; 08-04-14 at 05:22 PM.
    Like I said they say, nothing stops a party barge.

97' Ducati 900SS - Sometimes runs

In Mass, a private party sale, you pay the tax when you register the vehicle. So no tax paid yet. Meanwhile the broker, if he's a good businessman, is set up in a state that has no or very little sales tax. The brokers I've seen on the web are in places like Maine, Alabama, Utah. I bet there's no sales tax in those states and, probably, no requirement to show proof of insurance when you register the vehicle.

I'm just hoping to hear from some people who have gone through process and how it worked for them
    but in Mass you pay $75 per title so thats 3 times the title plus abour 3+ weeks waiting time per title

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    but in Mass you pay $75 per title so thats 3 times the title plus abour 3+ weeks waiting time per title
    It should only get titled in Mass once. The broker will register and/or title in the state that has the loosest rules and lowest fees. Then you take that registration and/or title to the Mass RMV.

At least I think that's how its supposed to work. You still have to wait for paperwork and I'm sure the broker will pass on the reg and title fees in that state.

Bumping this thread to provide some info -

You absolutely can register a vehicle in Vermont without being a resident, or going to Vermont. A "friend" registered a vehicle by mail, it was over 15 years old and thus did not require a title. Follow the instructions on the VT rmv website, send them all the forms and a check for the fees/taxes. If you have any questions call them, they are helpful and this seems to be something they do all the time. I believe VT does a title search to make sure the vehicle in question isn't stolen or salvaged. If you plan on driving the vehicle around in MA you better put it on your insurance. If your insurance company is like my friend's, they don't ask where the vehicle is registered

You absolutely can use the current VT registration to transfer the registration to MA without a title (if there's any question, just tell the counter person VT doesn't issue titles for vehicles over 15 years old). My friend payed a title fee and a registration fee. The vehicle is now registered in MA and a title should come in the next few weeks.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by jim v; 09-09-14 at 08:31 AM.

also SouthDakota you can reg by mail also.....Its a loop hole for getting dirt bikes REG in MA. I just go to the town hall and they are happy to do it for me

gotta Love NH

It should only get titled in Mass once. The broker will register and/or title in the state that has the loosest rules and lowest fees. Then you take that registration and/or title to the Mass RMV.
    And there are a number of guys on Advrider who purchased titled bikes from out of state, then had LEA show up and confiscate the bike as stolen.

That is more a caution for buying than owning, though. In my opinion every loophole like this just makes it more worthwhile for people to steal bikes.

If you are buying a street legal bike under 300cc from ME or VT, make sure you get both a Bill of Sale and the last registration. My guy had to go back to his town hall and get a duplicate, fortunately it was only $3.

It is also a good idea to print out the VT or ME website info that shows they don't title these bikes and show it to the RMV. I've registered two of them and both times they told me I needed a title, and both times I had to go to a Supervisor and show them the www link. It is also on the state RMV site someplace.

Last edited by Garandman; 09-09-14 at 09:55 AM.