Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to title a supermoto for street use?

Question How to title a supermoto for street use?

New to the forum, but will be buying a supermoto from member on this site. I've owned an 02 R1 and an 08 R1 more recently, and loved both to death but i feel like i need a change, plus ill have different living arrangements this coming summer so a supermoto looks to be my best option, also they look like a BLAST to ride around on the street.

I know how to make the Bike street legal (lights,mirror,etc etc...) but as for obtaining a street use title i have heard many different stories..
    I am buying the bike from the original owner with an MSO in his name from Mass. I need to register it in New York, this is where it gets tricky as i hear from some that registering a dirtbike in NY is impossible. But some people have simply put a dealership sticker over the part that says "for offroad use only", some people have walked right in with insurance and an MSO and walked out registered.
    NYS DOES NOT require an inspection before they register you instead, you register a vehicle, and they give you a 10-day period that you have to get your vehicle inspected. So do i take the risk and go into the DMV with an MSO thats not in my name (heard you cant transfer an MSO) and hope for the best? do i apply for a custom vehicle build?

Or do i say screw it and go to VT and deal with having a state cop inspect the bike and paying money out the ass for all their forms, than once i get reg papers and a title, transfer everything to NY

Also ive heard of a place in Texas that i can send all my documents (MSO, Bill of Sale, copy of licence) and they send me back a street use texas title with my name on it, which i than transfer to NY.

Im super confused by all this so any help is much appreciated...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Re: How to title a supermoto for street use?

i know a few guys on here have done it. have you tried to ask over at supermotojunkie?

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

I just became a member over there a few days ago and have been reading story after story of people trying things, but nobody follows up and reports as to whether they were successful or not. From what i understand its much easier if the MSO is in your name (which mine wont be). I would think it would be easy, i mean what clerk at the DMV will know what they are looking at on a piece of paper its a motorcycle just like any other. Even if i get it past that point, does NYS run a background VIN verification? if so, i believe they will find out its an off road use only bike, and cancel my registration if it even gets issued. Pain in the ass but im determined because i know itll be well worth it. If i could just get a dealer to produce a title for me in my name that says street use...any dealers on here wanna help out? ill make it worth your time

Buy an 04 WR450f........already has the headlight and tail light with the Oem stator so it's all ready to go.

ive got my mind made up on the bike im buying, plus im pretty sure those have offroad use only titles as well. Like i said im not concerned at all with the physically making it street legal part, its just the reg process thats got me guessing

Don't bother. You're going to get arrested on it regardless. Just ride it.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    LRRS 878 Clapped out Gixxah

What bike is it? If it's a KTM, there is no "Not for highway use" on the MSO and you should be able to walk into the DMV with the MSO, bill of sale, and some tax money, and walk out with your plate. If it's a Japanese brand, you have your work cut out for you.
    Before you do anything, I'd just try and register it and play dumb. While the chances are low that will work, I know some people (including myself) that have been successful.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    What bike is it? If it's a KTM, there is no "Not for highway use" on the MSO and you should be able to walk into the DMV with the MSO, bill of sale, and some tax money, and walk out with your plate.
    I'm gonna threadjack a little here, I just picked up a used KTM with an MSO that's been signed over multiple times, can I just take that to the MA RMV and register it? I was getting ready to send the paperwork to some relatives out of state and have them title it for me, I was told that once the MSO had been transferred to someone else you couldn't do that in MA??

Lifer

R7 is correct. Buy a European bike, if possible, A KTM, Husky, 'Berg, Beta, Gas-Gas, etc. will have a "good" CoO. A Japanese bike will not.
    I would *not* place a sticker over any part of the CoO, or title.
    Other than that, I would agree that getting through this process is very much up to "the luck of the draw" in terms of happening upon the "right" person at the RMV. I have always asked my insurance agents to do this for me. Sometimes, they are unwilling to try, and they lose my business. At other times, it has taken them 2 or 3 attempts, but they eventually succeed.
    I am unfamiliar with the NY process, but in MA, it can be a PITA to go through the "proper" channels.

Lifer

These days, I am very careful about buying a bike with sketchy paperwork. It just seems like the process is getting tougher and tougher every year. If a bike does not have a clean title, in the actual sellers name, I walk away.
    I have been registering my dirt bikes for over 25 years, to ride NETRA events, and I have learned my lesson. I will say that, IMO, if you are determined enough, and you grease enough palms, you will eventually be successful. If you balk at paying up, you will be shut down.

Last edited by gregp; 01-19-13 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by b0xmonkey View Post
    I was told that once the MSO had been transferred to someone else you couldn't do that in MA??
    From what i heard you are correct. If the MSO is in your name (meaning your the orig owner) and hasnt been transferred your pretty much good to go. But thats not the case with either of us. Where do your relatives live, help a brother out!

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    What bike is it?
    Bike is a Kawasaki. Ill probably just play dumb. maybe call my dad see if he has any connections at the local DMV

I did this a couple years ago with my 450x here in Vermont. I needed the MSO which I did not have. That was the only pain in the ass. Ended up getting a letter from the last owner, dealership the bike was sold at and Honda mo co explaining the situation and I got my plate.

If I had the MSO it would have been easy as pie. The 250x I plated before that was even easier. No title or MSO needed.

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Quote Originally Posted by mriley View Post
    Where do your relatives live, help a brother out!
    I have a sister in Phoenix. I might bring it to my insurance agent first and see what they can do for me, but if that fails I'll try sending it to her. Hey, I figure if you can by a handgun in AZ with just a valid drivers license how hard can it be to title a dirtbike?

Lifer

VT is really cooperative. If you know somebody who lives there, they can probably help you out. Any bike under 300cc's does not need a title. I am guessing that the OP has a 450, though.

HMMMM let's see....do we know anyone in VT? If I remember correctly, his name rhymes with SHIT!

Quote Originally Posted by slowkermit View Post
    HMMMM let's see....do we know anyone in VT? If I remember correctly, his name rhymes with SHIT!
    Doc?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

All I know is, somebody needs to help steve out. I want to ride the KP enduro with him, and then laugh at the pain and anguish on his face after riding 70+ miles of pure shittyness in 4hrs. Unfortunately, you need a plate in order to join in the suffering....

Quote Originally Posted by slowkermit View Post
    All I know is, somebody needs to help steve out. I want to ride the KP enduro with him, and then laugh at the pain and anguish on his face after riding 70+ miles of pure shittyness in 4hrs. Unfortunately, you need a plate in order to join in the suffering....
    Go on...

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Why don't you just trade the R1 to me for my KTM Duke?

It's road legal and probably the best motard "designed" for the road, so 200 mile...no prob. Vibration? Not too much. Plenty of torque for curvey fun.

To answer your question, as far as New York? Not sure. I know people in Mass will register in a state that doesn't require a title and then transfer the reg. KTM's are good because they all come with titles, so easier to install lights and a stator and convert.

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

this site may help...
    http://www.dmv.org/

Last edited by Point37; 01-22-13 at 01:31 PM.
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Quote Originally Posted by sdog30 View Post
    Why don't you just trade the R1 to me for my KTM Duke?

It's road legal and probably the best motard "designed" for the road, so 200 mile...no prob. Vibration? Not too much. Plenty of torque for curvey fun.

To answer your question, as far as New York? Not sure. I know people in Mass will register in a state that doesn't require a title and then transfer the reg. KTM's are good because they all come with titles, so easier to install lights and a stator and convert.
    Yeah, like this one. Lights and go.

http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...006-ktm-560smr

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Why do you need to know someone in VT to do this? I've lived in NH for a year now. My cage is still registered in VT. I've known people who live in CT and have had their vehicles registered in VT since I was a kid.

Put the bike in the truck, bring it to and get a signed paper from an inspection station saying it is street legal and would pass inspection. Take that and other junk needed (certificate of origin... MSO? not sure what MSO stands for), to the DMV. Even if the cert of origin says "off road use only", if a sate inspection station says it's street legal, the VT DMV will accept that. Get it registered. Insure it. Go back to the inspection station and get your sticker. Put your tag on it. Go ride the damn thing. And in a few weeks, the state of VT will mail you your VT title to your MA, CT, etc, address. If you're going to reg it in VT, it doesn't matter if it's Euro or Japanese.

I know a guy with a tarded out CR500, plated, inspected and he rides it on the street. Yes, I know a CR500 is a two stroke MX bike.

No idea why you outta staters need a friend in VT. I've had a friend from Boston pester me to register his bikes. Do it yourselves ya lazy shits

Or do i say screw it and go to VT and deal with having a state cop inspect the bike and paying money out the ass for all their forms, than once i get reg papers and a title, transfer everything to NY
    Pay out the ass? Police officer verified my VIN for me for free. Want to save coin, don't get a vanity tag. What forms was I suppose to pay out the ass for? I never got that memo. And the clown at the DMV only charged me for tax, the title, and the registration itself. The bike in question was a gixxer that came from Michigan.

Last edited by Slyder; 01-22-13 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Why do you need to know someone in VT to do this? I've lived in NH for a year now. My cage is still registered in VT. I've known people who live in CT and have had their vehicles registered in VT since I was a kid.

Put the bike in the truck, bring it to and get a signed paper from an inspection station saying it is street legal and would pass inspection. Take that and other junk needed (certificate of origin... MSO? not sure what MSO stands for), to the DMV. Even if the cert of origin says "off road use only", if a sate inspection station says it's street legal, the VT DMV will accept that. Get it registered. Insure it. Go back to the inspection station and get your sticker. Put your tag on it. Go ride the damn thing. And in a few weeks, the state of VT will mail you your VT title to your MA, CT, etc, address. If you're going to reg it in VT, it doesn't matter if it's Euro or Japanese.

I know a guy with a tarded out CR500, plated, inspected and he rides it on the street. Yes, I know a CR500 is a two stroke MX bike.

No idea why you outta staters need a friend in VT. I've had a friend from Boston pester me to register his bikes. Do it yourselves ya lazy shits

Pay out the ass? Police officer verified my VIN for me for free. Want to save coin, don't get a vanity tag. What forms was I suppose to pay out the ass for? I never got that memo. And the clown at the DMV only charged me for tax, the title, and the registration itself. The bike in question was a gixxer that came from Michigan.
    Thanks for the advice, im going to do exactly as you stated because it seems to be the only way to go. I meant id have to pay out the ass because im pretty sure ill have to pay sales tax twice. Once when i reg in VT and once when i transfer it to NY. Plus i have to account for gas money and the fact that my girlfriend will want to road trip to VT with me meaning im gonna have to take her out to dinner and buy her stuff from the burton factory store it allll adds up.

Anyways i pick up the bike tomorrow so ill begin the process of ordering parts friday and hopefully in 2 weeks ill be all registered and set to go. I will keep this post updated, and pictures will be up

By the way, MSO is the Manufacturers Statement of Origin. Thats what dirtbikes come with when you buy from a dealer, or when you buy from a private owner who hasnt lost theirs yet.

Thanks for the advice, im going to do exactly as you stated because it seems to be the only way to go. I meant id have to pay out the ass because im pretty sure ill have to pay sales tax twice. Once when i reg in VT and once when i transfer it to NY. Plus i have to account for gas money and the fact that my girlfriend will want to road trip to VT with me meaning im gonna have to take her out to dinner and buy her stuff from the burton factory store it allll adds up.

Anyways i pick up the bike tomorrow so ill begin the process of ordering parts friday and hopefully in 2 weeks ill be all registered and set to go. I will keep this post updated, and pictures will be up

By the way, MSO is the Manufacturers Statement of Origin. Thats what dirtbikes come with when you buy from a dealer, or when you buy from a private owner who hasnt lost theirs yet.
    Is it the kx450f?

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast