Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Someone messed up my bike!

Thumbs down Someone messed up my bike!

Well i went to go for a ride yesterday only to find my bike was sitting at a funny angle from where I ussually park. I put the key in and it wouldn't go through the normal clicks (lock-off-on). I tried wiggling the steering wheel because sometimes the wheel lock is fussy. Even though the wheel lock was on I could turn the wheel almost all the way but not quite.

It seems as though someone was trying to move or steal it but was unsuccesful. The other possiblility is someone backed into it and pushed the front wheel against the wall but this is unlikely because of how I park. So the little black ignition tube is f-ed up. I can still get the bike started if i fiddle with the key long enough. The thing is the part with the key is bent way down and touching the bottom of the circular hole it resides in. This should be centered. Does this mean my forks could be bent? I am afraid to ride to diagnose cause i don't want to wreck if something is busted. What do you think would happen when someone turned the wheel with the lock on anyways?

Any opinions you guys have would be of great help. If anyone who knows there shit is in the area let me know, I could use someone other than a novice like me when it comes to bike repair.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrists office"

100 X slower than Gerard scootertrash's Avatar

Wow...that really sucks.
    If I am reading your description correctly, it sounds like your ignition switch was pressed down into the triple clamp...is that right? Like someone used a tool to try and smash/remove the ignition? (such as a hammer and steel shaft). If that's the case, sounds like it wasn't an accident. It would take a lot of direct force to mess up the steering lock.
    I think it takes a lot to bend the front forks. If you get the front wheel straight, I would sit on the bike and roll it forward and hit the front brakes hard. Try it at progressivly faster speeds. You'll probably find the front end feels ok. If the ignition switch is messed up and you can't unlock the steering fully now, riding it will be pretty unsafe even though you say you can turn the steering most of the way. Without seeing the damage, it's hard to give you much advice on the effort it will take to fix. I can't help you with any of the shops in the Boston area...maybe someone else can. Good luck, man.

try bouncing up and down on the front suspension a couple times. if you see fluid leaking around the fork seals, then the fork legs are probably bent. However, just because you don't see oil leaking out, doesn't necessarily mean the fork legs are straight....

"Balls," I said. "Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers."

- Hunter S Thompson

2 x 82 GS 650, '94 RM 80

It sounds to me by your description that someone tried jacking it. Hard to tell without seeing it though. Got a digital camera?

Easy way to tell if your forks are straight: Remove your front wheel; remove brake calipers from forks; loosen pinch bolts for clip ons & triple clamp (just enough so you can spin the fork tubes by hand in their holders); slowly and deliberately spin the forks (while still in the triple clamp) and watch closely the very bottom of your forks. If they're even a little out, you should see it...

By reading this, it may seem a bit involved for a beginner. I can assure you it's not. Refer to your owner's manual on front wheel removal. Then there should be two bolts holding each caliper on (DON'T SQUEEZE THE FRONT BRAKE LEVER WITH YOUR CALIPERS OFF!), one bolt for each clip on (2), and I think four more pinch bolts on each fork tube. It's not as hard as it may seem...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Originally posted by scootertrash
    Wow...that really sucks.
    If I am reading your description correctly, it sounds like your ignition switch was pressed down into the triple clamp...is that right? Like someone used a tool to try and smash/remove the ignition? (such as a hammer and steel shaft). If that's the case, sounds like it wasn't an accident. It would take a lot of direct force to mess up the steering lock. .... If the ignition switch is messed up and you can't unlock the steering fully now, riding it will be pretty unsafe even though you say you can turn the steering most of the way.
    Well I went back and looked it over more carefully, I was in a hurry before. You are right, the ignition is bent down into the triple clamp. It doesn't look like anything with the suspension is bent though. I rode it around for a bit and didn't feel anything out of the norm. I can get the steering lock off with the key but when it's on you can turn the wheel about half way to the right. They also put chip in the paint where a belt buckle would go.

The thing i don't understand is they were trying to rip out the ignition but no attempt was made to remove the giant Kryptonite chain.

NOT laughing with you {~; bemused's Avatar

Originally posted by SWEET_Z
    The thing i don't understand is they were trying to rip out the ignition but no attempt was made to remove the giant Kryptonite chain.
    as I understand it: in Taxachussetts, a Mensa membership card is NOT required for bikejacking...

WWSD? (what would Sneakers do?)
    "for every credibility gap, there is a gullibility fill"
    jeff f
    '97 RF900R

They tried 'popping' your ignition and 'snapping' the steering locks. Both common in bike thefts. Maybe they stopped the attempt when they realized it had the chain on it, and they forgot their frion (sp?) at home...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

That does sucks I know the exact feeling. 3 months ago the same thing happened to me. They attempted/failed/dropped the bike/took off... (Long story short!)
    I would call the police and get a report written up asap and let your insurance know about the attempted theft. Bring it to a shop and get it checked out and fixed properly.

Good luck, hope you'll be back riding it quickly.
    P.S. DO NOT BRING IT TO ANDERSON CYCLE IN FRAMINGHAM..
    YOU WONT SEE IT TILL DECEMBER....

Rides: 13 Hyperstada, 09 SFV650, 97 CBR 900RR
    www.tailofthedragon.com
    RIP A.B. RIP BEET, I Ride in Leathers because I would rather sweat than Bleed...

Originally posted by Half Squid
    I would call the police and get a report written up asap and let your insurance know about the attempted theft.
    What good would these steps do? Neither can do anything to help the problem and the insurance will prob use it as an excuse to up my rates.

Just Registered

cuz

Its better to report it now, then when they come back for it you dont have to say "well someone tried to take it before.." cause then it sounds really suspicious.

lol @ the mensa comment, you'd be suprised at the people that snatch bikes - many of them cant even ride the damn things, but its not their dime so why not learn on someone elses? Bastards...

From the mark on the tank where the belt buckle was, Id say someone saw an easy mark and hopped on it and went to work with their tools, only to realize that once they could move the fork around somewhat that it was chained, they hit their :50 second mark and split, off to find the guy up the road that didnt chain his.

In a theft situation time is your friend. Id give some thought to a few cheesy 5$ locks from HD or something, hung in plain sight, and the dirtiest oldest ratty cover you can find, you'd be suprised at the wonders it will do...hopefully, but 5 crappy locks take longer to fuss with then 1 good one, no matter what tools you have.

For now, beware - they may have forgot their pcb cooler this time, but if they want it (and it wasnt just opportunistic theft) they'll be back...be aware of your surroundings as well, because for some its alot easier if they have the key in the bike already. No matter how much of a badass you are, its not worth your life, thats why we pay a billion bucks for insurance on our addictions .

I have a slew of advice on this topic, but ive rambled enough already, pm me if ya want some more. In the meantime, best of luck to ya, may you just return from an evening of sighting in your twin tactical .45's when you find these excuses for life red handed

My 2 vices, not necessarily in order:
    www.gpsdiscussion.com
    motorcycleaddicts.org

Originally posted by SWEET_Z
    What good would these steps do? Neither can do anything to help the problem and the insurance will prob use it as an excuse to up my rates.
    Z-Dog;
    I just went threw this, my rates have not changed. The only loss I took was the deductable. I pay for the extra coverage so my deductable was only $300. The total of the loss came to $1800. So rather than piss that out on my own I chose the police report and insurance claim. So it was worth it for me.

This whole process would have been a lot easier if they just took the dam thing... fuckers...

Rides: 13 Hyperstada, 09 SFV650, 97 CBR 900RR
    www.tailofthedragon.com
    RIP A.B. RIP BEET, I Ride in Leathers because I would rather sweat than Bleed...