Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

tough choices

tough choices

So july 18th I am flying to itality for two and a half weeks to chill with a friend. He has an RC-51, so we decided to take 10 days and ride the Dolemite, from Itality to France.

I got in touch with a rental dealer ship, but they don't have the bike I wanted. I was going to rent a monster 1000, but apprently that is very popular and they don't have any.

so here are my other choices

Monster S2R
    Monster S4R
    ST3
    ST4s
    Multistrada 1000DS
    749/999

I am really thinking about getting the 749, but I don't think I could ride 400+ a day, comfortably. I want a bike that is comfy yet the focous of this trip is to rip up the twisties and have some fun.

what do you Ducati fans think?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

tough choices

s4r. 996 power, handles well, all day comfort. i sure firenuts and a996s (wayne and tim) could tell you better, thats what they both ride.

tough choices

999!!!!!!!!!!

You want to be in the same class as the RC51 don't ya

Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps?

tough choices

Originally posted by By-Tor
    999!!!!!!!!!!

You want to be in the same class as the RC51 don't ya
    I've never ridden a V-Twin before, plus on top of that we have challenging terrian and diffrent laws. I'd rather pick something I know I can handle. People bin it all the time on these roads and I don't want to ride over my head.

Lifer

tough choices

I'd go for the ST3... it is supposed to be the sweet spot out of all the S-T bikes Ducati has built... easy to ride, easy to access the power, barely slower than the ST4s, etc... definitely comfy enough for 400 mile days.

But hell the 749/999 are supposed to be quite comfy compared to past bikes from Ducati, why the hell not go for it if you're in good shape and you consider yourself a good enough rider to handle those bikes. The 749/999 have adjustable clipons, seat, and pegs AFAIK so you should be able to get comfy.

None of them are bad bikes... I wouldn't sweat the decision too much at all.

tough choices

itality
    I-T-A-L-Y...Italy.

Anyway, get the 749 or 999, especially if your friend will be on an RC51. Don't sweat any of the small stuff. When I bought my 748, I had never ever ridden a V-twin either. But, you will quickly adjust to some of the unique characteristics. Just don't be too abrupt with the off-throttle; don't close it too quickly. You will learn to really appreciate engine braking.

ENJOY!

LRRS#167

Littering and........

tough choices

Allow me to simply interject that I hate you and am incredibly jealous.

tough choices

Originally posted by odduc
    I-T-A-L-Y...Italy.

Anyway, get the 749 or 999, especially if your friend will be on an RC51. Don't sweat any of the small stuff. When I bought my 748, I had never ever ridden a V-twin either. But, you will quickly adjust to some of the unique characteristics. Just don't be too abrupt with the off-throttle; don't close it too quickly. You will learn to really appreciate engine braking.

ENJOY!
    spelling has never been my strong point.

Also did I mention that I'm 6'2 and all legs? Think I would be comfy on a 749?

Lifer

tough choices

BTW...

If you are actually worried that you need a 749/999 instead of one of the "slower" bikes to keep up with your friend on an RC-51, you might want to make sure you check up on the rules and regulations in Italy, you wouldn't want to find yourself staring down the barrel of an Uzi over a traffic violation.

If you aren't going to be riding fast enough to worry about getting arrested even a Monster 620 i.e. should keep up with your friend just fine.

It's just I still would probably get a 999 or something just cause it would be fun to ride one for a week without having to worry about maintaining it as an owner.

tough choices

Originally posted by benVFR
    BTW...

If you are actually worried that you need a 749/999 instead of one of the "slower" bikes to keep up with your friend on an RC-51, you might want to make sure you check up on the rules and regulations in Italy, you wouldn't want to find yourself staring down the barrel of an Uzi over a traffic violation.

If you aren't going to be riding fast enough to worry about getting arrested even a Monster 620 i.e. should keep up with your friend just fine.

It's just I still would probably get a 999 or something just cause it would be fun to ride one for a week without having to worry about maintaining it as an owner.
    I'm not worried about keeping up. Last year he had his RC-51 here in the states and I was able to keep up just fine on my ZX-6r. I just wanted something with a little more pep to make it more fun.

Right now it's a tie between the S2R and the 749

tough choices

I think you might be happier if your touring, on the Multistrata

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

tough choices

i think you'll have the most fun on the multistrada.

and you can return the goofy looking thing when you're done, and not worry about who saw you on it!

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

tough choices

being as tall as you are, i would opt for the multi-strada as well, great touring bike plenty of pep and you can ride well over 400mi in a day in comfort and still have time to out drink your tired friend on the rc at the end of the day..... have a great time and take some pics!!!

tough choices

Also did I mention that I'm 6'2 and all legs? Think I would be comfy on a 749?
    I hear ya there! I'm 6'0" and I ride a 748. I did, however, add the Heli-Bars, they made a world of difference for me. I can now ride all day long without the fatigue that I used to get on my forearms and wrists. Anyway, I had a chance to ride a 749 and was pleasantly surprised at how much more relaxed the riding position was compared to the 748.

Taking all things into consideration, the Multistrada may be a good choice if you think you will be on some rough roads. Or, if possible, try a 749 for a day or two and finish with the Multistrada.

Enjoy the beautiful Italian women and wine and take lots of pics and post up when you return.

LRRS#167

tough choices

for touring purposes, you'll have fun with all of them except the 749/999. If you want to ride the coolest Ducati ever made, try the S4R Any of the Monsters are a great mix between sport and touring bike, though that isn't their intended use. I am perfectly fine after a long day's ride on mine. Keep in mind though that these bikes are all torque, and the larger bikes have a lot more pull than a 600 inline. You should have fun with any of these bikes.

As far as adjustable hardware on the 749/999, you will only find these components on the Monoposto models. The two seaters or (Biposto) bikes do not have any adjustment, or at the very least, no seat adjustment from what I remember reading about them. The 749/999s are a cool bike, but I wouldn't want to tour on them. Have fun

Quote Originally Posted by Kham View Post
    you seem to be related to nikon. so fuckyou too! go suck a cock./1
    2012 R1200GS Rallye

tough choices

Do the Multistrada and the STs have hard luggage? Hard luggage is key for long days.

I've ridden both, and would prefer one of the STs for longer days.

I could never really get comfy on the MS - the seat sucked huge and the sit-up-and- beg ridding position never worked for me. It would be an awsome bike if those things were fixed. And it wasnt ugly.

I'm pretty certain that they fixed the seat for the current model year, but the bars are the same.

It's probably worth going to a dealers and sitting on the different bikes before you decide.

Whatever bike you get, it should be red.
    Or maybe yellow.

BMW R1200GS

tough choices

I am planning a trip sometime in the next year to ride in Europe. I think that if I can manage to ride for more than 3 days I will avoid an SS bike, and try a Duc STx or Multi. Otherwise I'll try an Aprilia Mille or some type of Duc.

The multi is kind of a funny looking, but every review I read says it is a top notch sport-touring bike.

Also I'd consider luggage space, fuel capacity, lighting (if running at night), and which bikes are probably the least thrashed from the rental place.

Also not sure if you've driven/ridden in Italy before. It can get pretty hairy, more so in Sicily. There is a logic to their approach to driving, but it is not really apparent until you've done a few hundred mles. Keep checking your mirrors and expect the unexpected!

Buona Fortuna e buon viaggio!

Andrew
    03 Suzuki SV650

tough choices

If you are somewhat comfortable with driving around Boston, then driving in Italy is wicked easy.

The only real difference that I noted are:

1) You may think that you belong in the left lane because your cruising at 80, 90, 100mph, but It's fairly common for a big Mercedes or Ferrari to fly by at 150mph+, so stay out of the left-hand lane unless you are actively passing another car. If you are in the left lane passing a car, keep your left blinker on while you’re passing. After the pass, duck back into the right lane.

B) The driver with the bigger cajones has the right of way in rotaries.

That’s it.

BMW R1200GS

tough choices

Where are you leaving from? I'd love to ride in Italy, but I'd hate to ride out of Rome. That's place is nuts.

tough choices

you're 2 years too late.

tough choices

Quote Originally Posted by McBiggity View Post
    you're 2 years too late.

stupid n00bs

You suck at life. Why don't you quit?

My dad told me I could be anything I wanted when I grew up. So I became an Asshole.

tough choices

EDIT: Just noticed how old this thread was. Oh well.

A friend of mine has a 749 and says that it really isn't comfortable on long hauls.

I'd probably do a tourer, or at least a bike that has upright bars. Then again, no matter what you do it's going to be a blast...

tough choices

ST4s, best all around bike of the bunch. The 749/999 can roast your crotch, the others have no wind protection.

tough choices

Quote Originally Posted by burnham View Post
    ST4s, best all around bike of the bunch. The 749/999 can roast your crotch, the others have no wind protection.
    this is funny cause I did this trip 2 years ago it was EPIC. I went with the multistrada and it was tons of fun

you can check out some pics here Rebellious Photos :: Jeff's Pictures from Italy

tough choices

I don't think there is anything "wrong" with any of those bikes, the st4 is just what I would pick. I've done plenty of 4 or 500 mile days on a 749, I wouldn't want to string a few together though. From what I can see in those pics, just being over there on a bike is good enough. Any bike.