Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Touring on the SV650 standard vs SV650s or other sport bike!

Touring on the SV650 standard vs SV650s or other sport bike!

Hey all...

I am still rather new to motorcycles/riding this being my second season and all, but I am REALLY... interested in using my motorcycle to take on longer either day trips or overnights. But I was wondering if any of the people here had any input on the standard SV vs the S model. I specifically ask about the SV because the Bike is EXACTLY the same, except for the front fairing/windscreen and the side faring that it can also have, and the more leaning stance.

Background:
    The first bike I owned was a 2004 GS500-F. I loved that bike to death, no really to its death. I crashed it when I slipped on black ice in November (I live in Massachusetts, and it hadn't snowed at all yet). I bought that bike at the very beginning of the season so I had put about 5,000 miles on it before it went down. I now own/ride a 2005 SV650. I chose both bikes because they both had a more upright sitting position to them, whilst still having a sporty feeling.
    But from what I can tell my GS500-F *overall* handled MUCH better on the highway! When I was picking out bikes for this season most people I spoke to (granted people I know [in person] don't ride sport bikes) told me "o the fairings and wind screens on those bike don't really do anything!". So I wasn't to concerned with needing to get the S. But now I can't stand the wind on the highway! I have a wind screen for the bike, but it still doesn't feel nearly as smooth as the gs did. The GS was lacking in the power department though.

I wanted to know if anyone here has ridden both the SV and the S more extensively and if you had any preference as to which one you like and WHY!? If you have gone from or to the SV (standard) to/from another bike I do also welcome that input.

Note: these pictures are a little old. I have since changed my mirrors so don't worry for me there I have also taken the windscreen off. Mainly because currently I mainly use the bike for comuting and 80% on back roads (the bike just handles much better overall), but with it off I fear the highway! at speeds above 55mph

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Vawn; 06-23-09 at 01:13 AM.
    2005 SV650

Re: Touring on the SV650 standard vs SV650s or other sport bike!

Having put 13,000 miles on an SVN, I'd say upright bars are you friend. Even if you prefer the feeling of being hunkered down, your back/wrists will be able to relax on long trips if you're sitting upright. The more relaxed pegs on the SVN will also minimize leg cramping.

The only real "downside" of the SVN is the lack of wind protection. I never found it an issue until the weather was down in the freezing temps. But as you posted above, a windshield can be put on it for some serious touring.

Chiwawa444 rode his naked SV down the Blue Ridge Parkway, over Deal's Gap, and then up to the IndyGP last year. I think he's planning to do it again this year. Maybe he'll chime in here.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

Getting the right windscreen size and angle to deflect the wind and minimize buffeting may take some experimentation on your part. Hopefully that screen you have is adjustable for angle, but it may also be too big to give you a smooth airflow where you want it. Your height as seated on the bike also has a lot to do with where the turbulent air will hit you. Smooth high speed air feels a lot better on the highway than more protection with buffeting.

I just removed a small Buell screen from my naked SV because with my lower bars it was putting turbulent air right in my face - it's much better now with no shield at all.

my GS500-F *overall* handled MUCH better on the highway!
    I'll assume you're still talking about airflow here? If you're actually talking about handling/straight line stability on the highway, try raising the front end a few mm at a time by dropping the forks in the triples.

'02 SV650 street|woods|race LRRS #128

WoW I also post a similar topic on the SVrider.com forum, and I got this as one of my responces:
    "It depends on stature also. I am 6'4" and the position on my SF is fine. with a bit of luggage and the SO on the back and we are off anywheres

I have posted this pic before. Was taken at the rally but its the best shot I have 2-up and 60+ lbs of luggage and we still got over 50 mpg for the 968 miles to, from and at the rally. Canny beat that.

Everything is pretty stock except for the OEM gel seat and gel passenger seat (soon to be corbin front and rear) and the ZG touring screen since replaced with a OEM touring screen and the Givi luggage of course."

Honestly I'm not really believing the 50+ mpg, but all in all it sounds good to me. Mainly because I currently get 44mpg on my naked, no luggage.

Something Else that has caught my attention is how the windscreen is attached. I actually thought about it earlier, but never commented. On most standard/naked bikes, the windscreen is attached the the steering column of the bike, so when you get hit by blast of wind on the highway it can effect your direction more easily. Where as on most sport bikes/cruisers the fairings/windscreen are fixed to the frame of the bike, and the steering column is left free.

Last edited by Vawn; 06-25-09 at 12:05 AM.
    2005 SV650

Hey vawn,
    but with it off I fear the highway! at speeds above 55mph
    I don't mind being thrown around at highway speeds, i guess i just consider it par for the territory. I am trying to find a suitable windscreen too, but almost all the reports for smaller ones that don't look outrageous are negative reports, either weird buffeting or very little to no wind protection

I have another sv that has a gsxr front end with the low clipons, and rearsets that are farther back and higher than the originals, and all i can say while its a ton of fun to ride, anything over 180 miles in a day is rough becuase of the riding position. No windscreens/front fairings ever installed on either, so i guess i can't really help ya with that one

2005 suzuki SV650 - yellow touring
    2004 suzuki SV650 - black track

Quote Originally Posted by Vawn View Post
    Honestly I'm not really believing the 50+ mpg, but all in all it sounds good to me. Mainly because I currently get 44mpg on my naked, no luggage.

nakeds get worse gas mileage due to even more miserable aerodynamics than faired bikes.

that, coupled with he probably was reasonable judicious with going WOT cuz he was 2-up. i wouldn't be surprised at all at 50mpg -- i get around 52 and do a decent amount of hard pulls at sub-3-digit speeds...

...adventure timeadventure time...adventure time...adventure time
    hurray, strikethrough!

Ok, yea I can see that. I didn't think gaining 150cc over my 500cc gs500-F would eat that much of my mpg, considering I use to get 55+ easily on that bike.

Well anyhoo, for better or for worse I regrettably feel I am going to be selling my 2005 SV650 for the S model sometime soon. Soon meaning possibly next 2 months, possibly ride it through the season (just avoid the highway), see if I can get $4k for it at the end of the season, or winterize it and try and sell at start of next season. its not 100% yet, but its what I'm leaning towards.

2005 SV650

touring on the nekid SV is possible, and fun, I put 135,000 on mine in 7 years so as you can imagine, I did my share of touring with it

its easy enuf to add a windscreen but it still don't protect you as well from the elements as a faring

as already posted... continuous high speed on the nekid eats up fuel, a bike that gets better than 50mpg floggin it in the tight twisties drops to the mid 30s at a constant 80mph on the highway

the SV also is very limited in cargo and accessory space

for many reasons, I now have a V-strom 1000, more space, better milage on the highway with a 1000, better weather protection

but, its a big bike, not so easy to handle as the SV

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON