Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

"Towing" a locked motorcycle

"Towing" a locked motorcycle

So I need to get a ruling, or a general idea of what the rules are- My University's parking service is about as bi-polar as your grandma after 4 Eggnogg's on Christmas, and will constantly change their idea as to what is suitable parking arrangements. Leaving alone the fact that the parking situation here is complete shit and that they need to stop giving up 1/4 of our biggest commuter lot to the fucking marching band, caving in and spending a ton of money because the LGBTA does a sit in in a library for a week, or wasting the money we pay for parking passes on making the teachers' lots look pretty, they tow cars that they deem unsuitably park faster than your knocks back glasses of wine when your afore mentioned grandmother is visiting, at the drop of a hat.

That said, motorcycles generally park on the quad and are usually left alone if they park elsewhere. The local tow trucks are all hook and dolly types, and won't mess with our bikes. I lock the steering column on my street bike, and I carry a Kryptonite U-lock that I put through the rear wheel/chain/sprockets on my street legal dirty- not bulletproof, but a royal pain in the ass if you're trying to move it on your own. Today I had a security guy threaten to tow me if I parked on the grass on a different campus, so I graciously moved to a different lot, parked on the grass, and put my u-lock through my fork and a bolt on a cement post- it'll only be there for 1.5 hours and he's not going to check, but I want to know- what is the general rule on towing motorcycles?

What can/can't they do to your bike? I know they could clamp another lock on it and make your life miserable that way but as far as moving them goes.....?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: "Towing" a locked motorcycle

Quote Originally Posted by khuygie88 View Post
    I parked my bike on the grass...will they tow it?

fixed

I think the "general rule" is going to depend entirely on the policies of the property you're parking on, in your case the university. I suggest you contact someone relevant there.

In the meantime, just do what New Yorkers do. Park where you want, put a cover over the bike, chain the cover in place, and if possible chain the covered bike to something else. That makes it way too much trouble for them to even check your license plate, let alone try to tow the bike.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by KawiSmurf View Post
    fixed
    Ha, they're not going to tow shit the way I have it locked. They don't tow at this campus anyway- I'm actually more curious about the other campus.

Ha, they're not going to tow shit the way I have it locked. They don't tow at this campus anyway- I'm actually more curious about the other campus.
    Really..............HAahahahaha when they Hook that on the swing truck and its bumpin and grindin all over I bet will think Diff..............lolololol You could have the wheels off it and they still would swing it off the back Ive seen many get towed and its UGLY...

I ain't got no college.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Just bustin' yer balls, bud. I'm actually surprised at the level of strictness on your campus with regards to bikes, but I guess the campuses I was at were probably just really liberal on the whole idea. We could literally park them right by the entrances to the main buildings if we wanted, no hassles. Cars on the other hand were ticketed relentlessly, even for simple stuff like parking over the lines. Bikes just seemed to be given a free pass.

I definitely agree with Mark though, the more of a hassle you make it, the less they'll want to bother with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    I ain't got no college.
    "I don't have any college."

There you go. That'll be $12k for tuition, please.

hahaha

Alright jokers, I guess more of what I'm asking is what extent they're allowed to damage your shit if they decide they want to move it?? If they're busting off the forks just to move a bike that is in no one's way, or cutting locks so they can move it elsewhere... at what point does them damaging your property become too much?

hahaha

Alright jokers, I guess more of what I'm asking is what extent they're allowed to damage your shit if they decide they want to move it?? If they're busting off the forks just to move a bike that is in no one's way, or cutting locks so they can move it elsewhere... at what point does them damaging your property become too much?

Never.....thats the problem. U are parked Illegal or in the wrong place they can tow your shit asap and I am sure the same shitty RentaCop or Campus Cowboy will Help.....I know mine got yanked at SSC for no sticker???

Just bustin' yer balls, bud. I'm actually surprised at the level of strictness on your campus with regards to bikes, but I guess the campuses I was at were probably just really liberal on the whole idea.
    Yeah, they're usually pretty cool about it. If you park out of the way by a few of the buildings or under an overhang, they'll leave you alone as long as its not in the way of major foot traffic. As the quantity of riders drops off though (they think the season is ended?!!) they're being a bit more of a pain... figuring that we don't have the strength in numbers or something?? First week of school in nice weather=25+ bikes stretched across the top of the entire quad. Now, a big day means 5 bikes there!

I am sure that they would NOT be responsible for any damage occurred while removing an illegally parked vehicle any time.

Many time the landlord gets money from the tow operator when they get someone towed so they would WANT to tow your vehicle.

My favorite was NYC would tow bikes that were backed into the curb as they were not parked properly as a car would be parallel to the flow of traffic....KACHING I think that was like $400

I still don't know why you peasants don't recognize the purpose is to take your money and shut up and pay up

"I don't have any college."

There you go. That'll be $12k for tuition, please.
    What skool you go?

I get offended by people who cry they've been offended

Quote Originally Posted by ChicknStripEatr View Post
    What skool you go?

I learned all I needed to know from a guy in a van down by the river.

Equal opportnity offender Lxpony's Avatar

The biggest kick in the balls here is that you are actually paying them to tow your bike (your tuitions costs).. doesnt that just suck??

hey khuygie88 ,

I as well park my bike on the corner of the quad or under the overhang. . is it there that your starting to have issues with parking services or other universities, not that one?

Nivek

"if you arn't riding like your on rails, then your sight seeing"

I've seen a bike in a very minor accident where the rider went to the hospital. Bike had some very minor cosmetics. They hooked the winch up to the frame and slid it up onto the flatbed; snapping off the mirror and clip, ripping off the farring and bending the footpeg down. They just don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by nivek View Post
    hey khuygie88 ,

I as well park my bike on the corner of the quad or under the overhang. . is it there that your starting to have issues with parking services or other universities, not that one?
    Bay Campus is where they were giving me trouble most recently. On the quad on main campus, someone official (dunno who or what part of the university) has talked to me. I didn't know whether they were saying GTFO or just commenting on how few riders there were... yet we continue to park there. Friggin parking is 75% of the reason that I almost always ride to the main campus anyway! Rain or shine!

What do you ride? I have one bike or the other there almost everyday, but only in for a bit in the AM.

Bay Campus is where they were giving me trouble most recently. On the quad on main campus, someone official (dunno who or what part of the university) has talked to me. I didn't know whether they were saying GTFO or just commenting on how few riders there were... yet we continue to park there. Friggin parking is 75% of the reason that I almost always ride to the main campus anyway! Rain or shine!

What do you ride? I have one bike or the other there almost everyday, but only in for a bit in the AM.
    Right now i'm there on monday and wednesday all day, i ride the black buell 1125r. on friday i have one class in the a.m.

yeah i have never heard anything, i try to always park on the cement, but once in a while there is alot of bikes when i show up.

I'm in the same boat, b/c of traffic, my commute is almost an hour and parking sucks so i try to always ride my bike to campus.

the only security that i do is wire rope lock my gear to my bike. . .

Last edited by nivek; 10-19-10 at 09:37 AM.
    Nivek

"if you arn't riding like your on rails, then your sight seeing"

I had a similar situation at the school I go to. When I got hassled for parking my motorcycle out of the way (and freeing up a car-space for someone else). I e-mailed the parking people and complained. I reccomend that you do the same.
    You don't have to be a dick to them, just politely and assertively explain that you would like designated motorcycle parking spaces. Here's an excerpt from an e-mail I sent to the parking organization at my college

"I hope you take this into consideration, and address this issue, the next time your
    organization decides on parking strategies. This issue is not going to just go away, because quite frankly, with the increasing congestion on our roads, and rising gas prices, more, and more (uinversity) students will be commuting on motorcycles and mopeds.
    "

I know this isn't the answer you were hoping for, but if you do continue to park your bike on the grass, you will probably end up being a target. Whether it be a target for a revenue-hungry university or a security guard/ police officer/ tow truck driver with a chip on his or her shoulder.

Last edited by Rossco; 10-20-10 at 12:28 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    ...I have your pants!!!

Just tell them you are riding to reduce your carbon footprint

They will all get douche chills and leave you alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post
    Just tell them you are riding to reduce your carbon footprint

They will all get douche chills and leave you alone.
    You've been getting real lippy lately man. You sure that's safe? Did you get your donations out to a democrat yet?

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.