Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Tracer 9 GT 8K Mile update

Lifer

Tracer 9 GT 8K Mile update

The 2021 Yamaha Tracer 9 GT I bought in March 2022 just rolled over 8K, more than some, less than others.

Overall, it is exactly what was advertised, a solid do-it-all. Tours with the bags, sporty without and comfortable on the many roads in Maine that simply omit pavement for miles at a time over hills and down washed out gully’s.

It’s tire time. I’m fairly easy on tires, the wear is really the squaring off and the front is getting at the center wear bars.

I’m looking hard at these. Dunlop Mutant https://www.dunlopmotorcycletires.com/tire-line/mutant/

I’m waiting on a new throttle tube to get to the dealer so they can do a recall service to replace this’d part and reflash the ECU.

The only glitch, which I hope the reflash fixes, is that it stumble off idle and at any slight off-throttle, even at the mildest throttle response setting. I’ll admit it’s annoying, and pretty darn bad when cold.

If you have any other thoughts about what might be causing this, I’m all ears.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Tracer 9 GT 8K Mile update

Don’t know much about the Dunlop Mutants, but the tread pattern doesn’t make a lot of sense to me with the tire profile. For bikes like these, and my Multi, Michelin Power 5’s are the way to go. Excellent dry and wet performance, fantastic life as well.

Glad you’re enjoying it. Really like these bikes.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Lifer

I have the mutants on the CRF250M. They are pretty neat. Made in France. Handle rain and city riding very well. Expensive. Overall, I am happy as I would say they are 90/10 or 95/5 road/dirt tires. For the Yamaha, unless you plan to go a lot on dirt roads, I would choose something like the Michelin Pilot Road 6.

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

+1 for the road 5’s.

I’m about to swap mine out after getting about 12k on them on my FJ09. Rear is near the bars but still “legal” and front is good. Great in the rain, cold & took some true abuse.

I have a set of Dunlop roadsparts going on soon but that’s only because I’m a cheap bastard and got them for a deal

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Crconnor18 View Post
    +1 for the road 5’s.

I’m about to swap mine out after getting about 12k on them on my FJ09. Rear is near the bars but still “legal” and front is good. Great in the rain, cold & took some true abuse.

I have a set of Dunlop roadsparts going on soon but that’s only because I’m a cheap bastard and got them for a deal
    I also have the Road 5's on my FJ-09. They are lasting longer than on my multistrada, but I'm happy with the wear on the multi as well. Excellent tires

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

What the F, did you post anywhere that you had a tracer 9 GT?

Pics? Details?

Ya the fueling thing throws me off…hasn’t Yamaha been doing EFI for awhile?

I was considering it alongside a Vstrom 1050XT

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

I've been jonesing for another bike and the Yamaha XSR bikes are at the top of the list. The one complaint seems to be the fueling so it's not your bike, more a Yammie thing.

No idea on the mutants, but I've been rocking Shinko 705's on the Tiger for almost 50k now. They don't hold me back on the street and are perfect for fire road type situations at a price point that has been great. They'll make almost 12k on the front and 6k on the rear. The only time I put more aggressive dirt tires on it was for the Trans Lab, but the Shinko's would probably have been ok there too. I just wanted something a meatier so I didn't worry as much.

Last edited by e30addict; 09-23-23 at 09:58 AM.
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    I've been jonesing for another bike and the Yamaha XSR bikes are at the top of the list. The one complaint seems to be the fueling so it's not your bike, more a Yammie thing.

No idea on the mutants, but I've been rocking Shinko 705's on the Tiger for almost 50k now. They don't hold me back on the street and are perfect for fire road type situations at a price point that has been great. They'll make almost 12k on the front and 6k on the rear. The only time I put more aggressive dirt tires on it was for the Trans Lab, but the Shinko's would probably have been ok there too. I just wanted something a meatier so I didn't worry as much.
    I have the original fj-09, a 2015, with no fuel controller. The fueling is fine - it is sensitive but not bad. My Multistrada with full power seems even more sensitive because it’s more powerful

Lifer

I was talking with the Service manager at Razee’s where I bought the bike. He mentioned that one of the recall’s they’ll take care of when I bring it in next week involves possible water infiltration and corrosion at the connection between the O2 sensors and main wire harness. That got me thinking. The O2 sensor is pretty exposed and there’s been a lot of wet riding and several weekends where it was outside in the rain in Maine.

I like at the sensor and there is a gap between the wire protective sleeve and where the wires enter the sensor. I cleaned it up and applied a liberal does of WD-40.

Rode today, much better cold and PERFECT when warmed up.

I hit it with more WD-40 after the ride and if it eels to do the trick, I’ll seal up that gap with the same black high temp sealant I use on my pellet stove exhaust.

Things that rely on gasoline, oil, and electronics don’t like water.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

I brought it down to Razee's today. There are 3 recalls plus I'm throwing on a set of Michelin Road 6's. Last night I pulled the O2 sensor and cleaned is with some isopropyl alcohol. It was very dirty. This morning it started right up and the "fast idle when cold" worked flawlessly as I rode it up onto the trailer.

It may not be he "cure" but it certainly seems O2 sensor related.

Hypertarded

Good guys in the service Dept., gotta swing by this afternoon, want to see if they have a factory map for the Duke with the DNA race filter...

I suspect the poor fueling is due to Euro5 emissions. My 1290 was a little rough in the lower RPM's for that reason.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Lifer

Back from Razee’s

The ECU reflash recall work 99% solved the rideability issues. It still doesn’t like cold, but once warmed up even a little, fueling is perfect.

Baby’s got new shoes. Michelin Road 6’s are on, broken in and a darn sight grippier than the Battlax OEM’s.

Headed out in a bit for a few hours and planning on foliage up in Maine this weekend!

Tracer 9 GT 8K Mile update-img_2110-jpg

Last edited by SteveM; 10-15-23 at 01:02 PM.