Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

track bike turned into street?

professional lurker burtonboarder23's Avatar

track bike turned into street?

So i listed the my gsxr on CL as a track only bike as it has never been titled, keyless ignition etc. Got a guy emailing and calling me wanting to turn it back into a street bike... thoughts?

I've filled him in on everything that comes to mind to make it street legal and he still insists he wants the bike, just trying to avoid a situation where i show someone the bike and a few nights later my garage gets broken into and my bike disappears.

Anyone ever sold a dedicated track bike and had someone want it for street

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Could you elaborate on that a bit? Just telling me not to run a specific tire, and giving me no true logical explanation is like telling me I'm going to get my dick sucked tonight, and not by whom."

Re: track bike turned into street?

Do not show it at your house...EVER.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Super-Dooper User ɹǝʍoןandɹǝʍoן's Avatar

where do you sell a track bike if it is not registered to drive down the street ? if you have a truck/trailer, meet him at a public place. it is very simple. is that the point of this thread or are you wondering about the street legal stuff?

current: 06 zx6r, 03 450exc
    sold: 01 gsxr750, 01 RC51, 96 cr500, 98 superhawk, 00 sv650, 78 cb750, 98 dr350, 74 cb125

not sure, i mean i have no issue with selling the bike, it just seems weird that someone would want to buy a track bike and then dump a ton of money into it to make it a street bike. Seems fishy to me

"Could you elaborate on that a bit? Just telling me not to run a specific tire, and giving me no true logical explanation is like telling me I'm going to get my dick sucked tonight, and not by whom."

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Do not show it at your house...EVER.
    No need to worry. Just make sure that when the buyer comes over, your firearm collection is on display near the bike.

Tell him to find another bike. Yours is not worth turning back into a streetbike. Sell it here, fuck craigslist.

yea thats what im leaning towards, just seems like in one way or another its going to f me in the end

Super-Dooper User ɹǝʍoןandɹǝʍoן's Avatar

what is your asking price compared to other "non-track" gsxr's? does it have less miles than average? what if he didn't even ask about the conversion?

current: 06 zx6r, 03 450exc
    sold: 01 gsxr750, 01 RC51, 96 cr500, 98 superhawk, 00 sv650, 78 cb750, 98 dr350, 74 cb125

Why worry about him wanting to convert it? He can put it on display in his living room for all you care. Just do like was already recommended - show it to him somewhere other than your house - and be done with it. Used vehicles are sold "as is" - he buys it, it's his problem, and his perogative to do whatever he wants with it.

(I've never subscribed to the "show it somewhere else" practice, but I understand it.)

Bill Cool --- NEMRR EX #8 --- 2023 NEMRR GTO Champion, 2020-21 LRRS LWSS Champion --- RSP Racing / TTD / MTAG-Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear / Seacoast Sport Cycle

Does Lemon Law apply to this situation? If it is titled as a street vehicle, can he claim rights under the LL that the bike is not inspectable? I don't know anything about this, just throwing fuel to the fire.

Banned
    Wirelessly posted

Every time i have listed a track bike for sale I have stated that I am not interested in answering questions about street conversions. Your phone will not stop ringing for months with stupid fucking questions.

shoot, I'd give you $2grand cash today if i could figure out how to get it to AZ. I miss my gsxr track bike.

Timmy, I love it as well but with a lack of vacation this year id rather see it get used then sit in my garage till the spring.

ended up saying da hell with the guy and just ignored him

Craigs is notorious for Dumb people FYI.....

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I have to say I've sold a lot of bikes on CL and after last year I'm done with it. Having a guy show up 4 hours late @ 11pm and threaten me in a email the next day to put a "hole in my head" is not worth it. And there is nothing like a GSXR to bring out the dirtbags.....

Quote Originally Posted by Pigman View Post
    Craigs is notorious for Dumb people FYI.....
    That it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by duganc1717 View Post
    I have to say I've sold a lot of bikes on CL and after last year I'm done with it. Having a guy show up 4 hours late @ 11pm and threaten me in a email the next day to put a "hole in my head" is not worth it. And there is nothing like a GSXR to bring out the dirtbags.....
    That kind of junk gets forwarded to the police.

So its an 01 thats never been titled?? The tax the buyer is gonna get charged!!!! Holy shit they are gonna pound him with back excise and all that crap. Lol@ the buyer who tries to title and register that one.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post
    So its an 01 thats never been titled?? The tax the buyer is gonna get charged!!!! Holy shit they are gonna pound him with back excise and all that crap. Lol@ the buyer who tries to title and register that one.
    Wasn't there a thread about this recently, where people said they don't do "back taxes" on bikes in MA?

nedirtriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
    Why worry about him wanting to convert it? He can put it on display in his living room for all you care. Just do like was already recommended - show it to him somewhere other than your house - and be done with it. Used vehicles are sold "as is" - he buys it, it's his problem, and his perogative to do whatever he wants with it.

(I've never subscribed to the "show it somewhere else" practice, but I understand it.)
    ^^^this...but if he is a no show you loaded the bike for nothing...i had a CL dude no show to buy a p90x i was selling and i drove to a place in-between our locations to meet him...would have sucked if it was a bike to have to load/unload for nothing...i won't do that again...something small come and get it...something big/expensive meet somewhere close or come get it if it's too much trouble to move

the other thing is if they wanted to find out where you live they could just have another vehicle follow you home after the meeting but that's a little extreme i'm sure

bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

yea i ended up just not calling the guy back. That and with a name like jane smith... idk, maybe i just have trust issues in certain situations

I never had someone no show no call from CL but I guess it's very common. I say forget it man if it's stressing you its ain't worth it.

Have you seen my baseball GingahNinjah's Avatar

Sounds like a waste of a seemingly perfectly good track bike even if it is a Gixxer

https://www.facebook.com/LRRSBT1R #54 EX 2007 SV650 "Work hard. Play harder. Die broke and happy!" Boston Tier 1 Racing Pirelli Tires Woodcraft-CFM Armorbodies Penguin Racing School Vortex Shorai Batteries DP Brakes Riders Discount SIDI Leatt

Quote Originally Posted by burtonboarder23 View Post
    yea i ended up just not calling the guy back. That and with a name like jane smith... idk, maybe i just have trust issues in certain situations
    I feel like you made the right choice. You should always follow that funny, un-trusting gut feeling. It has ALWAYS worked toward my benefit.

yea i'm just going to list it here and NESBA and if someone bites then good, if i have to throw some stabilizer in it and let it sit till spring the its all good as well. CL is just way more of a pain in the ass then its worth

Ebay might not be much better, but I listed a bike locally and on CL. I got jerked around, low-balled and jerked around some more. "I did my homework and research, I'm confident you'll think my offer of $3200 is good"...."I'm not selling you a 5000 dollar bike for 3200 bucks". I put the bike on ebay and it sold for over 5k...I listed it locally for 4800 and would have taken no less than 4600 for it. I even had a friend low-ball me 3500 bucks. I knew exactly what he was gonna do though, flip it and sell it for what I was originally asking.

Of course there are retards on ebay as well. Tried to sell a snowmobile and trailer, the only guy interested had one question about both...what's the address. I asked him when he wanted to come see both, his reply asked for the address again. Gave him the zip code mentioning it would be minutes away. Not good enough for him. Pretty sure a month or two later he got busted for stealing sleds and trailers (a friends sleds were stolen out of his driveway, on the trailer). He'd steal them in one state and sell them in another. He bounced back and forth between ME and CT a lot, but he was all up for a trip to VT for an SRX700 sitting on a 2 place Triton.

in the end use your head, you get an uneasy or "wtf" feeling going on, tell the person giving you that feeling it has been sold. Or ignore 'em.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast