Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Track Day Bike - Theft Insurance? What do you do?

Track Day Bike - Theft Insurance? What do you do?

Looking into insuring - theft only - my track bike, an Aprilia RS660. The bike has never been a street bike, never registered or insured or titled

What's the best way to do this? I assume if it were stolen from my home then my homeowners policy would cover it. But what about at the track or transit?

I'm in Mass so I'm sure that will complicate things

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Track Day Bike - Theft Insurance? What do you do?

No, Most Homeowner's policies won't cover a bike that expensive. Haggerty offers trackday vehicle policies.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Hagerty.

https://www.hagerty.com/insurance/motorcycle-insurance

They do agreed upon fair value and have track use coverages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CCS/LRRS #83

I added my R7 to my home owners policy when I first picked it up. You can use home owners (or my agent in RI was able to add mine) , however it will only be insured while on the property the home is on. If you take it to the track, it will not be covered once it leaves your property. Not that this applies to you as well, but once I got my bike registered for the road, I had to remove it from my homeowners policy, and get an auto policy.

I don’t think Foremost insures in Ma, but if you have a Foremost elite policy, it includes trackday coverage.

Yamaha

My track-only R6 is currently insured for liability along with 5 other road-legal bikes on my policy. Why do I do this? Because it lowers my yearly premium by nearly $100. I'm guessing the fact I said I ride this <1 mile on the street has something to do with it but I have never been questioned on it. Anywho, I have the option to add theft but I have not. My guess is I can easily add theft protection for the R6 on my current motorcycle policy and should it actually get stolen, I assume I would need to surrender the title to them to be reimbursed, so if you don't actually have a title that may be an issue...or maybe not I'm really not sure.

I may be in a unique situation given the quantity of bikes on my policy, but if you already have a bike on a policy, it should be easy to add it using the VIN (that's simply what I did).

FWIW in 17 years averaging 12 TD's per year across the country, I've never had a problem with theft *knocks on wood*. I suppose if I slept in hotels with the bike exposed on a trailer I would have more concerns.

TLDR: You will most likely need to insure it using a motorcycle specific policy from any major provider.