Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

track tire pressure maintenance

track tire pressure maintenance

I've always picked a pressure and tried to maintain it. Like lets say I'll begin the day with 30 psi. Immediately after a session I'll check the psi and deduct pressure to maintain 30. I've been told this is not the right thing to do and I should just set it 1st thing cold and leave it for the rest of the day. Maybe add a pound if it starts to get hot out. What should I be doing? I understand all the carcaus flex stuff and overheating because of it so no need to explain any of that stuff. I figured maintaining a psi was what to do.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Jay
    2013 gixxer 750
    2009 Ducati M1100s
    2017 KTM exc-f 350

Re: track tire pressure maintenance

They'll give you general numbers to set cold, to achieve the correct hot pressure. This is really just a guide though, as the PSI that really matters is when you come right off the track.

If you're looking to run 30 PSI (hot)....I'd probably set it to 25 or 26 cold, then when you come in check it again and adjust accordingly.

Depending on which tire manufacturer you use you will get their different methods of checking tire pressure. Michelin recommends setting your pressure cold and then not messing with it. Pirelli recomminds setting your pressure hot. Your tire pressure will go up as the tire heats up, this is normal. Just use the manufacturers recommended track settings and method.

A couple of the Motorcycle Rags have done some pretty detailed write-ups on Tire Pressure. Unless you have a pyrometer checking pressure cold and then after a getting the tires up to temp is the best way to get close to ideal.

This article is pretty good...

Motorcycle tire pressure for high performance and optimal grip on the track - Sport Rider

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Sounds like the best thing to do is contact Pirelli. Thanks.

Jay
    2013 gixxer 750
    2009 Ducati M1100s
    2017 KTM exc-f 350

Quote Originally Posted by Jayspeed View Post
    Sounds like the best thing to do is contact Pirelli. Thanks.
    Absolutely. Tire companies are extremely helpful and informative about tires in general and their tires specifically. Especially after the whole ford explorer blowout saga a few years back.

Ask me about Total Control ARC Level 1 and Level 2
    in Troy, NY and Loudon, NH
    John

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSVg3Gg4LmA
    '02 GL1800A Silver (Track Toy)
    '12 Striple R

"I hope I always have a little more skill than stupidity"...Lee Parks

Quote Originally Posted by wingerdor View Post
    Absolutely. Tire companies are extremely helpful and informative about tires in general and their tires specifically. Especially after the whole ford explorer blowout saga a few years back.
    I agree, assuming you get to speak with a real tech/someone knowledgeable I have been given alot of good info just shooting the shit with tire guys. In my experience it has been for mx or downhill mountain biking but still they would suggest a pressure for a certain course that I would have assumed to be crazy and it would really work out.

Thanks for asking the question, I'm searching for answers as well with this. I got 1 rain day, and 1 "normal" day out of a 2CT rear. It might last another day (mounting up another set on the spare rims in case). It's not melted or really shagged, the wear bars are just getting close on the edges.

It just didn't seem like enough wear, and I was wondering if it was pressures as well. I know the fact that it's a 600 class bike, with a rider on it who can claim they weight almost double what some of you little bastards weigh has something to do with it.

The bike it's geared +2 in the back (the way I got it), add in a drop of newbie and that may have something to do with the situation as well?

I may just run regular powers and see if the softer compound on the edge of the 2CT is the culprit. I have heard it said that there are people who run low 20's with regular powers...so, by that, I'm not fast enough to need the 2ct anyway.

Will the Pro's that Tony is selling last longer then this I wonder?

As far as temps, this is what Karaya One when I asked (Obviously, for Michelin):
    Base cold track pressures should be 30F and 28R. You then adjust for ambient temps. You should have a temp rise of 5 psi average. Anymore, then raise you cold pressure 1 psi at a time.

"You then adjust for ambient temps. You should have a temp rise of 5 psi average. Anymore, then raise you cold pressure 1 psi at a time. "

This is one question I'll ask them, thanks.

Jay
    2013 gixxer 750
    2009 Ducati M1100s
    2017 KTM exc-f 350

Quote Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
    Thanks for asking the question, I'm searching for answers as well with this. I got 1 rain day, and 1 "normal" day out of a 2CT rear. It might last another day (mounting up another set on the spare rims in case). It's not melted or really shagged, the wear bars are just getting close on the edges.

It just didn't seem like enough wear, and I was wondering if it was pressures as well. I know the fact that it's a 600 class bike, with a rider on it who can claim they weight almost double what some of you little bastards weigh has something to do with it.

The bike it's geared +2 in the back (the way I got it), add in a drop of newbie and that may have something to do with the situation as well?

I may just run regular powers and see if the softer compound on the edge of the 2CT is the culprit. I have heard it said that there are people who run low 20's with regular powers...so, by that, I'm not fast enough to need the 2ct anyway.

Will the Pro's that Tony is selling last longer then this I wonder?

As far as temps, this is what Karaya One when I asked (Obviously, for Michelin):
    I love my bike. Duc 800ss and It ran a whole season on one set of tires like 12 races plus practices and 2 trackdays!

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

A fellow from Pirelli suggested that I should set my cold temps 32 front, 28 rear. I then asked what to do with the psi as the day gets warmer and he had no advice. I asked about temperature rise and at what point should I add psi to cool the tire. He looked at me with 2 heads( I could see through the phone). Anyways, with these new cold pressures, my front psi will be alot higher than I'm use to so we'll see how it feels. I hope it doesn't feel like a bowlingball.

Jay
    2013 gixxer 750
    2009 Ducati M1100s
    2017 KTM exc-f 350