Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Traded the RSV4

Traded the RSV4

This happened about 3 weeks ago.

I had been perusing the interwebs for a good used hypermotard this summer after having ridden Darkduc's last year. Used hypers seem to be only just easier to find than a unicorn it seemed. A few came up but were gone pretty quick before I had decided to part ways with the V4. I loved the look and sound of the RSV4, but I just couldn't convince myself to keep it any longer. It wasn't as comfortable with a passenger as my 848 was, the closest dealer was 3 hours away, and getting 60-65 miles on a tank before the gas light came on wasn't really my cup of tea.

I finally found a 2008 1100S at National Powersports and I was able to make a deal with our own RyanNicholson over the phone. Nate, Ryan and Chris were super great to deal with and the whole process could not have gone easier. The whole shop was a neat experience and it was definitely the easier sale through a dealer that I have ever gone through (the only time I've left with a dealer giving me money too). The hyper was also the cleanest used bike I have ever seen. It was a bone stock 1100S with only 5667 miles on it with fresh tires and oil. Did I mention it was spotless?

Fast forward almost three weeks and I've put over 800 miles on the hyper. I found a surprise in the form of a speedymoto pressure plate and added a open clutch cover that I made myself (donor cover courtesy of doc). Darkduc sold me on the fatduc O2 manipulator and helped me tune it. I also just added the ducati performance comfort low seat this weekend from the tent sale at cyclewise. The girlfriend and I have already done a bit of riding on it together and we love it. It's super fun to ride, super easy to ride, and so much fun in the corners, better gas mileage and cheaper on insurance. I couldn't be happier with my trade.

I'd love to add an exhaust but that'll have to wait due to the price of slip-ons. I also found that fairings do a huge job in diverting wind in cold weather which the hyper has none of. I think I'll add hand warmers soon because I often drive home from work in the early morning hours and it's starting to get cool.

oh, and Gino, I finally have a bike thats not white

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Traded the RSV4

I'm kind of shocked to hear a positive report from two up riding. Either way, if you both enjoy it more power to you! That thing is beautiful.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

compared to what we were doing it on before, this thing is a dream for 2 up riding.

The 6-gallon gas tank from CA Cycleworks is a nice addition to those. Gives it some real range.

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

xxaarraa

Very nice, congratulations! Does it have the "safety pack" with TC/ABS or is that only on the 2013s?

Congrats looks Killer...............

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

Congrats ... love my '12 Hyper 796. I've read good reviews of the '13 liquid cooled, but I gotta see fins. I definitely recommend the CA Cycleworks tank, 6.4 gallons, and the Fabbri Screen is a must IMO. It's a small screen that deflects a lot of wind with no added turbulence in my experience.
    http://www.pjsparts.com/catalog/prod...oducts_id=1343

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by whynot; 08-29-13 at 05:46 AM.
    And don't believe everything you think.

Eatibus almost anythingus Marc R's Avatar

Congrats on the Hyper!

I've pondered what my next bike might be to replace my '06 Multi, the Hyper would be on the short list. The hyper would need something for cold weather riding, maybe the Hyperstrada wind screen? Curious to hear what works for you on cold days.

So jealous...

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

LOL....

nice color!

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    The 6-gallon gas tank from CA Cycleworks is a nice addition to those. Gives it some real range.

PhilB
    I looked into that. It would be nice but its pricey. I'm surprised that I have been able to get about 115-120 miles on the tank before the gas light comes on at .5 gallons remaining. Thats a little over 40 mpg which is a nice change from the RSV4.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc R View Post
    Congrats on the Hyper!

I've pondered what my next bike might be to replace my '06 Multi, the Hyper would be on the short list. The hyper would need something for cold weather riding, maybe the Hyperstrada wind screen? Curious to hear what works for you on cold days.
    There is a local guy with a 2011 Hyper Evo SP that has that little fly screen or something like it. He claims it makes a huge difference for upper body wind. Darkduc swears by hand warmers which I'm hoping to add in the next few weeks. Theres not much for leg protection on it so I'll just get some overpants probably.

Quote Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
    Very nice, congratulations! Does it have the "safety pack" with TC/ABS or is that only on the 2013s?
    thats only on the 13's. These old ones have much less in the way of electronics.

Hypertarded

great choice, still loving mine, I'll have it until I die

Quote Originally Posted by jcbell1007 View Post
    I'd love to add an exhaust but that'll have to wait due to the price of slip-ons.
    I've got a spare brand new, never installed Ducati race ECU I'm looking to sell, save you some $$$ on the exhaust upgrade. Let me know if interested.

Enjoy it

I test drove the 2013 Hyper last week at Seacoast. I'm interested in owning a 2nd bike different from the Panigale. The Hyper is so easy to ride but would be nice if it had more grunt. The Hyper SP is wrapped around my head right now and trying to decide if I should go for a 2013 or wait to see if Ducati comes out with an 1100 Hyper for 2014 with more HP and Torque. I didn't know you can swap out the tank for a larger one. It is a pain to go to fill-up the Panigale every weekend.

Westford, MA
    Own: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale
    Past: 2012 Monster 1100 Evo

Quote Originally Posted by SuperGmoney View Post
    It is a pain to go to fill-up the Panigale every weekend.
    I have to fill up my RSV4 2-3 times per ride...haha

New bike looks cool, good luck with it! Does it put as big a smile on your face as the RSV4 did?

Yamaha

It is a pain to go to fill-up the Panigale every weekend.
    Surely the groundskeeper could take care of such an unpleasantry?

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Quote Originally Posted by carsick View Post
    Surely the groundskeeper could take care of such an unpleasantry?
    Yeah or Mr. Higgins

I test drove the 2013 Hyper last week at Seacoast. I'm interested in owning a 2nd bike different from the Panigale. The Hyper is so easy to ride but would be nice if it had more grunt. The Hyper SP is wrapped around my head right now and trying to decide if I should go for a 2013 or wait to see if Ducati comes out with an 1100 Hyper for 2014 with more HP and Torque. I didn't know you can swap out the tank for a larger one. It is a pain to go to fill-up the Panigale every weekend.
    That's a good deal of why I didn't like the new HyperMotard nearly as much as the old one. The HM1100 had *lots* of grunt, and a lot more attitude as well.

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

PhilB is right on that one. The 1100 has so much torque down low. I read that the new 821 or whatever it is, is a bit of a top end rush to get the hp and torque numbers. The 1100 starts out like a tractor, but after 4k rpms, its just a wave of go mixed with some front tire raising that will get your attention real quick.

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    I have to fill up my RSV4 2-3 times per ride...haha

New bike looks cool, good luck with it! Does it put as big a smile on your face as the RSV4 did?
    Its like I got a new lease on riding when I didn't have to fill up at 65 miles. I found out that mine had a 1 tooth lower front sprocket when I got the service records and I think that contributed some to it as well as the engine.

and yes, this thing has put a huge grin on my face. I've never really had anything but a sportbike and so far this hyper has been incredible for me. It corners like it's on rails, feels even more stable mid corner than my rsv4 did, and it's so easy and forgiving throw around.

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

Another good item is the Throttle Tamer throttle tube --
    http://www.g2ergo.com/

I like the stock exhaust, the styling is built around it, and it sounds like a Ducati under load, but quiet when maintaining steady speeds. Sure, a header would be nice, but I don't think I'll bother.

Also, I'd recommend joining the forum at ducati.ms, maybe you are already a member, lots of good info in the Hyper sub-forum there.

Last edited by whynot; 08-29-13 at 08:00 AM.
    And don't believe everything you think.

xxaarraa

Undertail exhaust, SSA, dry clutch. Now that is a 'proper' Ducati! Yes, I am one of those antiquated "purists" that bitch about Ducati's becoming more mainstream these days with their dual arms, Ninja 650 style pipes and wet clutch sillyness.

Last edited by xxaarraa; 08-29-13 at 06:14 PM.

It is a proper Ducati and my first Ducati with a dry clutch.

I've joined ducati.ms, but I can't post for some reason. I can only login and view stuff. It's weird. I'm also on Ducati.org.

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

I wonder if dhawks will chime in here, he just got the new one and supposedly LOVES it.

CCS/LRRS #83

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast