Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Trading the V-Strom for a new Bonneville?

Trading the V-Strom for a new Bonneville?

Talk me off the ledge here.

So the story goes: I've been looking for something a little less cumbersome to take a passenger on. I usually put the lady on the pillion of my V1000, but I'm not completely comfortable with the way the bike handles with a full load - me, her, hard panniers, tank bag, full tank of gas. So I went to look at an Indian Scout which I really liked. Yesterday I and the lady went to look at a Triumph Thunderbird, specifically the Storm ABS model. I sat on a few but they were pretty heavy still. Although they were much better with a passenger on be back.

So that brings me to my current situation. They had a new Street Twin in the showroom. It's the silver with burgundy stripe and it is absolutely gorgeous. They even started it up for me and it sounds as lovely as it looks. So I hopped on and she hopped on the back. It definitely was a wee bit small but manageable. It felt light and nimble and the low center of gravity felt much better than my V. However I know that on longer trips it won't be as good as my V or as a larger cruiser. However I've fallen in love with the soul of that bike. I feel like the V can be soulless at times. There are bags for the Bonnie which makes it more manageable for longer trips. I know it doesn't do some things as well as my V but it does check some boxes that the V can't as well.

Am so crazy for comparing apples and oranges, or should I seriously consider it?

Pic of the Bonnie:

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Trading the V-Strom for a new Bonneville?

Having ridden both a DL650 and a Bonneville with my wife on the back, I don't think I'd ever own a Bonneville if I was doing serious 2-up riding. It's just way too cramped compared to the V-Strom. My wife had next to no room on the Bonnie, and she's only 5'5" 120lbs...I can't imagine trying to cram her and luggage on it. The Strom was SO much more comfortable for long distance riding with the two of us, and it already had a tailbag.

I'd easily take a Strom over a Bonnie for 2-up riding any day of the week.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Lifer

You're talking about how the DL handles the load at a stop? Or underway?

If underway, maybe consider throwing some money at that rear shock. The rear shock on the DL is not exactly top shelf. Upping the spring rate and going for something with some better dampening may improve the handling substantially. I know it did for me on my 650.

My barely informed $0.02 says that Bonnie looks like a fun bike.. but not for 2-up touring. No way. It doesn't even have a rear rack (which your DL1k has).

If it scratches your itch, there's only one thing to do. Life is just too short.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Life is just too short.
    This man is not wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post

If underway, maybe consider throwing some money at that rear shock. The rear shock on the DL is not exactly top shelf. Upping the spring rate and going for something with some better dampening may improve the handling substantially. I know it did for me on my 650.

My barely informed $0.02 says that Bonnie looks like a fun bike.. but not for 2-up touring. No way. It doesn't even have a rear rack (which your DL1k has).
    The Bonnie has an optional rear rack you can buy. It extends off the back of the seat. It's still cramped IMO.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

A friend of mine who's 6'4" toured across the continent on a 2001 Bonnie, with his wife on the back. It can be done.

The Strom will be a little more comfortable for your wife, though you can always get a king & queen seat for the Bonnie to give her a more comfortable pillion seat.

I own a Bonnie and have owned a V-Strom 650, and can say from experience that the Bonnie is by far the more fun bike and has loads more character, but it's definitely not as easy to ride long distances as the Strom. The lack of any wind protection just makes it more tiring. Of course, that can be addressed.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

That Bonnie is hot. But it's not a 2 upper. I struck a happy place with my hyperstrada. Super visceral to ride, plus great bags stock, and pleasant enough 2 up.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Handling underway isn't really a problem. Although the stock shock is barely adequate for two up touring, it works. It's more of the low speed stuff. There's a very narrow balance point with the V, and it makes it a bit sketchy at lower speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    The Bonnie has an optional rear rack you can buy. It extends off the back of the seat. It's still cramped IMO.
    The rear rack and a set of the waxed cotton bags would be a must.

Quote Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
    I own a Bonnie and have owned a V-Strom 650, and can say from experience that the Bonnie is by far the more fun bike and has loads more character, but it's definitely not as easy to ride long distances as the Strom. The lack of any wind protection just makes it more tiring. Of course, that can be addressed.

--mark
    The fact that you still own the Bonnie says a lot. As far as comfort is concerned, my knees already get stiff on long rides on the V. Maybe I just have shitty knees.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    That Bonnie is hot. But it's not a 2 upper. I struck a happy place with my hyperstrada. Super visceral to ride, plus great bags stock, and pleasant enough 2 up.
    Thanks for the heads up. The Hyper is a great bike that I'll check out as well.

Quote Originally Posted by LXnastynotch93 View Post
    Handling underway isn't really a problem. Although the stock shock is barely adequate for two up touring, it works. It's more of the low speed stuff. There's a very narrow balance point with the V, and it makes it a bit sketchy at lower speeds.
    uh!, I think my Vee is very stable and well balanced at low speeds

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

That's because your tires are square.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    That's because your tires are square.
    I haven't been on the Darkside in 2 years and btw, squishy sidewalls of a car tire make it more tippy at low speeds

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Lifer

An Honest Review of The Triumph Bonneville - YouTube

a little out dated, hopefully this guys complaints have been sorted.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Ahhhh, I forgot about that gem ^

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    An Honest Review of The Triumph Bonneville - YouTube

a little out dated, hopefully this guys complaints have been sorted.
    Just an FYI, I believe the bonneville the OP is considering is a completely new, water cooled model. I'd love to hear what he thinks if he rides it. Is that the 900 or the bigger one?

Last edited by Spooler; 03-02-16 at 05:53 AM.
    2019 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE
    2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Quote Originally Posted by Spooler View Post
    Just an FYI, I believe the bonneville the OP is considering is a completely new, water cooled model. I'd love to hear what he thinks if he rides it. Is that the 900 or the bigger one?
    That is correct it is the new water cooled motor. It's the 900cc motor. The T120 isn't really my style to be honest. I like the sportier looks of the Street Twin.

I could never get past the way they press those tanks together and leave the seam exposed like that. The older monsters had that too and I just can't.
    Trivial, I know. Shallow, too.
    That's pretty much my only gripe. Everything else can be upgraded, and I know they make some black hider strips to cover it up, but it's still bogus.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

I've been sitting on it and I'm thinking that the smart decision is to stop being a poon and learn how to ride the VStrom at low speeds when it's loaded down.