Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

traffic getting worse???

traffic getting worse???

Maybe it is just the end of summer getting to everyone on the roads, but I have had more close calls in the last week then at any other time this year.

I am always alert when I ride, and can generally tell what other drivers are going to do in advance, but lately people have been doing the most unexpected things on the highway. Last week I get break checked by some chick who thinks its her job to change lanes on an open highway, and slow down bikes in the fast lane.
    Yesterday I got merged into across 2 lanes and had to bail to the white line and split traffic just to avoid becoming a trucks hood ornament. Today some douche decides that since I am only using half my lane, he will use the other half.

Anyone else seeing this on their commute???

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I like cats.......but I can't eat a whole one by myself.

traffic getting worse???

I get that shit everyday I commute. I was thinking, isn't that "deadly force"?

traffic getting worse???

YES - you must ride on 495 or 128 in the mornings.

I am also noticing people's habits becoming much worse. It is making me a MUCH more defensive rider and my anticipation scanning skills have become sharper.

traffic getting worse???

It's night and day from since the first day of school. I ride in on route 1 in Lynnfield and you have to be very alert. I'm constantly covering the front brake and finger on horn in case someone comes over. Still beats driving in a cage.

traffic getting worse???

I was also thinking today, why is it that many drivers seem very offended if you filter up through traffic on a bike? Congestion is a result of vehicles taking up space -- they should be happy we're not taking up more space with a cage.

traffic getting worse???

^^^^^ Are you talking about lane splitting or just playing "checkers"?

traffic getting worse???

Either, but nothing that is dangerous per se. Like rolling up front at a red light. People trying to pinch you out, tossing coffee at you. Shit like that.

traffic getting worse???

Ya know - i very very rarely will lane split and try not to weave in and out. If i feel it is in my best interest to say get in front of a semi that is tossing me around like a rag doll then I will - but I try to stay in one lane

traffic getting worse???

I have been driving Rt3....495 is better than this.....getting sick of all the gawkers.....like they've never seen police cars, or dump trucks....
    and I just want to reach out and slap the next woman I see putting on makeup and driving............like they want to look perfect for the officer that resonds to their accident.

traffic getting worse???

Where in MA are you from?

traffic getting worse???

I commute from Nashua, just moved up there.

traffic getting worse???

Cool - i commute from Westborough to Milford, NH - 495 to Route 3 or 111....i try and avoid the highway at all costs

traffic getting worse???

I only do a small bit of 495 during rush hours, from rt.2 north to Westford, but I've always considered it a deadly combat zone. I also do Rt.2 from 495 west to Lunenburg, and that's a free-for-all too.

Crazy shyte, I tell ya.

traffic getting worse???

nice ride, I used to commute from Westford to framingham, 495 to rt 9....liked that ride a lot better, at least the going speed on 495 was about 90.

If I could find a good job in NH I would kiss the great communist state of MA goodbye.

At least I can still ride the white mountains with little to no hassle.

traffic getting worse???

whats checkers, never heard that term before. I'm thinking its getting up to the front of the line at a light

traffic getting worse???

I generally hang around the city, especially since lately all my riding buddies are out hurt, but man, with all the kiddies back in school DAMN. One thing I've learned, if the car has NY plates in the city, watch out. I had a good one on storrow, nothing dangerous, but just a guy being a dipshit. I was coming off 93 and coming up through that little tunnel on storrow, and of course they had a lane closed for a concert, so Im staying to the right part of the right lane. Some dipshit stayed to the left of me, mostly just off my tail section, but close. At one point he literally pulled directly next to me IN MY LANE. I just looked back and stared at him, like seriously, is there any need to be so close that you need to be directly next to me in traffic?

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Goodbye Sweet Dreams BLACK SQUIRREL's Avatar

traffic getting worse???

Always the Same. before Summer Really starts and And After the Summer is Over No one even looks for bikes anymore.

Zip Tie Alley Racing #444

Signature edit by Tricky mike

traffic getting worse???

Quote Originally Posted by Zed View Post
    I only do a small bit of 495 during rush hours, from rt.2 north to Westford, but I've always considered it a deadly combat zone. I also do Rt.2 from 495 west to Lunenburg, and that's a free-for-all too.

Crazy shyte, I tell ya.
    I'm with ya on that one Zed, I commute Rt. 2 from Gardner to Ayer and back everyday at rush hour. Pure mayhem...... it's almost attempted suicide sometimes.

Go Big or Go Home!

2000 Ducati 900SS
    1992 CBR 600 F2 (sold)

traffic getting worse???

I recently read an article in the Globe that said per square mile 495 is one of the most dangerous highways in the country. SCARY! To think we ride it everyday

traffic getting worse???

I had to deal with two porcupines this morning on my commute. They were about 20 feet apart walking up the middle of the dirt road. Bastards didn't even move when I came up behind them on the KLR, they just kept on waddling down the road. I had to go to the side of them, they were unphased.

Then I stopped and talked to two dogs that I see every morning. Instead of driving by like normal, I stopped, opened my visor and let them smell my hand while I chatted them up. Nice big black lab and a gorgeous Husky. I'll bring them treats tomorrow morning as it's my final commute to the brewery and I won't be going that way anymore. I'll miss them at 6am in the middle of nowhere sitting in the road like they are having a secret dog meeting.

Last week on the dirt road I saw a chihuahua going full bore balls to the wall up the road, in the dark, in the middle of nowhere, at 6AM. He didn't even care about my truck, he just kept crankin along like he was late for somewhere. Houses nearby? None.....

To the guy on the Honda 919 in shorts/t-shirt last week on Rt.2 west near Templeton/Athol:

Yes, you did see a KLR with a milk crate doing 90. You don't have to pull up next to me after finally catching up when I slowed for the exit and give me a thumbs up. I already know I'm awesome.

To the guy on the mid-year red VFR in the same spot yesterday:

Yes, I saw you signal me to move out of the passing lane so you could rocket by. Then once the truck in front of both of us moved aside, you got small. Very small. Yes, it's a dirtbike. Yes, it has less than 40hp. And yes, it handles just fine on grooved pavement unlike your VFR obviously. Next time realize that the guy in front of you is probably waiting for someone to move out of the way too.

I wonder who/what I'll see on tonight's right home......

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

traffic getting worse???

^^^^ You really let the dog smell your ass not your hand right?? You don't have to keep secrets between NESRians....haha

I always come home with stories from my commutes to and from work. I feel like by the time i get to work I am already stressed out....just from traffic.

traffic getting worse???

Iglu..............thanks for the laugh..........

I guess I will suck it up and deal with it after what you have to deal with........

I would have stopped and checked the Chuhaha for mods...... then forwarded thm to the guy with the VFR.

Thanks again!

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

traffic getting worse???

Quote Originally Posted by ChR1s View Post
    I was also thinking today, why is it that many drivers seem very offended if you filter up through traffic on a bike? Congestion is a result of vehicles taking up space -- they should be happy we're not taking up more space with a cage.
    Actually, congestion is caused by drivers riding too close to the next vehicle and hitting their brakes. It causes a chain reaction that slows everyone down.

It also causes more accidents.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

traffic getting worse???

Most post was 100% truth. My commutes are VERY interesting being out so far!

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

traffic getting worse???

Quote Originally Posted by cbrburns View Post
    I'm with ya on that one Zed, I commute Rt. 2 from Gardner to Ayer and back everyday at rush hour. Pure mayhem...... it's almost attempted suicide sometimes.
    gardner to ayer? haha, good one! come back when you have a big boy's commute.

edit: just to put it in perspective.. you have a dream commute for most rt 2 travelers. not very far distance wise, no major intersecting highways, no traffic lights and no rotaries. my rt 2 commute has two major intersecting highways, 8 traffic lights, and a rotary and it still beats commuting from the north shore down 128 to waltham.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast