Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Need to trailer bike - Uhaul?

Need to trailer bike - Uhaul?

So I am currently looking for an F4i, most of the ones I am looking at happen to be 50+ miles away...

That being said I would need to trailer it back to my house. Has anyone used a UHAUL trailer before to trailer a bike? Is it possible?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Re: Need to trailer bike - Uhaul?

Quote Originally Posted by kazspeed View Post
    So I am currently looking for an F4i, most of the ones I am looking at happen to be 50+ miles away...

That being said I would need to trailer it back to my house. Has anyone used a UHAUL trailer before to trailer a bike? Is it possible?
    I have seen people use u-haul trailers. It's the same as any other trailer.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

I used one of the normal, open trailers to haul an SV 4 hours. Used 4 tie downs and didn't have any problems. I believe some locations even have motorcycle trailers.

'06 Triumph Sprint ST ABS
    '90 Yamaha XT350

Yeah... just look it up on the Uhaul website. Find a location that has a bike trailer. or, worst case scenario, get an open trailer like Chuck said and like SV650N said, just use 4 tiedowns.

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Giggity: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Uhaul trailers are $14.95 a day. Almost rented one, but I ended up getting my trailer built in time

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/Eq....aspx?model=MT

the MT trailers work great. also, the newer version of the 5'x9' ramp trailers actually have a chock built right into the nose - i think the trailer number ends in "B" on the new ones. they aren't listed separately online, but about half of the uhaul locations in mass i've been to have one available.

- Jamie
    2009 K 1300 S

Quote Originally Posted by drop View Post
    http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/Eq....aspx?model=MT

the MT trailers work great. also, the newer version of the 5'x9' ramp trailers actually have a chock built right into the nose - i think the trailer number ends in "B" on the new ones. they aren't listed separately online, but about half of the uhaul locations in mass i've been to have one available.

Wow didn't realize they had motorcycle specific trailers. I looked at the generic website and didn't see it, but put in my location and the one down the street has one.

Problem solved, thanks!

I use U-Haul trailers for every track day. The motorcycle specific ones are the best to use, because the tailgate is the ramp, but not every location has one. I used the regular open 4x7 utility trailer once, and my bike fit nice and snug, but the tailgate does not drop down all the way, so you'll need a seperate ramp to get the bike on and off.

The walls of the motorcycle trailers are very low, so it may not feel secure, you just have to make sure your shit's tied down tight...hard to do, because the two I've rented (from two different locations) did not have tie-down hooks. Very disappointing for a trailer designed for that specific purpose. The 4x7 has great tie-down points built in, and the walls are a lot higher, you just need to make sure you pack that extra ramp.

The 5x9 Jamie mentioned seems to be the best of both worlds, so that's the one I'm gonna look for next time out.
    EDIT: Nevermind, just saw that the 5x9 weighs twice as much as the 4x7, I won't be pulling that in my car.

Last edited by KawiSmurf; 10-12-10 at 09:41 AM.

Bullshit meter pegged scottfromboston's Avatar

A friend rented a motorcycle-specific one to tow his R6 from CA to CO... towed fine, but there were no real tie-down points, so that was a pain. Also, the ramp is pretty draggy which may be an issue with smaller cars. I saw a 4X7 Utility model at my last track day and it looked like worked pretty well.

~Scott
    2020 SMC-R

I spoke too soon....they said they didn't have one currently at the location near me but would do their best to get one.

Gave them a call....no such luck.

What locations in Massachusetts have the motorcycle specific trailer?

What locations in Massachusetts have the motorcycle specific trailer?
    If you use that link and put in your zip, it should come up with a list of places that have it in stock. You'll need to enter your basic vehicle info, but that's just so you know what you should be able to tow.

From where to where? I have a pickup with a wheel chock mounted already and tie downs. If it is feasable/practical I can help.

Yeah details would be good. From where to where? A lot of people on here just find someone heading in that direction and have them bring it along for a nominal fee.

I reside in Newburyport, not sure where the bike will be as I am still in contact with a couple people over a coupole different bikes.

Some of the locations include wells, Maine, and Brimfield, MA.

I have a truck but just no trailer. Any tips on sticking it in the bed of a truck?

I have a 2007 double cab toyota tacoma

I reside in Newburyport, not sure where the bike will be as I am still in contact with a couple people over a coupole different bikes.

I have a truck but just no trailer. Any tips on sticking it in the bed of a truck?

just find a nice steep incline and get a ramp. The closer you can get the truck bed to the ground, the better. Then just pull the bike up into the bed and tie it down.

I bought some folding aluminum ramps at Tractor Supply. Most Lowes and HD have them as well.

call the salisbury uhaul and ask for the new "b type" 5x7 ramp trailer with motorcycle chock - they usually have one there. if its not there, check the 110 mobil uhaul location right off 495 in haverhill as it seems to bounce between the two locations. if it is unavailable at both locations and you really need it right away i know the dedham location has a couple as well.

make sure you ask them to go outside and visually verify the trailer has the nose chock if they sound unsure or don't know. it has a really long gradual ramp, lots of tie down points and rides very smooth when loaded. i've loaded, strapped and towed my 560lb k1300s without help numerous times using one of these trailers.

- Jamie
    2009 K 1300 S

what are you confused about to load your bike into the truck?

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    what are you confused about to load your bike into the truck?
    I have never transported a bike so this is all new to me.

I have a truck but I am not sure if I could tie it down properly in it.

you should have atleast 4 tie down spots in the bed of the truck. 2 in the lower front corners by the cab and 2 in the lower rear by tailgate. Thats all you need. Go around each handlebar separately and to that side tie down hook in the front. Then all you should need in the rear is one strap, run it from one side to the other, passing through the rear wheel, this keeps it from bouncing. Or you can put 2 in the rear going from the rear passenger peg sets.

2002 RC51
    -Aluminum undertail, custom GP Can and mid-pipe, Jardine 2-1 Header, PC3, EBC Wave Rotors (F&R), CRG's, Goodridge SS Lines, Greggs, Black w/ Flattening and some carbon goodies

USMC - Semper Fi
    POW/MIA - Not Forgotten

ok, gotchya, I'm sure others will chime in here as I am no expert, but I was able to do it with an older Tacoma bed:

i have an 09 tacoma with the regular bed and have hauled my speed triple with it several times. I've done it both with and without using my condor front wheel chock. If you dont use a chock just put some thick plywood or a board between the front of the bed and the tire. I use soft loop straps and ratchet straps, two on the handlebars to the front corners of the bed and two on the subframe to the sides of the bed. Its plenty sturdy this way. I even hauled a friends F4i once, worked just fine.

'96 DR350SE
    '00 KTM 200exc

'07 Speed Triple - sold
    '98 YZ125 - sold

Kaz....... pm me. I worked at a bike dealership for eons. I have loaded and unloaded many bikes by myself. I also have an F150 and ramps, tiedowns etc.

If nothing else i could take a ride with you to help out...

know my trucks bigger but ive towed my zx6 with a canyon dancer and two straps all the way to new york and several times shorter distances with no problems. for the cost of the canyon dancer its well worth it

2007 Kawasaki zx6r

I want to trailer the VFR to this Friday's Penguin day. I've never towed before, but I just bought a hitch for the Subaru (yes, the Aussie drives an Outback) and want to rent a U-Haul trailer. Are the motorcycle ones still the best bet? Do all the motorcycle trailers have the nose chock, or just some of them? I have straps and stuff somewhere, but I don't have a ramp. Plus I still need to buy the receiver ball thing.

Last edited by number9; 08-25-14 at 09:26 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast