Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Trailer Size Q's

Trailer Size Q's

I am loosely considering an enclosed trailer.

I'd like to be able to put in 2 bikes, possibly 3, although I imagine that if its big enough for 3, its big enough for 4??

I'm curious to the size I will need in terms of width and length.

What is the minimum width I want to go to get everything in comfortably?

Any other pearls of wisdom gladly accepted....

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Re: Trailer Size Q's

depends on what else you are using it for. if you want enclosed then chances are you want a table in there(fold up or not), possibly some storage, tools/toolbox, spares.
    i think Dans (legalspeed) trailer is about 15-18 i bet. 4 bikes easy, a table tool box, etc

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

just do some math. a bike is about ... what..8 ft long? and about 3-4ft wide? leave room for tie downs and extras. if you want 4 bikes i bet you will reach 20ft before you know it. 3 bikes could be done if you stagger them. i fit 3 in the back of the bus. i bet that only uses up about 10-15ft or so

TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    just do some math. a bike is about ... what..8 ft long? and about 3-4ft wide? leave room for tie downs and extras. if you want 4 bikes i bet you will reach 20ft before you know it. 3 bikes could be done if you stagger them. i fit 3 in the back of the bus. i bet that only uses up about 10-15ft or so
    Yea, I know about the math but I think there are some intangibles. There could be a few people that bought 5.5 ft wides to hold two across and say its really to narrow etc. Looking for "real world" info...

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

7x14 would be good. i would suggest v nose as well. the nose allows for a small workspace/counter/cabinates. Also the front door is convenient too. get the biggest trailer your budget will allow for

Tuono

Just Registered Crash Dummy Denno's Avatar

but you only have 2 bikes

def V-nose

Denno - CCS|LRRS EX#49
    2006 Yamaha R6
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Denno View Post
    but you only have 2 bikes

def V-nose
    But what if you find an MV mini bike on the side of the road and want to put it in?

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

^ build a nice rack on the wall to hold mini/pit bikes

Just Registered Crash Dummy Denno's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Manny View Post
    But what if you find an MV mini bike on the side of the road and want to put it in?
    thats a great memory...

Denno - CCS|LRRS EX#49
    2006 Yamaha R6
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2008

Back on topin here...

the choices I guess are 6x10, 6x 12 or 7x12 etc..

Ive got a truck so plenty of room in the bed for gear, stands tools etc....

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

Also looking for brand recommendations. So Far Ive been looking at Pace, haulmark and another one calles mission or something.

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

from experience. getting a trailer that will hold ALL your gear is a must. there is no need to be packing and unpacking shit twice. get something that will hold stands, tools, leathers and helmet. so when trackdays come all you have to do is hook up and go. none of this "did i remember everything" crap. the only thing i pack for race weekends is a cooler and some clothes. everything else is in the bus already.
    i believe the inside width of the bus is 7.5-8ft so i would imagine a 7ft wide trailer would work. you can always put a pit bike in sideways across the back.

i agree with get the biggest trailer your budget will allow, and dont forget you have to register it so take that into account in the cost of trailer.

Thule seems to make a nice trailer
    is Featherlite a brand or a model?

the bigger you go the more you should worry about weight. look into aluminum if you can

7x12 is the minimum I would recommend.

Get a back and side door.

I have this size and made the front part (area in front of the side door) into workbench space.

2 bikes comfortably fit to the rear portion of the side door... leaving you the ability to open the side door and walk in comfortably... or pile a bunch more stuff there.

If you build the workbench area right... or not at all... then another bike would be able to comfortably fit.

Notice I said "comfortably" a lot. Smaller trailers will work... but when loading and stuff it can get real tight.

Now... if weight and size is not an problem, a 7x14, 7x16, or 8x16 are really nice as they allow you to carry 4 bikes or a bunch more crap.

If you go over 7x12 or so, I would suggest dual axles. I have single axles on my 7x12 (but they are the big tires). On the bigger trailers you will likely load them down with a lot of stuff so will want the dual axles.

Also, check your tires and bearing hub regularly. Every time I stop on a long trip I walk around checking that the tires are cool and the hub is cool. 13 years of trailering with a single axle and never had a flat or any other trailer issues.

Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

Quote Originally Posted by 35racer View Post
    7x12 is the minimum I would recommend.

Get a back and side door.

I have this size and made the front part (area in front of the side door) into workbench space.

2 bikes comfortably fit to the rear portion of the side door... leaving you the ability to open the side door and walk in comfortably... or pile a bunch more stuff there.

If you build the workbench area right... or not at all... then another bike would be able to comfortably fit.

Notice I said "comfortably" a lot. Smaller trailers will work... but when loading and stuff it can get real tight.

Now... if weight and size is not an problem, a 7x14, 7x16, or 8x16 are really nice as they allow you to carry 4 bikes or a bunch more crap.

If you go over 7x12 or so, I would suggest dual axles. I have single axles on my 7x12 (but they are the big tires). On the bigger trailers you will likely load them down with a lot of stuff so will want the dual axles.

Also, check your tires and bearing hub regularly. Every time I stop on a long trip I walk around checking that the tires are cool and the hub is cool. 13 years of trailering with a single axle and never had a flat or any other trailer issues.
    Its hard to visualize the differecne between a 6x12 and a 7x12....I think I will tape it down in my garage tonight to really get a sense.

I pretty much decided its going to be 12 length as 10 really limits the space too much and a 12 foot will allow 3 bikes particulary since Im going to go with a v nose so the third bike can hang up in the front.

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

Its hard to visualize the differecne between a 6x12 and a 7x12....I think I will tape it down in my garage tonight to really get a sense.
    Two bikes, side by side in a 7 footer is tight enough. It's not so much the bike widths as it is the ability to easily move around to tie them off, load them on and off, etc.

I would encourage you to go with 7 foot wide... unless you get a real good deal on a 6 footer.

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Quote Originally Posted by 35racer View Post
    Two bikes, side by side in a 7 footer is tight enough. It's not so much the bike widths as it is the ability to easily move around to tie them off, load them on and off, etc.

I would encourage you to go with 7 foot wide... unless you get a real good deal on a 6 footer.
    Point taken.

Any advice on where to shop new?
    Used im looking on the MC forums and craigslist.

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

I see very little reason to buy a trailer new.

Assuming it was taken care of, the only thing you have to worry about are wheels and axle bearings. You can get this stuff all replaced for less than $300, and you have a basically brand new trailer.

I would go with a higher quality trailer, purchased used from someone that took care of it. Your dollars will go further.

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

I have a 6 x 12 Roadmaster and yes it's pretty tight getting two bikes in side by side but it's completely doable with room to spare.

I can't install a work bench because of certain things I use it for....like smuggling Cubans from Miami to Canada for example....but even with two bikes in and strapped there's still ample room for tools, gear, gas cans, etc.

The dealership just up the street from me is where I went. I'd be more than happy to get some pics and some prices.

I think they'd work with me on the pricing seeing how I got my truck and a trailer from them....they made the numbers I liked.

Only reason I went brand new was because of the unknowns with a used trailer.

Leaks can be covered and a bent slightly axle won't be noticed until you see your tires chopping....IMHO, hindsight is not worth the hassle.

And that's the beauty of the internet and the open marketplace...

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Quote Originally Posted by bergs View Post
    I have a 6 x 12 Roadmaster and yes it's pretty tight getting two bikes in side by side but it's completely doable with room to spare.

I can't install a work bench because of certain things I use it for....like smuggling Cubans from Miami to Canada for example....but even with two bikes in and strapped there's still ample room for tools, gear, gas cans, etc.

The dealership just up the street from me is where I went. I'd be more than happy to get some pics and some prices.

I think they'd work with me on the pricing seeing how I got my truck and a trailer from them....they made the numbers I liked.

Only reason I went brand new was because of the unknowns with a used trailer.

Leaks can be covered and a bent slightly axle won't be noticed until you see your tires chopping....IMHO, hindsight is not worth the hassle.
    Can you tell me what you paid for yours, and what it came with?

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

If you wait and keep looking you'll find crazy deals sometimes. Especially if you dont mind using regular doors instead of a ramp door. I was looking since the end of race season last year and around thanksgiving time my parents found a 7x14 carmate dual axle box nose for $1800, its a 2004 that was only used about half a dozen times....the guy just needed to get rid of it for lack of use. He was a contractor that had a couple trailers and didn't use this one.

They bought it on the spot, with plans to make me pay them back (they knew they had to jump on the deal)...but ended up giving it to me for xmas.

Can you tell me what you paid for yours, and what it came with?
    Retails for 2500 and it came with a door, some hinges, two rims (with one tire on each rim), some wood, some metal and some fiberglass.

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

It's a basic box on wheels. No real "add-ons" to speak of and that's exactly what I wanted.

I preferred the basic trailer because it allowed me to install my own tie-down cleats where I wanted and other stuff of that nature.

$2500 new? that aint bad at all.... all the ones I was looking for seemed to be double that at least new.

I have spoken to three places and all have 6x12 with "motorcycle packages" in the $3500 area. They include ramp rear door, front side door, roof and side vents, lighting, tie down cleats, v-nose with the rock deflector shiny thing, and some other doodads.

Im going to keep watching.... then Ill need to find a place to store it!

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast