Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Trailering my bike

Trailering my bike

Hi folks! Im planning to travel to Gettysburg, PA this upcoming June, around the third weekend. The trip is approximately 425 miles, taking roughly 7hrs at 60mph, according to Mapquest. Im thinking of trailering my bike. U-Haul has several locations around Boston. I'd like to know if anyone here can recommend them, or any other trailer rental businesses. Also, if anyone here owns a trailer they'd be willing to rent to me for 5-6 days. We can work out an equitable payment. I'll need all the hardware in addition to the trailer, such as hitch assembly, safety chains, and tie down straps, preferably the ratchet type to avoid any loosening. I own a 2003 Hyundai Sante Fe SUV and will be hauling my ZX900R Ninja. Also, I'd like any input on the ins and outs, do's and dont's of trailering. Thanks in advance for any and all help!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Trailering my bike

My Tip:
    If it is not a moto specific trailer try to get a wheel chock for the front tire
    Also, invest in a canyon dancer. They are inexpensive and it doesa great job of keeping the front secure without damaging body work and your throttle cable.

Trailering my bike

Great idea re: the Canyon Dancer tie downs....are they all I would need, or would I need other tie downs to stabilize the back half of the bike?

Trailering my bike

I use one tie down for each side of the dancer and one for each side on the rear of the bike, so 4 in all.

Canyon Dancer is the only way to go!

Trailering my bike

Definatly use 4 tie downs.... a lot of people only use two, but I've had them break on me before so better safe than sorry! Canyon dancers are great also!

Trailering my bike

When you tie the bike down .. don't "crush" the suspension.

You want it firmly tied but not tightly tied. It puts a lot of strain on the fork tubes. If too broke to buy a wheel chock, make one with 2x6's

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Trailering my bike

u haul does have a bike trailer, but they are hard to find at a lot. if you call way in advance they can get one for you i beleive. the middle front of the trailer sticks out a bit to accept the front tire,

canyon dancer for the front with 2 tie downs. (i dont like the ratchet straps for 2 reasons 1. they either are too loose and the bike moves around too much or 2. its too easy too OVER tighten them) if you take the extra strap that youve pulled through on the cam type and tie it off then they wont loosen on you and you can only tighten them as much as you can pull the strap.

on the other hand ratchets are perfect for the rear. i actually would run 1 ratchet strap from the floor of the trailer on one side across the swingarm through the wheel and to the floor on the other side and it worked perfect

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Trailering my bike

Originally posted by SVRACER01
    . i actually would run 1 ratchet strap from the floor of the trailer on one side across the swingarm through the wheel and to the floor on the other side and it worked perfect
    \I did too, and I have 2 little wer spots on the rear cowling now. Wear the just little vibration made it hit the plastics. Use 2 ties downs from each side. Hook it to the passenger pegs if you got them.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Trailering my bike

Originally posted by cbrf41999
    \I did too, and I have 2 little wer spots on the rear cowling now. Wear the just little vibration made it hit the plastics. Use 2 ties downs from each side. Hook it to the passenger pegs if you got them.
    ahh, you went over the seat though. i just ran it through the wheel over the swingarm. you dont have to compress the shock to keep the bike still in the rear, therefore no damage to the plastics

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Lifer

Trailering my bike

SVRacer is right on with tying off the loose end of the cam type tie downs. If the cam slips it won't be able to pull the knot through. I also make sure the loose end is tended so it doesn't whip into the bike...

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

Trailering my bike

Thanks for all input, guys!! The different ways of tying the bike down are important to consider when dealing with the plastics, and the cam and ratchet types...now all I need is for someone on here to offer me their trailer for FREE!! Ok, ok,....just being a wise-ass!