Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

New Trailer's almost done

Originally posted by Rye
    This trailer sucks. I've been fucking around with the grounding on this trailer all day and the lights are still whacked. I put the blinker on the left side and the right side faintly blinks. Step on the brakes and the trailer lights dim. I've been grinding paint all day and this fuck isn't working. How in the %^*$* did you guys get this thing to work right. Lucentone, I tried your explanation and the bitch doesn't work. How would these lights even be lighting up if the ground was shitty? I'm 2 minutes away from dowsing it in gas and ghosting it down the hill!
    You know that you need a heavy duty blinker switch when the lights are dim when they blink. You can get them at any parts store for a couple dollars. If the wrong side blinks you have the wires wrong

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    You suck at life. Why don't you quit?

My dad told me I could be anything I wanted when I grew up. So I became an Asshole.

The wires are not wrong. here's my situation. With ignition to accesory only...hit left blinker...perfect...right blinker...perfect. Brakes work. Then I turn my lights on in the truck with vehicle started...with leftand right blinker engaged the trailer blinks faintly on both side. Step on brake, lights dim on trailer and my backup lights light up on my truck...??? I have to assume at this point that the trailer is grounded, but I can't for the life of me figure out why this thing will not do what I want. I am using a simple plug-in flat 4 prong harness for my truck that is designed for the Dakota and plugs cleanly into the existing light harness on the vehicle. The trailer is wired correctly and I would have to assume the trailer is well grounded as I nearly ground off ALL the fucking powder coating!

At this point I am ready to hand it over to someone who can wire trailers correctly. This thing was a waste of money.

'95 ZX7/9
    '02 XR650R
    '78 KZ1000

Rye do you have two separate bulbs on your vehicle for brake and tail lights or just one? If you only have one you need an intergrater to make it work correctly. I had a similar problem hookin up my lights on a trailer that was already wired.

You could try going to U-Haul and tell them whats wrong. Most of them will make sure you have the correct harness set-up for your vehicle. Tell them you are going to be renting a trailer from them and want to set you vehicle up yourself.

My dad told me I could be anything I wanted when I grew up. So I became an Asshole.

I know there are two bulbs in the housing. I think one is running/brake and the other is blinker. I;ve had a boat trailer and a u-haul trailer hooked up to my truck before without any issues. I was planning on heading down there anyway, as I am out of test scenarios at this point and could benefit from someone with experience. Thanks.

'95 ZX7/9
    '02 XR650R
    '78 KZ1000

Just thinking though...would Zinc treated bolts pass current as well as standard bolts?

'95 ZX7/9
    '02 XR650R
    '78 KZ1000

Originally posted by Rye
    With ignition to accesory only...hit left blinker...perfect...right blinker...perfect. Brakes work. Then I turn my lights on in the truck with vehicle started...with leftand right blinker engaged the trailer blinks faintly on both side. Step on brake, lights dim on trailer and my backup lights light up on my truck...???
    Your reverse lights light up? That is weird.

Where are you located? I can come by and lend a hand if you want. PM me.

Spes Sibi Quisque

Just Registered

Originally posted by lucentone
    I got my trailer registered that day anyway. PM me if you want to know how.
    I think as long as the BOS doesen't say Kimberly Hinden you are all set

My trailer has been on my insurance for a few years and never cost me a dime.

The downside (and maybe someone with an expensive real trailer can comment here cause mine is one of them small cheaper ones) is that they won't insure the trailer itself for anything other then liability. So if your trailer gets jacked or the contents on it go MIA - your screwed as I understand.

Maybe it is different for larger/enclosed units? But I figure since it cost me nothing to insure I won't bitch. Odd part is I don't see it anywhere on any of my policies - but I have a reg for it?

Originally posted by lucentone
    Your reverse lights light up? That is weird.

Where are you located? I can come by and lend a hand if you want. PM me.
    Thanks for the offer! I was motivated and of sane mind today so I walked through the whole wiring setup and discovered a shitty ground on the vehicle. Wasn't the trailer at all just a loose ground and a rusty attach point. Took the trailer out for a test run... tracks well but bounces around a bit. Hopefully it will settle down with a bike on it. Thanks to everyone for your input.

'95 ZX7/9
    '02 XR650R
    '78 KZ1000

Originally posted by Rye
    Thanks for the offer! I was motivated and of sane mind today so I walked through the whole wiring setup and discovered a shitty ground on the vehicle. Wasn't the trailer at all just a loose ground and a rusty attach point. Took the trailer out for a test run... tracks well but bounces around a bit. Hopefully it will settle down with a bike on it. Thanks to everyone for your input.
    Too bad nobdy mentioned checking the grounds.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123