Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Trailers!!

Trailers!!

I'm finally getting a trailer and I've found a few on ebay for really good prices (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Brand...item2eb98d5c0d), like a grand less than anything I can buy locally. I'll be in GA in a couple months anyway so it wouldn't be too much trouble to get one of these factory direct. My big concern is whether these are junk. It's a no-name manufacturer, but the materials/build list reads very similar to the Carry On the local dealer has for sale.

Do any of you have any experience buying a trailer like this online? After tolls, extra travel cost, and negotiation the realistic price difference will probably be closer to $500, but still, that's tires.

I have to tell this local guy yes or no in a couple days since its the last 6x12 enclosed that he has on the lot until next spring. Should I hold out and get the one in GA, hoping it's a quality unit, or just soak the cost and get the one here?

Thanks

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by tropicoz; 12-07-11 at 07:35 PM.

Re: Trailers!!

I know where there's a v-nose 6x12 going for $4100 in Candia, NH.

If you want me to get more information on it, let me know.

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

I don't see anything wrong with it other than the Lippert axle. They don't have the best reputation. I prefer Dexter axles. Axles are really cheap (under 200 bucks) to change though, should it be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    I know where there's a v-nose 6x12 going for $4100 in Candia, NH.

If you want me to get more information on it, let me know.
    Absolutely....if you meant $1400. $4100 is out of my reach!

A little too good to be true. Not sure though. The guy only has 56 transactions and I believe that paypal only covers you up to 1,000. There is no pick up address on the listing.

Other than that, sounds like a wicked good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by tropicoz View Post
    Absolutely....if you meant $1400. $4100 is out of my reach!
    I'll call again but I'm pretty sure it was 41.....I remember something about it being aluminum too.

2WT

i'd keep your eyes on the FS forum here. I know Landrics Customs just had one going on there. I also just picked up a 8x5 enclosed Haulmark from here so there are sales to be had

I've seen those trailers advertised too and I'm tempted to go that route. They're less expensive than most of the good used trailers I've seen locally and they've never seen salt (or even use for that matter). I'd love to know how it turns out if you pick one up or even just scout out his operation when you are down there.

Quote Originally Posted by jcrawford View Post
    I also just picked up a 8x5 enclosed Haulmark from here so there are sales to be had
    That was a used trailer that's almost half the size of the new one he's looking at and the asking price was substantially more than what the cost of the new trailer is.

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing
    - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Computrack Boston - Lifeproof -

High maintenance priss

A couple things I noticed for reasons to stay away:

24" OC roof members. 16" would be better, but I don't know the structure of the cross-members to be certain. My trailer has 16" OC box for frame. Cheaper trailers will use Z- or U-channel.

.024 skin. This is pretty thin and the sides may end up looking like a bag of jiffypop after a couple years in the sun. High quality trailers use .030 or .040 skins.

Prices do vary all over the country, but generally I'd stick w/ a mfr who has a good rep. And you usually get what you pay for.

Last edited by keeena; 12-08-11 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Fixed

Quote Originally Posted by keeena View Post
    A couple things I noticed for reasons to stay away:

24" OC roof members. 16" would be better, but I don't know the structure of the cross-members to be certain. My trailer has 16" OC box for frame. Cheaper trailers will use Z- or U-channel.

.024 skin. This is pretty thin and the sides may end up looking like a bag of jiffypop after a couple years in the sun. High quality trailers use .030 or .040 skins.

Prices do vary all over the country, but generally I'd stick w/ a mfr who has a good rep. And you usually get what you pay for.
    Did a bit of digging and those cheaper trailers really are built with the bare bones minimum quality. The same manufacturer can put together a much better built unit but there's an up charge for every upgrade. I ended up getting a South Georgia Cargo 6x12 built right. Spent a bit more than I felt comfy with, but the trailer is NICE!!

I Love giggle drops..!! BluGixxer's Avatar

I can't see how the brand of axle will make any difference. , the only thing that really goes wrong is the bearings , or if you cut a corner and pull it over a sidewalk and bend it.
    Z channel is what is under my 1984 interstate 6 X 10 , with 3/4 plywood floor, I don't remember what the sides are but the roof is a W or U shaped with wings ,about 24 OC. I have used this to the limit. And you get out of it , how you treat it. Keep in mind that you want your trailer as light as you can have it made. Sure you can have it made with heavier ,thicker materials. But that's more that you have to pull, and less cargo wieght .
    I bought mine as a fixxer upper 12 yrs ago, new 3500# axle , new hubs , tires, and treated 3/4 plywood floor, wireing, about $900 invested, needs some paint, but it wil llast another 12 yrs.
    There are a few companies that build trailers down south that sell for a low price, I don't know how they do it, but I've seen them and if I where to buy a brand new one I would consider them.
    I didn't see anything wrong with the one listed on ebay that was posted, the 15" tires was a plus.

Beat It Like A Rented Mule !!
    Legend in my own mind

There's a company in New York that is selling new trailers super-cheap too:

http://westernmass.craigslist.org/for/2731968010.html

I'm going to give them a call later today for some more detail. I'll post up what I find.

Just for others looking, I found a Haulmark 6X12 Transport V (16 OC) for $3450 in Scituate, RI, and an RC 6X12 V (24 OC) in Seekonk, MA, for $3650. The Haulmark was clearly the better deal, and they were offering 0% for 6 months.

Last edited by loudog; 12-12-11 at 09:31 AM.
    Retired LRRS/CCS EX #212 | Woodcraft | Armour Bodies | Dainese USA |

Quote Originally Posted by loudog View Post
    There's a company in New York that is selling new trailers super-cheap too:

http://westernmass.craigslist.org/for/2731968010.html

I'm going to give them a call later today for some more detail. I'll post up what I find.

Just for others looking, I found a Haulmark 6X12 Transport V (16 OC) for $3450 in Scituate, RI, and an RC 6X12 V (24 OC) in Seekonk, MA, for $3650. The Haulmark was clearly the better deal, and they were offering 0% for 6 months.
    That's a pretty good deal. The big increase in cost for us is the transport from southern manufacturers. The one I bought would cost $500 less if I got it direct from GA.

Quote Originally Posted by tropicoz View Post
    That's a pretty good deal. The big increase in cost for us is the transport from southern manufacturers. The one I bought would cost $500 less if I got it direct from GA.
    How much did your trailer cost in the end? Please PM me if you're not comfortable posting that.

Just got in touch with the NY dude:

Diamond Cargo Trailers
    $2,595 for 6X10 with 2' V.
    $2,895 for 6X12 with 2' V.
    16" OC.
    3/8" Plywood walls.
    Dexter Axle, with EZ lube.

Forgot to ask about wall skin thickness!