Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Trans America Trail

Trans America Trail

Hey guys,

Soooooooooooooooooo, I was recently given the golden opportunity to go for a ride on the trans america trail (Google it). We are going from Tennessee to Vegas

It should be pretty bad ass. I am really looking forward to it. Has anyone does this, anything cool along the way i should be looking out for?

I will be doing the trail on a 2013 Kawasaki KLR 650 with one of my buddies. First 2 weeks in September. Camping and riding along the way, pretty psyched.

I am documenting the whole thing, going to make a little youtube documentary on it. I am doing that basically for me, Gives me a reason to use my DSLR and my gopro. I've always wanted to make a cool little video, i think this trip is a solid reason to do so.

Picking up the kwak tonight and doing a dry run tomorrow in NH on some backwoods/dirt roads shit..gotta break this bad girl in and see how she is. Riding dirt will definetly be a change. I haven't played in the mud in almost 10 years, not to mention i barely did when i was younger.

Looking for feedback from guys who have done it.

What were some cool things along the way to check out?
    Some issues you ran into?
    What the most important thing you packed?
    Suggestions?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by importcustomx; 08-14-13 at 08:35 AM.
    1985 Honda Goldwing Aspencade ::::Current:::::
    1984 Honda Interceptor VF500F ::: Project::::
    2012 Honda CBR600RR :::::Current::::
    2004 Honda CBR600f4i :::Sold:::
    2005 Honda CBR600f4i :::Sold:::

Re: Trans America Trail

Never did the trail, but I had one of the new style KLR650's.

Changes I made to the bike that greatly helped it's off road capability:

- Lowered the gearing (-1 in front)

- add a metal skid plate

- switch to a street legal knobby tire... I used Dunlop 606

- added a bar riser to make it more comfy standing up for long periods.

- changed the stock handle bar to something stronger

- added wraparound hand guards (Acerbis)

And it still handled the road fine up to about 70mph.

Have fun!

Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

Thanks Tony,

Yeah Skid plate, crash cage, and super knobby tires are on order. Not sure on the bar risers, and i agree with the bars seeming flimsy...

And i am always against using lowering links, but in this instance, i think i am actually going to lower it. After this weekends ride i will know. I am 5'7 175 lbs, and i can only one foot it..which im used to becuase every bike i've ever been on i am always 1 footed or tippy toe. But for this type of riding, just the peace of mind that i can have both feet touching a little will ease my mind. I dont predict jamming through any sections of woops at like 70mph

DO NOT lower the bike under any circumstances!!!!!!

Your weight - and the weight of your gear - will heavily compress the bike.

It is already severely hampered off road by low ground clearance - and you have to be careful going over some things.

Have I mentioned... DO NOT LOWER this bike. You will be sorry.

FYI - I am 5'8" and 185lbs

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Yeah i am with you, like i said i never lower anything, it was a thought. Ill have the biked loaded and like i said after this weekends dry run ill know how i feel.

I just gotta get comfortable with this bike, I go between my cbr600rr and a 85 goldwing aspencade..both of which i can toss around no problem, this thing though is a different beast. I have ridden a few super moto's... just need more seat time.

which after tonight..i will have some serious seat time on her.

and btw, i need to get one your trackdays under my belt..and by one, i mean all of them lol. that will be something i am trying to do in october, but pending the fundage..we shall see.

Last edited by importcustomx; 08-09-13 at 09:50 AM.

Sounds good. I found the KLR extremely comfy and easy to handle. A great cross between the other two bikes you mention!

More comfy than the 600 and better handling than the Aspencade.

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Lifer

My only words of advice: The bike will be more stable if you are on the gas!
    Have fun!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

This was a test run this weekend.

Did 600 miles even... and 150-200 were all offroad and dirt etc. Wicked fun.

Definetly not lowering the bike, no real need to. I have a hard time getting the kickstand down with boots on, mainly becuase i cant twist my foot enough to hook it...but i am going to weld a little tab on there so i can hook it and get it down.

such a sweet bike. cant wait for this ride!

The other gentleman in this is my buddy brad, no photos of me yet.

Trans America Trail-1005354_10152141728262926_1984630511_n-jpg

Lifer

I can't believe how much the Adventure segment has taken off recently. It reminds me of the 1970's dirt bike explosion...

Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    I can't believe how much the Adventure segment has taken off recently. It reminds me of the 1970's dirt bike explosion...
    yeah, I think its just the freedom and not having to deal with the bullshit of the pavement. The ride this weekend really made me contemplate why i ride on the street with my other 2 bikes when i can do this. It was great.

Also

In my efforts to make sure i can kick ass and be safe out there, i made a little fund raiser thing so i can buy some new gear...10 year old gear isnt going to cut it on this trip.

Anyone who wants to help out please feel free to do so! I would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited by importcustomx; 08-14-13 at 08:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by importcustomx View Post
    yeah, I think its just the freedom and not having to deal with the bullshit of the pavement. The ride this weekend really made me contemplate why i ride on the street with my other 2 bikes when i can do this. It was great.

Also

In my efforts to make sure i can kick ass and be safe out there, i made a little fund raiser thing so i can buy some new gear...10 year old gear isnt going to cut it on this trip.

Anyone who wants to help out please feel free to do so! I would greatly appreciate it.

Go here to help a brother out!

http://www.gofundme.com/3wqcus
    Jimmy, I got plenty of stuff you can borrow...both dirt and street gear.

Stuff that comes to mind:
    My leather jacket I used to wear on the street (medium)
    Spare set of held phantoms
    Spare back protector
    Kidney belt
    Full length dirty boots (661s, these things are fucking awesome)
    Knee/shin protection
    Dirt pants/jerseys

Let me know if you want to use any.

If you're going to be back before September 13 you can use any/all of my current race gear (besides my A helmet) as well.

Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 08-12-13 at 12:13 PM.
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Have you given any thought to the tires that you will outfit the KLR with...? I liked TKC-80's on mine but there are other choices, many actually, just curious.

Personally I would advise Progressive springs up front and a fork brace, the new rear shock should treat you well.

In the photos that you posted I noticed the Pittsfield Store... My Son's in-laws have a Winter home there, we ski Killington often becouse of that house being nearby...

I have long wanted to ride the TAT..

Have fun, be careful, we will be watching for regular posts on the progress...

Best,
    Rob

AMA ~ USCRA ~ MGNOC

2013 FLHTC, 2014 Moto Guzzi Stelvio and a Bunch of other Guzzis, '85 RZ 350 KR, '88 Hawk GT, '74 Dalesman Trails, '72 Triumph T 100 R Daytona.. etc...

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Took a glance at your gofundme link because I was curious how one goes about just randomly asking for money and saw that you had specific items in mind that you need the money for. Did you try to write to the companies that make the products that you want to see if maybe they can "sponsor" you on your trip with the materials you need in return for something simple like being mentioned in your documentary credits as well as the exposure in the video itself? Thinking mostly about the ICON jacket that is hard to miss the branding on even in video. Might be worth a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    Took a glance at your gofundme link because I was curious how one goes about just randomly asking for money and saw that you had specific items in mind that you need the money for. Did you try to write to the companies that make the products that you want to see if maybe they can "sponsor" you on your trip with the materials you need in return for something simple like being mentioned in your documentary credits as well as the exposure in the video itself? Thinking mostly about the ICON jacket that is hard to miss the branding on even in video. Might be worth a shot.
    Excellent idea....!

AMA ~ USCRA ~ MGNOC

2013 FLHTC, 2014 Moto Guzzi Stelvio and a Bunch of other Guzzis, '85 RZ 350 KR, '88 Hawk GT, '74 Dalesman Trails, '72 Triumph T 100 R Daytona.. etc...

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    That was the first thing i did, contacted their media department and local area rep...waiting to hear back.

Quote Originally Posted by RadHawk View Post
    Have you given any thought to the tires that you will outfit the KLR with...? I liked TKC-80's on mine but there are other choices, many actually, just curious.

Personally I would advise Progressive springs up front and a fork brace, the new rear shock should treat you well.

In the photos that you posted I noticed the Pittsfield Store... My Son's in-laws have a Winter home there, we ski Killington often becouse of that house being nearby...

I have long wanted to ride the TAT..

Have fun, be careful, we will be watching for regular posts on the progress...

Best,
    Rob
    Dunlop 606's will be fitted next week.

Not touching factory suspension..for my riding level and this trip..not hitting whoops or anything at 80mph... as it sits, it feels good, and its not like a Dakar race etc...

trying to keep things on the cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    Jimmy, I got plenty of stuff you can borrow...both dirt and street gear.

Stuff that comes to mind:
    My leather jacket I used to wear on the street (medium)
    Spare set of held phantoms
    Spare back protector
    Kidney belt
    Full length dirty boots (661s, these things are fucking awesome)
    Knee/shin protection
    Dirt pants/jerseys

Let me know if you want to use any.

If you're going to be back before September 13 you can use any/all of my current race gear (besides my A helmet) as well.
    Thanks Jay, what size boot?

I have jackets etc, but i need something thats looser foot and thinking i somewhat light weight..i have 2 leather jackets and a textile...most likely going to run the textile but for waterproofing just a rain jacket over it if need be. ideally that icon jacket would be great because of the extreme temp changes...going from 80-90 during the day to 30-40 at night...need something with a removable liner etc... i cant be carrying to much what if shit, having a jacket like that will help eliminate some duplicate items and free up space/weight.

and i will take you up on the knee/shin protection too if you dont mind.

I was going to run my astars boot smx's just becuase i have them...i used them this weekend and they were fine, but i think having something a little taller and made for being beat on would help.

Quote Originally Posted by importcustomx View Post
    Thanks Jay, what size boot?

I have jackets etc, but i need something thats looser foot and thinking i somewhat light weight..i have 2 leather jackets and a textile...most likely going to run the textile but for waterproofing just a rain jacket over it if need be. ideally that icon jacket would be great because of the extreme temp changes...going from 80-90 during the day to 30-40 at night...need something with a removable liner etc... i cant be carrying to much what if shit, having a jacket like that will help eliminate some duplicate items and free up space/weight.

and i will take you up on the knee/shin protection too if you dont mind.

I was going to run my astars boot smx's just becuase i have them...i used them this weekend and they were fine, but i think having something a little taller and made for being beat on would help.
    Boots are most likely 10s or whatever euro size is that equivalent. Short of being submerged for a prolonged period of time they are waterproof. The shin protection tuck into the tops of MX boots and is connected to the knee protection which straps behind your knee. I'm guessing they are long enough to tuck into your road boots if you decide to go with those.

Let me know when/if you want to take a look at the stuff. Everything is in my dad's basement and my little brother will be home all this week and can let you into the house. Feel free to fix my CRF while down there.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Sooooooooooooooooooo after being back for almost a month, i figured i would finally get to cutting some video and photos etc.

here is a quick (and by quick i mean 45 minute) video of rough footage that i put together, this was just to see how everything looked etc. i have about 2-3 hours of raw footage that i am sifting through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqvOmmUEY0s

check that out, once i get the real thing finished with actual editing and what not it will be posted.