Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to transport via Pickup Truck??

How to transport via Pickup Truck??

Hey Guys,

Does anyone have a link to a comprehensive guide (or video) on moving a bike safely in the bed of a pickup? I may or may not have to transport my new bike home in this manner depending on how the weather is and how sandy the roads stay in the next 2 weeks so I would like to make sure that I have a solid knowledge of this as well as any materials that I might need before I try to move a $7500 piece of machinery and see it tumbling down the street in my rearview mirror 10 minutes later

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2008 Ebony Special Edition ZX-6R
    1995 ZX-6 Red (SOLD)

Re: How to transport via Pickup Truck??

Where you picking it up

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Quote Originally Posted by hurstshifter View Post
    Hey Guys,

Does anyone have a link to a comprehensive guide (or video) on moving a bike safely in the bed of a pickup? I may or may not have to transport my new bike home in this manner depending on how the weather is and how sandy the roads stay in the next 2 weeks so I would like to make sure that I have a solid knowledge of this as well as any materials that I might need before I try to move a $7500 piece of machinery and see it tumbling down the street in my rearview mirror 10 minutes later
    two ratchet straps and a ramp. Roll it or drive it up, put the ratchet straps to the tie downs in the pick up and attach them to the bike. Most likely you'll need straps that wrap around your triple trees to attach too. Then tighten the rachet straps down until the bike is solid. I also recommend straps in the back to keep the back square so it doesnt move side to side over bumps. Some might think that's over kill.

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

As for loading, if you can find a bit of a hill it makes getting it INTO the truck a lot easier. At my house I'll actually back my truck up to the curb, so it gives me another 6inches-1foot of height. Takes a lot of the angle out of the ramp.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    As for loading, if you can find a bit of a hill it makes getting it INTO the truck a lot easier. At my house I'll actually back my truck up to the curb, so it gives me another 6inches-1foot of height. Takes a lot of the angle out of the ramp.
    Getting it on the truck shouldn't be a big deal. I'm picking it up at Nault's Honda/Kawi in Windham and will have basically everyone at the shop to help me. My main concern is having it tied down properly.

Of course I'm banking on just riding the damn thing home. I just don't want to risk anything if the roads are still bad. Spring needs to hurry the f*** up and get here!

1995 ZX-6 Red (SOLD)

Getting it on the truck shouldn't be a big deal. I'm picking it up at Nault's Honda/Kawi in Windham and will have basically everyone at the shop to help me. My main concern is having it tied down properly.

Of course I'm banking on just riding the damn thing home. I just don't want to risk anything if the roads are still bad. Spring needs to hurry the f*** up and get here!
    Ahh, the shop guys will help you tie it down Im sure. Just make sure to have tie downs with ya.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Its really not that complicated, but I was nervous the first time I did it as well....its the type of thing that you really want to see once or twice.

I recommend taking someone with you who has experience loading a bike. There are some dealers that will explicitly not help load a bike into a personal truck for fear of dropping it, so check with the dealer before you go there assuming you will have help.

Is it your truck? Will you be moving the bike in the bed on a regular basis for track days etc? If so, it is worthwhile to buy what you need rather than borrow. Nothing helps more than long wide ramps, a condor wheel chock, a cycle cynch some soft ties and 4 high quality ratchet straps. Do some searches on google, i remember finding some good stuff when I went through this a few years ago.

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

Quote Originally Posted by Sheppo View Post
    Roll it or drive it up,
    Don't drive it up. My friend went ass over tea kettle doing that. The ramp shot out from under the bike, he fell back on his ass and broke his tail bone, the bike fell onto the ground and broke some plastics.

Quote Originally Posted by banzairx7 View Post
    Don't drive it up. My friend went ass over tea kettle doing that. The ramp shot out from under the bike, he fell back on his ass and broke his tail bone, the bike fell onto the ground and broke some plastics.
    Yah Id never ride the bike up. That said I do have the bike running to use a little throttle while I walk up next to it (using 2 ramps obviously)

Zip Tie Alley #505

One would assume you would only ride it up if the ramp was secure, wide enough and you were confident in doing so.

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

look into to go through the bars the strap attaches to wanna say their called canyon dancers
    http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/...I--625318.html

Last edited by crowspeed07; 02-23-09 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by crowspeed07 View Post
    look into to go through the bars the strap attaches to wanna say their called canyon dancers
    http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/...I--625318.html
    Interesting, I think I'll check these out

1995 ZX-6 Red (SOLD)

ya i have a canyon dancer harness, theyre great for my zx9 but horrible for my buddies r6, all depends on where your bars are in relation to your fairings, but you can always go to the triple.

"Chatbox...It's like Vegas, for your fingers."

Originally Posted by CBR_Knight
    in my own thread, let me post this:
    first of all, nothing about sex or play with a female seems interesting or arousing to me....

"BALLS" is coming home late after a night out with the guys smelling of perfume and beer, lipstick on your collar, slapping your wife on the ass and having the balls to say "you're next!"

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

If you do not have a wheel chock I would deflate the front tire. Not all the way to the rim! This gives you a flatter/wider contact for the front wheel on and into the truck bed. Less ap to turn on you. Careful with canyon dancers. They tend to pull on the grips binding the throttle grip and possible stretching the cables.

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

My main concern is having it tied down properly.
    as everyone has stated, get some ratcheting tie-downs

if you don't have any, when purchasing, just avoid the really cheap ones, because the hook may bend and break while holding the bike

motorcycle specific tie downs are nice because you can loop the hook around back onto the strap so that there's a "soft loop" wrapping around your triple clamps instead of a metal hook

if you're unsure about whether or not the bike is tied down properly, go ahead and ask at the dealership, they should be able to help you

Last edited by breakdirt916; 02-23-09 at 07:48 PM.

There's stuff to watch out for when tieing a machine down....brake lines, throttle cables, contact with fairings, etc.

I can make it really easy for you.

I have a truck and enclosed trailer and live 13 minutes from Nault's Windham.

Expert Novice "Dangerous" Dan K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bergs View Post
    There's stuff to watch out for when tieing a machine down....brake lines, throttle cables, contact with fairings, etc.

I can make it really easy for you.

I have a truck and enclosed trailer and live 13 minutes from Nault's Windham.
    This is the best option you are going to find. You can learn from someone that knows, meet a cool cat and not mess up your new bike. I'd bring beverages for the man

Yeah I set-up my truck to haul my bike around when necessary, but I would also recommend you do it with someone else the first time. If you don't have a wheel chock in the bed, it's likely that the wheel will turn and the bike will tilt over and potentially fall (unless your tie downs are at identical angles so that one doesn't pull slightly more than the other).

For picking the bike up let someone help you and for track days and other occasions you can take your time getting ramps, proper tie downs, and a wheel chock for the bed.

I bought a cheap wheel chock on e-bay and bolted it into the bed, and I have one folding ramp with walls to keep the tires from falling off- I got it on craigslist, and I got a second ramp for me to walk up on that is one of those ReadyRamps- that doubles as a bed extender. Got that one on e-bay as well. And I just use ratcheting tie-downs that I bought at home depot to hold the bike down.

Current:
    00 Aprilia RSV-R

Past:
    06 R6
    05 R6
    97 Honda F3

Make life easy for yourself and just ride it home. You will get a clear day in the next 3 weeks for sure...have them prep it ASAP and the first nice day skip out of work and get the friggen thing.

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

the economy really sucks these days! there are plenty of people looking to make a few bucks however they can. i just bought a 6x8 trailer for $200.00-complete with three wheel chocks. trailer will hold one or two bikes. way easier than trying to get it into the bed of the f150.

later odieoh24

I always take the time to make a small wheel holder with 2x4

Like a giant I that fits in the truck only takes minutes and a hand full of screws. Left and right cross beams hold it in the bed. parrallel length wood the wheels fit in

Glen Beck is John the Baptist

yea ,tie the ramp to your reciever hitch

not sure if this will help much...but i had a thread about this last summer. i posted some pics of my final loading.

http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...to-pickup.html

it's about loading two bikes, but it's similar.

- Jamie
    2009 K 1300 S

I actually picked up my last bike in NJ and put it in my truck with the front wheel turned/locked and the kickstand down, I then pulled tiedowns on front on each side of the triple clamp down tight, the side opposite of the kickstand tighter so it was not actually sitting on its side. Then lastly I pulled 2 more tiedowns on the passenger peg mounts to the rear of the truck so it was supported in all four corners, no wheel chock or anything necessary. Then I went 80 mph for 4 hours.

LRRS #399
    MX #505

Quote Originally Posted by Manny View Post
    Make life easy for yourself and just ride it home. You will get a clear day in the next 3 weeks for sure...have them prep it ASAP and the first nice day skip out of work and get the friggen thing.
    Believe me, that's exactly what I want to do. I can't wait to get on it even if it is babying her at 25mph for 10 miles or so. Hopefully there will be a nice day for it.

1995 ZX-6 Red (SOLD)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast