Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

triumph

triumph

ok i finally looked at triumph... found a cool speed triple for a respectable price.
    thinking strongly about getting it... but i am concerned about what kind of reliability and maintenance it will require?

any thoughts?

p.s. the little ninja is gone, so i am looking to buy "very" soon ;-)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

triumph

From what I know of triumphs so far, they are a bit finicky, but nothing you can't handle man. They don't have terribly many known issues that are serious... From my experience:
    1) repack wheel bearings, they tend to dry out
    2) sometimes the EFI tuning is less than adequate due to meetings noise standards etc (may or may not be an issue with speed triple, but easily fixable)
    3) fuel fittings - cheap plastic quick connect fuel fittings, can break at inopportune times, but they are the same fuel fittings as are used by many euro bikes (aprilia, ducati, cagiva, etc). There's a recall for this, but the dealers are slow to get the news/parts. $37 apeice from dealer, $11 from ferracci and delivered in days.
    4) clutch cable - been recalled, check the recall history of the bike you get, but this is typical for all makes/models..

I don't think you will find it to be any different in terms of reliability compared most other bikes of comparable vintage/mileage. They have their own little symphony of sounds that go with em, but like ducs you get used to it Grab it man!

Cheers,
    Chris

But when we ride very fast motorcycles, we ride with immaculate sanity. We might abuse a substance here and there, but only when it's right. The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body. It is that simple: If you ride fast and crash, you are a bad rider. If you go slow and crash, you are a bad rider. And if you are a bad rider, you should not ride motorcycles.

triumph

In 17k miles on my 99, the only mechanical problem i've had was a countershaft seal that dripped a little. The bike's seen a few trackdays, also. Seal replaced under warranty almost 3 years ago.
    If you are looking for the fastest, lightest out there, look elsewhere. They are, however, an extremely fun and satisfying ride. The triple sounds great (when piped) and has gobs of useable power.
    Demo one and you'll like it .
    Cheers, Lee S.

I know i'm slow, you don't have to rub it in.
    Why, Yes! I do think you're a Wanker!

triumph

the dealership turned out to be a bunch of yahoo's... price wasn't bad but service and traffic sucked...
    i'll take my money elsewhere and find something else.

triumph

Heh, what dealership was it at?

As the sig says...

Cheers,
    Chris

But when we ride very fast motorcycles, we ride with immaculate sanity. We might abuse a substance here and there, but only when it's right. The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body. It is that simple: If you ride fast and crash, you are a bad rider. If you go slow and crash, you are a bad rider. And if you are a bad rider, you should not ride motorcycles.

triumph

naults in windham.