Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Triumph

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: New Triumph

Nice. Wonder the price will be. The current Bonneville aint cheap. They think it will take sales from the Sportster. Well, have they seen the Victory Octane?

Do not like.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

"It's okay that there's less suspension travel because there will only be one person on it."

^^^ Triumph explaining two reasons not to buy it.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

I liked it for the first 5 seconds I looked at it then I realized I don't like it at all.

Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

Not into those bikes.

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

I'm super not into bobbers, but it looks kind of pretty for a minute. Then I just think of all the reasons I'd never want it.

2019 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE
    2022 Husqvarna fe501s

It's pretty. No doubt it will work fine. Should do well with the hipster crowd; it matches that style. It would be a great choice for someone who isn't a serious rider, who just wants to ride around looking cool once in a while, ride to work on "Ride to Work Day", etc. There's a market for that, and you can't blame Triumph for seeing that and making a bike to sell to those people. Those people aren't likely to be anyone on this board, but there's plenty of them out there.

Triumph has invested heavily in the cruiser market, and seem to be doing well with it. They make about a dozen cruisers in three major groups (Bonneville-based (of which this is now one), the Thunderbirds (1700cc parallel twins), and Rocket III (2300cc inline-3))

PhilB

Last edited by PhilB; 10-26-16 at 11:24 AM.
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

If someone starts a new thread here about bikes we never thought for a second about buying this will be on my list.

It's interesting but there's something really wrong about it that I can't quite put my finger on. It's like the uncanny valley applied to bobbers.

Joe
    04 Thruxton (Street)
    01 SV650 (Track)
    75 CB400F (Future Vintage Racer)
    68 BSA Royal Star (Garage Floor Lubricator)

The best selling Triumph is the base model Street Twin. Dealers can't get enough of them. Sold out... Why? Priced new its $8700. It looks like a Triumph and goes and stops better than a 70's classic. Simple bike for casual riding. Why pay another 50% more for the 1200 version in any flavor? The Street Twin is a great casual bike and a great price point when you compare it to bikes in that genre. The rest of the 1200cc line up are heavy, expensive and sitting in the show rooms.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by ducatirdr; 10-27-16 at 06:36 AM.
    Send cash... I need a track day

defining "budget tourer" ctbandit's Avatar

I think for me the appeal of a bobber is that it's a cheap. It's a way to make a bike cool for little money. This just doesn't jive with that notion.

Hip or not, I think as a design exercise, this was pretty successful. If that is in fact what it looks like street legal out the door, then it's a pretty faithful rendition of a very fundamental style of motorcycle. Modern retro packaging is not an easy thing to pull off. I say this having a friend who owns two vincent Black shadows. One unmolested stock, and the other bobbed. I have gazed at these bikes quite a bit. lol.

It's true that the bobber's appeal is in it's home brew, one off mods. But if you were to try to design a modern bobber, you could do a lot worse than triumph has done here.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

I've put my eyes on a few of these at Triumph Suzuki of Swansea, I have to say it's really a beautiful machine. For those saying they won't sell, Steve had 5 preorders on this bike and can't keep one on the floor. Fit and finish on these bikes is really fantastic, truly designed from the ground up rather than a 1200 Bonne with some bolt on crap.

I'll be taking one out for a day once the salt clears off the road, by all accounts the 1200 is a sweetheart. I agree that this wouldn't make a great primary motorcycle, or if you had to have just one, this probably isn't it. That said, if I had money to burn this would be in the running for 2nd bike.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    I've put my eyes on a few of these at Triumph Suzuki of Swansea, I have to say it's really a beautiful machine. For those saying they won't sell, Steve had 5 preorders on this bike and can't keep one on the floor. Fit and finish on these bikes is really fantastic, truly designed from the ground up rather than a 1200 Bonne with some bolt on crap.

I'll be taking one out for a day once the salt clears off the road, by all accounts the 1200 is a sweetheart. I agree that this wouldn't make a great primary motorcycle, or if you had to have just one, this probably isn't it. That said, if I had money to burn this would be in the running for 2nd bike.
    My thoughts exactly. This is a "money to burn" Sunday-ride, let people look at it in the ice cream joint parking lot kinda bike. Personally I hope they sell. Triumph has been killing it lately IMO.

Come on, 30-somethings having expresso in the backdrop of a cobblestone street with a cross process photo filter? Can somebody say "15 miles from the dealership this'll be on Instragram parked outside the thrift shop with the caption 'chasing the miles' and me forlonly caressing the gas tank while my well-groomed beard is in suspiciously good focus"

But I concede, it does look pretty sexy. I love hipsters and their strange appreciation for artisanal motorcycling.

Last edited by Tekime; 03-19-17 at 09:58 PM.
    05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

....that isn't the new Striple

Quote Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
    The best selling Triumph is the base model Street Twin. Dealers can't get enough of them. Sold out... Why? Priced new its $8700. It looks like a Triumph and goes and stops better than a 70's classic. Simple bike for casual riding. Why pay another 50% more for the 1200 version in any flavor? //
    Seems like a really popular commuting bike, I see them in Boston all the time.

Bikes I actually want: triumph street twin.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekime View Post
    Come on, 30-somethings having expresso in the backdrop of a cobblestone street with a cross process photo filter? Can somebody say "15 miles from the dealership this'll be on Instragram parked outside the thrift shop with the caption 'chasing the miles' and me forlonly caressing the gas tank while my well-groomed beard is in suspiciously good focus"

But I concede, it does look pretty sexy. I love hipsters and their strange appreciation for artisanal motorcycling.

Seems to me it would be just about the perfect bike to buy for a partner who doesn't ride a lot, to ride together when s/he wants to ride his/her own.
    Especially if she's a she and she rocks the hotrod chick/pinup girl look.

PhilB

Last edited by PhilB; 03-20-17 at 10:41 AM.
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Fuck it. Let's all just ride SV's and call anything that isn't a hipster bike. Never use all the power anyway.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

My buddy (with the Tiger XCA) has a Street Twin for his wife. She rides every so often because she likes the look of it...and that's the only reason. He rides it every so often to keep gas running through it. He says it rides like a skateboard - it's tiny, the suspension is awful and it has no gut.

I like the looks of it myself, but that seems to be the only appeal.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    My buddy (with the Tiger XCA) has a Street Twin for his wife. She rides every so often because she likes the look of it...and that's the only reason. He rides it every so often to keep gas running through it. He says it rides like a skateboard - it's tiny, the suspension is awful and it has no gut.

I like the looks of it myself, but that seems to be the only appeal.
    It certainly would get some "treatment", but one can only go so far. And that's part of the appeal; to keep my inner asshole grounded.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Fuck it. Let's all just ride SV's and call anything that isn't a hipster bike. Never use all the power anyway.
    Way ahead of you there, brother.

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Please note, the versys is now nesr approved. SV or Versys should do just fine.

Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast